The DIY Help Thread

Day

Right. I'll give drilling it out, dowell, wood glue. What's the worst that can happen?

May as well have a go at bodging it before replacing.

Replacing be hard as it's a new build, no idea where the kitchen is from.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

Seriously, you need to drill-out the damage with a hole saw of at least 30mm diameter to envelope all the damaged area, (without breaking through to the front side obvs.). 

you then need to plug your nice clean holes with a dowel of the same diameter (i.e. a tight fit), using wood glue. Plane/sand flush when dry. Drill small diameter pilot holes in your repaired door before final refitting.

Unless you’re a joiner, probs easer to trace an original new door tho.

Is your dowel a slice off a broom handle? This is David your giving instructions too.

Might be easier just to redrill a hole through the dishwasher door a bit lower down. You know Sods Law says that the dishwasher will pack up soon after or the trouble and strife will want a new kitchen.

Just go for new door frontals all around.  Then you’ll have sorted your dishwasher and made her indoors happy too.

Just now, Boycie said:

Is your dowel a slice off a broom handle? This is David your giving instructions too.

Might be easier just to redrill a hole through the dishwasher door a bit lower down. You know Sods Law says that the dishwasher will pack up soon after or the trouble and strife will want a new kitchen.

Just go for new door frontals all around.  Then you’ll have sorted your dishwasher and made her indoors happy too.

Not listening to you, wasn’t it you that put it on in the first place? Was either you or my mate Shep, can’t remember.

Want a job doing, do you it yourself they say right?

The ‘no more nails’ solution sounds easy, but I’m not a bodger, so I have no first hand experience of the stuff?

if it’s a new build, then someone at the firm should know who’s manufactured the kitchens. Whether you can get anyone arsed enough to find out is another matter tho. 

Edited by Grumpy Git

1 hour ago, David said:

Not listening to you, wasn’t it you that put it on in the first place? Was either you or my mate Shep, can’t remember.

Want a job doing, do you it yourself they say right?

Nope, not me, it was another of your home help.

On 07/04/2023 at 10:37, David said:

Replacing be hard as it's a new build, no idea where the kitchen is from.

Ah - I probably didn't explain myself fully. Knowing the original manufacturer is not necessarily a mandatory piece of information

For example, I knew mine was Homebase and I knew the range and the colour names. However, Homebase quoted an arm and a leg for one door, because they are only interested in selling huge kitchen orders. When I searched the range and colour name elsewhere I found absolutely nothing else online. Turns out that is because the big retailers deliberately obfuscate the standard names and colours to prevent people realising that they could buy the same kitchen piece meal for cheaper

Go to somewhere like

https://www.kitchendooroutlet.co.uk/

and if you hover over "kitchen doors" you'll see the 7 main styles of kitchen door in general UK circulation. Hard to tell from the pics but I think yours looks like plain white. Pretty sure if you play with the filters you will find something the same as what you have - and you can order a custom size if necessary (Homebase also slightly change their door sizes from standard for the same reason as above) . you can get them pre-drilled as well

Rawl plugs stuck in with CT1 ( buy any builders merchant ) is the way to go , if you want to go belt and braces then CT1 a small square piece of thin metal over the top of the rawl plug then pilot drill and re screw , that will out last the whole door and dishwasher easily, no need to thank me as I’m at a loose end after deciding to swerve london to derby drive today fearing bank holiday traffic getting home tonight 🤷🏻‍♂️