Could have been a contender?

dog

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

To say he was an early developer is an understatement.

I was in his school year so played football with and against him regularly. He was a monster at 14. So much quicker, stronger and athletic compared to your average 14 year old. He ran rings around us and other kids of decent quality. It’s why he was playing England U17 despite still being in year 9/10. By year 11 he was barely in school anymore as at 15/16 he would have been training at Forest full time before making his debut at 17.

Long story short. It’s amazing how once he turned pro, he no longer stood out at a physical specimen and in contrast looked quite slow. He is amazingly only 5ft 9inch (he towered over everybody in my school year), and slight.

It has made me realize just how athletic top pros are.

Man City’s Nathan Ake looks small. But even he is two inches taller than McGugan (and myself being 5ft 9inch too).

Crazy.

Sounds similair to Liam Delap.

On 14/04/2023 at 17:58, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Lowe was always a more reliable player to me than Bogle and a bit unlucky.  Bogle was getting games, particularly toward the end, where he was found wanting.  He also singlehandedly gave Forest 2 goals in 12 months.  

Bogle was clearly the more talented of the two. To be fair to both, injuries have held them back.

21 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Anyone know what happened with Lewin Nyatanga? He also seemed to stop playing at around 27 years old and hasn’t played since.

I remember reading an interview a while back, probably one of these:

https://thederbybook.wordpress.com/2020/07/12/sitting-down-with-lewin-nyatanga/ - From 2020

https://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/lewin-nyatanga-i-know-a-lot-of-footballers-who-hate-football/ - From 2021

Fell out of love with the game (at 11!) / saw it as a job, didn't truly enjoy it despite his relative success etc. One of those. Team leader / personal trainer at a gym near Northampton now.

Edited by Kokosnuss

On 14/04/2023 at 12:04, sage said:

So everyone lists players who had injuries 

Whilst not a spectacular a demise as Alli, both Owen and Fowler were never the same by their mid 20s. A common theme is a lot of high level games played at a young age. 

I'd say it was much the same for Rooney. Best player in the world age 17. A passenger for England from his mid-20s onwards.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I'd say it was much the same for Rooney. Best player in the world age 17. A passenger for England from his mid-20s onwards.

rooney won everything there was to win as a player

how could anyone say "what could have been" with rooney?

think the question needs redefining if he is the answer

and if you are talking about genuinely world class players that didnt achieve what they could then it's brazilian Ronaldo

he was haaland levels at his age, yet managed 1 league title & a UEFA cup in his club career. for a player as good as he was in his early 20s and teens that is pretty disappointing even with the world cups

On 18/04/2023 at 17:46, Yoxoram said:

Bogle was clearly the more talented of the two. To be fair to both, injuries have held them back.

But it was Max Lowe who played in the FA Cup semifinal yesterday. And likely to be playing in the Prem next season. Neither of them have quite faded away yet.

When you start really analysing it, the majority of young players actually go backwards throughout their career. It’s exactly why I’ve always been surprised at clubs buying expensive young players for their potential, when the vast majority go the wrong way anyway. 

Obviously there are some high profile ones, i.e. Alli, but generally there is a ton. Just consider how many academy prospects we’ve brought through, who have broke into the team, very few went on to better things - certainly not in the long term.