Players on holiday

Poynton ram

2 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Third division footballers. World's on it arse.

Oh no! Young men earning a good wage enjoying themselves! How terrible.

Let's go back to when there was no professional game and players turned up for the fun of it, and were given a sunday roast, a pint of bitter and a pack of woodbines as compensation shall we?

Jesus. 

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Let's go back to when there was no professional game and players turned up for the fun of it, and were given a sunday roast, a pint of bitter and a pack of woodbines as compensation shall we?

Jesus. 

In fairness, we are in a world where third division footballers earn hugely inflated salaries.  If Cashin, Bird and co had gone into medicine as doctors, they’d be earning closer to a tenth of what they’re earning now and if they get to the top of their game (in both professions), they‘d earn senior consultant annual salaries in a week.

Therefore, I agree with the original statement.  It’s hard to blame the players for taking the idiotic fees, however it is a symptom for why we were on the brink of extinction last year.

Let’s compare to rugby, which looks a much more reasonable salary scale for professional athletes (and this is at the top level):

In the UK, the average salary of an established premiership rugby player is around 100k-150k pa. At the top end, salaries can go as high as 500-800k pa. Academy players are on 15k-25k pa, which shoots up to 40k-100k pa if/when they make the first team squad.

Edited by maydrakin

7 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Jesus. 

Good luck to them.

My step-daughter will qualify as a junior doctor this year. She currently earns more per shift as a hospital cleaner than she will as a doctor in her first year.

The world is on it's arse.

3 hours ago, maydrakin said:

In fairness, we are in a world where third division footballers earn hugely inflated salaries.  If Cashin, Bird and co had gone into medicine as doctors, they’d be earning closer to a tenth of what they’re earning now and if they get to the top of their game (in both professions), they‘d earn senior consultant annual salaries in a week.

Therefore, I agree with the original statement.  It’s hard to blame the players for taking the idiotic fees, however it is a symptom for why we were on the brink of extinction last year.

Let’s compare to rugby, which looks a much more reasonable salary scale for professional athletes (and this is at the top level):

In the UK, the average salary of an established premiership rugby player is around 100k-150k pa. At the top end, salaries can go as high as 500-800k pa. Academy players are on 15k-25k pa, which shoots up to 40k-100k pa if/when they make the first team squad.

I know a lot of comments on this thread are tongue in cheek and it's doing a wonderful job of filling the non-footy void but there is an undercurrent of 'our players aren't very good, are over-paid and shouldn't be in these flashy destinations'.

There are approx 125,000 doctors in the UK, ~45,000 of whom are consultants, and approximately 5,000 professional footballers and these 'overpaid 3rd division footballers' are probably in the top  1000 - 1500. The number of kids who want to be pro-footballers compared to rugby players or doctors is unimaginably huge.

People should listen to Trent Alexander Arnold and what he is saying about the football machine and how it expects everything from kids, from the age of 6 in some cases, and spits them out when they find a better or bigger option.

These lads have made it through hard work, perseverance and ability.

Are footballers paid too much? Possibly. But let's not sneer at them for 'only' being third division footballers. 

I played Sunday league football and have been to Pompeii. I assume I should refer myself to the Holiday Destination Being Too Nice For Your Footballing Ability Ombudsman. 

Edited by Ian Buxton's Bat
typo

14 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Good luck to them.

My step-daughter will qualify as a junior doctor this year. She currently earns more per shift as a hospital cleaner than she will as a doctor in her first year.

She knew the wage when she trained for it, and she knows the wage she will get in a few years. Junior Doctor strikes are hilarious. Go to uni forever to go into something they knew about, then strike about it. What on earth.

Anyway, back on topic...

These are holidays that anyone with a half decent job can go on. Dubai isn't the stupid priced destination you think it is unless you are staying in the the famous places. Looks like Cash is in Greece, which is even more average!

14 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Good luck to them.

Good luck to them and your step daughter too. Well done her. Luckily I guess that her earning potential over her career in either the Nhs or privately or both, vastly outweighs that of most hospital cleaners. 

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

She knew the wage when she trained for it, and she knows the wage she will get in a few years. Junior Doctor strikes are hilarious. Go to uni forever to go into something they knew about, then strike about it. What on earth.

Anyway, back on topic...

These are holidays that anyone with a half decent job can go on. Dubai isn't the stupid priced destination you think it is unless you are staying in the the famous places. Looks like Cash is in Greece, which is even more average!

I think he is on the Amalfi Coast isnt he in Italy. He has gone up even more in my esteem as this is my no 1 location aim for first summer hols without any children and he is obviously a true romantic soul. Not a quality that is usually discussed on a football forum!

16 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

I think he is on the Amalfi Coast isnt he in Italy. He has gone up even more in my esteem as this is my no 1 location aim for first summer hols without any children and he is obviously a true romantic soul. Not a quality that is usually discussed on a football forum!

Sorry, yes, just seen the image in this thread.

47 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

The image I posted shows he was at Pompeii before that. 🙂

To back up B4 a little, and considering quite a few of our players are there/have been there this year or in the past…does Dubai look a bit rubbish? Everyone always puts up the same photos of the dune buggy experience, photo in an overly cramped pool on top of a hotel or just in front of big buildings and it never seems anyone is actually there more than 5 days. Call me cynical but I dare say the advantage to Dubai is that it’s relatively easy to book a hotel and flights with a weeks notice because you didn’t make play offs?

All I’m saying is, try booking somewhere decent in Cornwall with a weeks notice eh!

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

To back up B4 a little, and considering quite a few of our players are there/have been there this year or in the past…does Dubai look a bit rubbish? Everyone always puts up the same photos of the dune buggy experience, photo in an overly cramped pool on top of a hotel or just in front of big buildings and it never seems anyone is actually there more than 5 days. Call me cynical but I dare say the advantage to Dubai is that it’s relatively easy to book a hotel and flights with a weeks notice because you didn’t make play offs?

All I’m saying is, try booking somewhere decent in Cornwall with a weeks notice eh!

Yep but nearer than Vegas. And probably less risky!