The DIY Help Thread

Day

IMG_1290.gif

I have a kitchen.

I have a built in dishwasher in that kitchen.

The kitchen cupboard door that the dishwasher door screws into has come off.

The holes are damaged, not a simple case of just screwing back in as it won’t hold.

No way of repositioning the screw holes in the dishwasher door either.

Mrs reckons just wood fill it no screw back in, my argument is that won’t hold and just crumble away.

Apart from buying a new kitchen, what can I do?

2 hours ago, David said:

IMG_1290.gif

I have a kitchen.

I have a built in dishwasher in that kitchen.

The kitchen cupboard door that the dishwasher door screws into has come off.

The holes are damaged, not a simple case of just screwing back in as it won’t hold.

No way of repositioning the screw holes in the dishwasher door either.

Mrs reckons just wood fill it no screw back in, my argument is that won’t hold and just crumble away.

Apart from buying a new kitchen, what can I do?

Use the sink

8 minutes ago, Ramrob said:

Use the sink

If you count all the minutes we waste in our lifetime sat on the toilet, I will not be wasting anymore stood there washing the pots when we have machines that can do it for us.

I don't even waste a second on turning my lights on in this house!

11 minutes ago, David said:

If you count all the minutes we waste in our lifetime sat on the toilet, I will not be wasting anymore stood there washing the pots when we have machines that can do it for us.

I once worked out that I'd spent around 15 hrs a year standing at two sets of traffic lights.  Over 21 years, that was 3 weeks I'd spent standing staring at these cars on the same spot.  That s*** twists your melon man.  I advise against it.

1 hour ago, David said:

Sorry @David I couldn’t resist.

Wouldn’t be without my dishwasher either (insert wife joke here).

I sadly have no advice on how to fix it.

A blanking piece of wood to cover the old screw holes, But this may offset linement🤷‍♀️with the cupboard door.

Now seen the pics, Plug holes with wood, Re drill holes and use dowels...PS they aint this big 😁image.thumb.png.2a9dd9f27cc681004d8949f2ddf90686.png

Edited by The Last Post

5 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Similar problem with a kitchen unit door. Filled the hole with no more nails, let it dry, drilled it back (small drill  bit) so screw does not rip through. It is still attached.

This!

or flood the hole with pva wood glue, let it set and do the above.

Seriously, you need to drill-out the damage with a hole saw of at least 30mm diameter to envelope all the damaged area, (without breaking through to the front side obvs.). 

you then need to plug your nice clean holes with a dowel of the same diameter (i.e. a tight fit), using wood glue. Plane/sand flush when dry. Drill small diameter pilot holes in your repaired door before final refitting.

Unless you’re a joiner, probs easer to trace an original new door tho.