Big few years for the Rams

Just reading comments off different league one groups and EFL pages. The hostility and hatred towards us is absolutely shocking but stands as a reminder of what Mel did to us and made it easy for us to be probably one of the most hated teams in the EFL. 
it’s more than building a better relationship with the  EFL , or improving the squad. It’s more important than that it’s building the reputation of our great club again to the point that we become an afterthought rather than a product of anger or mockery!

10 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Just reading comments off different league one groups and EFL pages. The hostility and hatred towards us is absolutely shocking but stands as a reminder of what Mel did to us and made it easy for us to be probably one of the most hated teams in the EFL. 
it’s more than building a better relationship with the  EFL , or improving the squad. It’s more important than that it’s building the reputation of our great club again to the point that we become an afterthought rather than a product of anger or mockery!

We were an easy target, part hate, part jealousy as it wasn't that long before that we were everyone's '2nd team' under Mac1. There'll soon be others to take our place.

1 minute ago, simmoram1995 said:

The thing is though, as has been discussed many times, if you just rely on comments made by the minority of supporters who post on social media, it’s rarely going to look good. Take Sheffield Wednesday for example. Before Sunday there were many of their fans seemingly looking forward to the prospect of knocking Derby out of the playoffs. But, on the tram before and after the game, I had very friendly conversations with several Wednesday supporters. All were interested in our circumstances and wished us well. I appreciate I also only engaged with a very small minority of their supporters but it proves the point (to an extent) that you don’t have to take online comments as representative of the majority. At the end of the day though, does it really matter what fans of other clubs think of us? In terms of reputation, all we should be concerned about is the opinion potential new players may have of the club, it’s management and ownership. I’m really not bothered about Derby becoming a popular (or less hated) club amongst other supporters. That gets you nowhere.

Like Tamworth said, just an easy lazy target for those who like to fire off angry nonsense on social media.

I don't doubt that there is a lingering negative perception of the club due to the Mel Morris era but that'll settle down and fade away over time as we go back to being a well run, well supported club without the drama and focus on being a good team.

There'll be those who say if we'd got promoted at the first attempt then we'd not been punished enough, but, those are the people who would probably say we'd not been punished enough regardless of what punishment the club received. 

I know there's been an air of arrogance from ourselves and the whole Mel on strings photo will haunt us for a long time to come. But it is staggering how the general consensus is that we're a hated team. I doubt many people know the ins and outs of why we got done for cheating (I say this as i still maintain we didn't do much wrong). Yet because we did get the guilty verdict everyone has taken it at face value. 

Man City are arguably more corrupt but because they can afford the super lawyers they get off through a loophole and nobody bats an eyelid. 

I dare say being known as Frank Lampard's Derby and Wayne Rooney's Derby hasn't done us any favours either. Kept us in the spotlight and stopped us from sweeping our misdemeanours under the carpet. 

In time with DC at the wheel things will get forgotten but Mel's ego really has come with some serious baggage. 

2 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

Couldn't give a s***.  They're just jealous because they're a load of no marks.  Point them in the direction of Stoke, Man City etc the list is endless.

We broke no actual rules - end of story - the administrators accepted a punishment of minus 9 points or we couldn’t move forward  - Mel Morris gave us the extra minus 12 points for administration - the real punishment was having embargo after embargo and restrictions after restrictions while the EFL tried to worm a case against us to please outside parties which cost us a fortune in player sales or lack of player sales. 

11 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We broke no actual rules - end of story - the administrators accepted a punishment of minus 9 points or we couldn’t move forward  - Mel Morris gave us the extra minus 12 points for administration - the real punishment was having embargo after embargo and restrictions after restrictions while the EFL tried to worm a case against us to please outside parties which cost us a fortune in player sales or lack of player sales. 

As well as academy departures because we weren't even allowed to give them game time. Couldn't even loan them out as we weren't allowed to sign freebie loanees.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

The thing is though, as has been discussed many times, if you just rely on comments made by the minority of supporters who post on social media, it’s rarely going to look good. Take Sheffield Wednesday for example. Before Sunday there were many of their fans seemingly looking forward to the prospect of knocking Derby out of the playoffs. But, on the tram before and after the game, I had very friendly conversations with several Wednesday supporters. All were interested in our circumstances and wished us well. I appreciate I also only engaged with a very small minority of their supporters but it proves the point (to an extent) that you don’t have to take online comments as representative of the majority. At the end of the day though, does it really matter what fans of other clubs think of us? In terms of reputation, all we should be concerned about is the opinion potential new players may have of the club, it’s management and ownership. I’m really not bothered about Derby becoming a popular (or less hated) club amongst other supporters. That gets you nowhere.

Warnes upset them it seems. The biggest outpouring of rage that we played them twice and couldn't score so how dare we have the temerity to suggest we could win over two legs.  Should we point out the obvious, that the only goal they scored over two games was a penalty that didn't exist and for a third of over 3 hrs game time, we had 10 players and they still didn't score.

I find it strange, the level of vitriol aimed at us for 'our cheating' which only resulted in us getting into severe financial difficulties and relegation. Compare this to the almost acceptance of the cheating from clubs like villa, Bournemouth (twice) and many others, who actually benefited from their cheating.

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

I find it strange, the level of vitriol aimed at us for 'our cheating' which only resulted in us getting into severe financial difficulties and relegation. Compare this to the almost acceptance of the cheating from clubs like villa, Bournemouth (twice) and many others, who actually benefited from their cheating.

Oh yeah, our most unforgivable sin was failure. Football forgiveness of success is infinite.

The main thing that's pissing other supporters off at the moment is that no matter what the EFL/Mel did to us, we still sold 20,000 season tickets, had a bigger average attendance than some Premier teams, most of the Championship and every club in League one and two. They can't understand why we are so well supported and nearly reached the playoffs when we should be struggling near the bottom of the division, and it's doing their little heads in.

3 hours ago, ram59 said:

The size of our online fanbase plays a big part in this. You see it a lot with Leeds as well, we get far more media outlets targeting us for articles because the size of our online presence ensures clicks. This then creates an echo chamber though where we see disproportionately high numbers of articles about us and so more people read about us as a by-product. 

Couple this with the general confusion about our 'misconduct'- the amount of people who STILL believe that our punishment was for selling the stadium and 'cooking the books' is honestly astonishing. These types tend to get quiet very quickly though once it's pointed out we only got punished or our amortisation method which wasn't even explicitly against the rules... 

Combine these two together and it's where this perception that we're 'bad guys' has come from; misunderstanding and it being pedalled by the media a lot. 

I’d suggest it’s only the minority of fans from clubs in our division too. 
Work with mostly Man City /Utd and they don’t give a duck or mention anything to me. For the most part it’s ‘How are Derby doing?’