Portsmouth (H) Sat 29th April

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Their goal looked offside on the replay, but given that the same lino failed to give us a clear corner in the 2nd half when Davies challenged at the post on the lino's side, I'm not surprised he wasn't looking when it mattered. Probably doing selfies with the lower Guthrie.

With the benefit of freeze frame replays it does appear to be offside but it looks extremely tight. So, without seeing it from the assistant referees angle in real time, it’s hard to be too critical. Poor marking (as was our goal).

11 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

With the benefit of freeze frame replays it does appear to be offside but it looks extremely tight. So, without seeing it from the assistant referees angle in real time, it’s hard to be too critical. Poor marking (as was our goal).

Agreed, too tight to be too critical of the decision, but it would be nice for a 50/50 to go our way once in a while.

16828594288827392722564113981823.jpg

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Spreadsheets and pivot tables incoming regards our record against teams in the top half of the table.

Ask & you shall receive Tyler 😆

Full gory detail for you to digest (and then presumably dismiss for reasons unknown);

image.png.66fc49f63909a7a71a5aff3730023eca.png

Last time I pointed out Warne's record, you purported not to understand the relevance so please allow me to explain;

1. Next week we will likely need a result away at Hillsborough to finish top 6. So far this season we have not gained one single win away from home against a top half team & in fact only two points away from home under Warne against top half sides. Now whilst they may rest some players, it doesn't exactly bode well does it?
  2. In the event we do finish top 6, we will need to win at least two games to win the playoffs. Looking at those stats above, that doesn't seem tremendously likely
  3. In the event we do stay down, Warne's inability to engineer results against better teams doesn't suggest anything better than another playoff push next year. Small squad we may have but we have a midfielder in League One team of the year, a striker who clearly should have been & a number of players who were perfectly competent in the division above. I don't see the quality level dramatically increasing over the summer in short.

Just to note our victories over Wycombe, Peterborough & Barnsley were all under Rosenior - in fact, he has more wins against top half teams in 9 matches than Warne has managed in 36. Not great eh?

So I'm going to carry on pointing Warne's record out until it either improves or he leaves. Hope that's OK with you 👍

Edited by LeedsCityRam

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Just shows how utterly pointless and inaccurate these stats are. How can Pompey score a goal and force Wildsmith to make two outstanding saves and yet they only had 1 clear cut chance? 

This discussion was had last week with this poster.

They we’re told what a load of s**** it was back then.

Yet here they are, back with the same s****!

45 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Full gory detail for you to digest (and then presumably dismiss for reasons unknown);

Last time I pointed out Warne's record, you purported not to understand the relevance so please allow me to explain;

1. Next week we will likely need a result away at Hillsborough to finish top 6. So far this season we have not gained one single win away from home against a top half team & in fact only two points away from home under Warne against top half sides. Now whilst they may rest some players, it doesn't exactly bode well does it?
  2. In the event we do finish top 6, we will need to win at least two games to win the playoffs. Looking at those stats above, that doesn't seem tremendously likely
  3. In the event we do stay down, Warne's inability to engineer results against better teams doesn't suggest anything better than another playoff push next year. Small squad we may have but we have a midfielder in League One team of the year, a striker who clearly should have been & a number of players who were perfectly competent in the division above. I don't see the quality level dramatically increasing over the summer in short.

Just to note our victories over Wycombe, Peterborough & Barnsley were all under Rosenior - in fact, he has more wins against top half teams in 9 matches than Warne has managed in 36. Not great eh?

So I'm going to carry on pointing Warne's record out until it either improves or he leaves. Hope that's OK with you 👍

Your stats do look depressing, but you state that we will likely need a result at Wednesday, which stats lead you to that conclusion, because Peterborough have lost away to everyone else in the top 9 this season?

We should all know by now, that nothing is certain in football, no matter what the stats say.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

Your stats do look depressing, but you state that we will likely need a result at Wednesday, which stats lead you to that conclusion, because Peterborough have lost away to everyone else in the top 9 this season?

We should all know by now, that nothing is certain in football, no matter what the stats say.

So you're comfortable if we get beat at Hillsborough then? By the way, stating Peterborough's record against the 'top 9' looks highly selective. The highest placed team we have beaten away is Exeter in 14th, Peterborough have beaten higher placed teams Lincoln & Shrewsbury away from home. They've also shown themselves comfortable against top 6 by walloping Plymouth 5-2 & beating Sheff Weds.

The uncertainty you allude to is mostly due to not knowing how many players (if any) Barnsley or Sheff Wed will rest or their motivation for the game. In an ordinary scenario, both Derby & Peterborough would be outsiders given their records to date..which is my point certainly with respect to Derby.

17 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I responded to this tweet saying best away support we’ve had at pride park this season. Genuinely thought they were, never stopped the entire game when we were battering them early on, when they were winning when we equalised. Amazing support - hope their crew didn’t cause too much damage though as I did see a lot of police vans - all clubs have morons

Don't think the 6.57 crew is still a thing but they certainly used to have a bit of a rep.

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

So you're comfortable if we get beat at Hillsborough then? By the way, stating Peterborough's record against the 'top 9' looks highly selective. The highest placed team we have beaten away is Exeter in 14th, Peterborough have beaten higher placed teams Lincoln & Shrewsbury away from home. They've also shown themselves comfortable against top 6 by walloping Plymouth 5-2 & beating Sheff Weds.

The uncertainty you allude to is mostly due to not knowing how many players (if any) Barnsley or Sheff Wed will rest or their motivation for the game. In an ordinary scenario, both Derby & Peterborough would be outsiders given their records to date..which is my point certainly with respect to Derby.

I was just illustrating that the stats suggest that Peterborough will lose and we won't need a result at Wednesday. I was also illustrating that stats can be manipulated to back up many different views. Just as stats suggested that we needed to win yesterday to stay ahead of Peterborough.

6 hours ago, ram59 said:

Agreed, too tight to be too critical of the decision, but it would be nice for a 50/50 to go our way once in a while.

i read earlier today that FIFA (?) have trialled a new offside rule in Italy (where many new ideas are tested), where the offside flag only gets raised if there is clear daylight between the attacker and the defender(s), so if the two players have parts of their bodies in line with each other it is not offside.

My only concern is that it was formulated by Arsene Wenger, who as Arsenal manager never, ever managed to see anything untoward, but the trial has resulted in more goals. Also it might mean less need for VAR, which has to be a good thing.

3 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Don't think the 6.57 crew is still a thing but they certainly used to have a bit of a rep.

They made the mistake once, having beaten up a load of 15 yr olds in an arcade, of attacking the Shimla Club on Normanton Road and pissing off a load of quite hard Jamaican geezers.  They didn't bother coming back.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

They made the mistake once, having beaten up a load of 15 yr olds in an arcade, of attacking the Shimla Club on Normanton Road and pissing off a load of quite hard Jamaican geezers.  They didn't bother coming back.

I didn't have my reading glasses on and misread that as the Shinnie club and thought that you were saying that the south coasts finest were seen off by a gang of short bearded Scotsmen....😉🤣

6 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

The stats don't come into it when its a one of game for Derby & Peterboro. They both need to win, Barnsley & Wednesday don't. So it's a bit like a cup match for the current 6th and 7th placed team. Once that's decided and sorted its more cup games for 4 teams, you just have to ignore stats and see what happens.

11 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

It's a perfectly valid observation, politely put and well reasoned and certainly not as over-posted as some opinions / responses on here. I suppose I fall somewhere in the middle in that I probably assign more credit to the the unbeaten run, but the I agree that the nagging doubt with PW remains the same as the day he was announced.

For clarity, I'm currently thinking he's probably done (just) enough to earn a proper transfer window, some fresh bodies and full pre-season with the new squad, but the remaining nagging concern is that we are, in no small manner, then locked into yet another squad re-build and also committed to a style of play that may not see us prosper outside of this division. The counterargument, FWIW, would be that our season is far from over and promotion would see any such concerns, if not allayed, then rendered moot. 

16 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Just out of interest, how has Warne had 36 matches against top half teams?

17 hours ago, ram59 said:

Whereas this ‘offside’ given when Collins was through on goal also had a potentially huge impact on the result…

Also  posted under ‘Fine Margins’ 

05F220E9-5F0A-42B0-B927-76A56794F049.jpeg

On 29/04/2023 at 20:36, Red Ram said:

Well not on today's evidence given that Collin's scored. Also thought he had a positive impact in general when he came on. Used his physicality to good effect and held the ball up. But it's a fair question.

Yer but …. Lets not muck about We all know hes been s*** over the course of the season. Lol.. no offence james lol

5 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

It's a perfectly valid observation, politely put and well reasoned and certainly not as over-posted as some opinions / responses on here. I suppose I fall somewhere in the middle in that I probably assign more credit to the the unbeaten run, but the I agree that the nagging doubt with PW remains the same as the day he was announced.

For clarity, I'm currently thinking he's probably done (just) enough to earn a proper transfer window, some fresh bodies and full pre-season with the new squad, but the remaining nagging concern is that we are, in no small manner, then locked into yet another squad re-build and also committed to a style of play that may not see us prosper outside of this division. The counterargument, FWIW, would be that our season is far from over and promotion would see any such concerns, if not allayed, then rendered moot. 

I suspect your thinking is shared by the majority of folk on here & is a very reasonable position to take. Like you though I am concerned about the direction of the squad re-build but am hoping the new Head of Recruitment buys players for the long term improvement of the club rather than those specifically tailored for Warne's style. 

Didn't especially want to be drawn into highlighting his record again given we're on the cusp of the playoffs but there appears to be a campaign from certain posters to downplay his record & what we can reasonably expect from him going forward given the sample size to date. Interesting also that those replying to my post have fixated on next week rather than the points about longer term implications of him staying. Contrary to attempts to polarise debate though, I actually like Warne as a person & would like him to succeed long term here - but he needs to be better. I can make peace with him staying for next season.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

18 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

It's also a relevant factor to mention that Barnsley, Wycombe and Peterborough were not as in form at the beginning of the season than when we faced them under Warne. I also think it should be mentioned that regarding your away from home statistic, we played Charlton, Lincoln, and Fleetwood away (the worst teams in the top half) under Rosenior which of course were the ones most likely to achieve three points in. This skews the statistics. 

1 hour ago, Rambam said:

Whereas this ‘offside’ given when Collins was through on goal also had a potentially huge impact on the result…

Also  posted under ‘Fine Margins’ 

05F220E9-5F0A-42B0-B927-76A56794F049.jpeg

The ball is being received, you don't think the defender was quicker than Collins? 😄