Summer Rumour Mill

sage

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

Because what you're describing isn't ''something completely different to your first team''. You're not coached to just play one very specific position. Roberto Firmino will not have been coached to be a false 9 at youth level, no chance; yet his skillset: close control, finesse and passing range led him as a pro to discover his best form in that niche striker role. It's those aforementioned skills that would have been coached- develop a multidimensional player with a wide range of skills and that will serve them better to become a pro, than to try and mould them in one set, and very specific positional style. 

We can agree to disagree, I just think you're making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill. The academy wasn't regularly producing top-level talent, maybe it will now. Let's see what happens. 

You're literally making my own point there for me though - Firmino is good at some stuff and less good at other stuff.  If he came through at a club where the first team wanted big target men to cross to, could he have adapted to that? Probably not.  If the first team wanted to sit deep and have quick strikers to play on the break, could he have adapted to that? Probably not.  You will simply never produce players that can do everything, those players just don't exist.

15 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Matt Taylor managed to keep Rotherham up last year on the lowest Championship wage bill after six years of the Rotherham yo-yo.

I’m confident of leaving League One this year, Warne’s real test comes the year after. 👍

I agree with the general point and to try and add some balance Warne averaged 1.55 points per game in his 9 games in charge of Rotherham last season (14 points). Taylor averaged 0.97 ppg (36 in 37 games). Taking Taylor's management over a full season gives 46 points so they still escape relegation but only just.

I understand that there are plenty of other factors at play (Taylor didn't handle pre-season and was appointed out of the transfer window plus Warne's teams have a history of stalling / free falling later in the season) but I did want to try and make the point that Warne's brief tenure had an important role in keeping Rotherham up in 22/23.

19 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

I agree with the general point and to try and add some balance Warne averaged 1.55 points per game in his 9 games in charge of Rotherham last season (14 points). Taylor averaged 0.97 ppg (36 in 37 games). Taking Taylor's management over a full season gives 46 points so they still escape relegation but only just.

I understand that there are plenty of other factors at play (Taylor didn't handle pre-season and was appointed out of the transfer window plus Warne's teams have a history of stalling / free falling later in the season) but I did want to try and make the point that Warne's brief tenure had an important role in keeping Rotherham up in 22/23.

Using your hypothesis Warne would have amassed 71 points during the season and would have made the play offs above Coventry & Sunderland.

……………………...I think we’ll just leave it there. 👍

Summer rumour mill my arse!

Pages about the academy 😆…..

so……………………………………………..

meanwhile!!

anyone got any more rumours? I wonder who the attacking players are we’re interested in? I suspect this is where the money will be spent fees wise as we look very light up top especially with Didzy gone 

1 minute ago, S8TY said:

Summer rumour mill my arse!

Pages about the academy 😆…..

so……………………………………………..

meanwhile!!

anyone got any more rumours? I wonder who the attacking players are we’re interested in? I suspect this is where the money will be spent fees wise as we look very light up top especially with Didzy gone 

Forwards will be purchased using money from Knight and Bielik.

1 minute ago, S8TY said:

Maybe we're waiting to see what happens (or not) with Bielik and Knight and what potential fees we might get as that'll presumably have a big bearing on what route we go down. We have to do something, clearly, and lots of teams are on the hunt for reliable goal scorers. 

Hopefully Warne hasn't convinced himself that with a few more crosses than last year that Collins will become a goal machine !

1 hour ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Using your hypothesis Warne would have amassed 71 points during the season and would have made the play offs above Coventry & Sunderland.

……………………...I think we’ll just leave it there. 👍

I have tried to be balanced by commenting on the likelihood that a Warne team would have stuttered at some point so 71 point based on ppg over the first 9 games is unlikely.

I think Warne (as well as Taylor as per your orginal post) deserves some credit for Rotherham staying up last season, what do you reckon?

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Twitter chat is that Bielik to Birmingham is close to being done. Perhaps that opens the door for an incoming striker?

Not sure that’s just twitter chat, a couple of actual journalists have said that. I think if we can raise £3-4m on Knight and Bielik combined then that will definitely help. I’m certainly of the mind that it will take a bit longer to get some of the attacking pieces in place because they’re more likely to cost money. 

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Doesn’t seem too long ago where Bielik and Knight would fetch £20m combined. That we now consider £4m as excellent business shows something has seriously gone wrong in their development.

How much more would they be worth if we hadn't been 'docked 21 points'?! 

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Doesn’t seem too long ago where Bielik and Knight would fetch £20m combined. That we now consider £4m as excellent business shows something has seriously gone wrong in their development.

What a disingenuous statement. Actual reasons...

Knight -

• 1 year left on his contract
  • Potentially doesn't want to be here
  • Wasn't particularly great last season, albeit has consistently been good for Ireland
  • We're a league one club, we don't have the option to hold onto players we once had if solid money is offered

Bielik -

• 2 ACL Injuries
  • Doesn't want to be here
  • We can't afford his wages to keep him here
  • 1 year left on his contract

Add this to the backdrop of what has happened to the club as a whole and it's obvious. It's extremely short-sighted to draw a straight line between £1m for Bielik = development is the problem.

4 hours ago, metalsheep02 said:

(Rotherham fan here)

Warne definitely got us off to a decent start but in fairness we really did ride our luck in a few of those games. We could just have easily been at the wrong end of the table. And like you say, we were always going to slide.

In contrast, Matt Taylor had very little luck. Late goals going in, referee decisions going against us and an horrific injury list. That being said, when you rely on 30+year old journey-men you'll have injuries. 

Looking forward to seeing the players Warne brings in. Big season for him.