Could have been a contender?

dog

Just reading the latest from Everton about Dele Alli and was wondering about other players who got to a certain level only to fade away (not through injury)

There's a few cautionary tales out there...

So everyone lists players who had injuries 

Whilst not a spectacular a demise as Alli, both Owen and Fowler were never the same by their mid 20s. A common theme is a lot of high level games played at a young age. 

Freddie Adu, American teenage sensation that blew up all over the worlds media about 12 years ago, had the biggest clubs in the world looking at him and was the poster boy of the US men’s team. 

Couldn’t handle all the fame and pressure and his career spiralled ended up playing in some proper backwater obscure leagues. 

is 33 now, pretty sad for him really 

I knew Lewis McGugan from school. The guy was playing for England U17s at 14 and was highly rated.

I thought he would have become a PL regular, but he disappeared after his initial breakthrough at Forest.

By 25 he had lost his way, and then he pretty much retired by 28.

I’m surprised he didn’t try to resurrect his career in the US or something.

36 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I knew Lewis McGugan from school. The guy was playing for England U17s at 14 and was highly rated.

I thought he would have become a PL regular, but he disappeared after his initial breakthrough at Forest.

By 25 he had lost his way, and then he pretty much retired by 28.

I’m surprised he didn’t try to resurrect his career in the US or something.

Bloke who did the maintenance at my old job knew his family.  At Sheff Wednesday and before he went there he could have gone back to Forest but would have been less wage it seems.  Probably a wrong choice 

A lot of ex United ones. 

Burke, Ravel, Macheda...

Callum Ball always seemed to score tons in the kids/ressies and looked capable at times in the first team, just couldn't quite get to grips with senior football. From that West Ham goal to dropping off the face of the earth. 

I used to watch Saul Deeney at Basford and thought he was way too far down the football pyramid for his age and ability.

There's so many which have been hampered by injury. Quite tragic when you think that all they've focused on is football and not school. Not that getting a degree has done me much good! 

I would probably go for Michael Johnson from.City. He was a special talent. Shame.

Tonton, Adu, Samba etc were all FM legends but not sure they have a great deal in the tank. 

Special mention for Wilshere. He would have been a Ballon d'Or winner had he been able to keep fit. 

On a Derby note, Christie would have been a splendid striker had he not crippled himself. I remember playing FM (or ChampMan as it was) back in the day and he was incredible, England regular, golden boot etc. Not that FM is gospel but it's close. 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Bloke who did the maintenance at my old job knew his family.  At Sheff Wednesday and before he went there he could have gone back to Forest but would have been less wage it seems.  Probably a wrong choice 

To say he was an early developer is an understatement.

I was in his school year so played football with and against him regularly. He was a monster at 14. So much quicker, stronger and athletic compared to your average 14 year old. He ran rings around us and other kids of decent quality. It’s why he was playing England U17 despite still being in year 9/10. By year 11 he was barely in school anymore as at 15/16 he would have been training at Forest full time before making his debut at 17.

Long story short. It’s amazing how once he turned pro, he no longer stood out at a physical specimen and in contrast looked quite slow. He is amazingly only 5ft 9inch (he towered over everybody in my school year), and slight.

It has made me realize just how athletic top pros are.

Man City’s Nathan Ake looks small. But even he is two inches taller than McGugan (and myself being 5ft 9inch too).

Crazy.