Referees

Seaside Ram

12 minutes ago, estinnes said:

Exactly, the referee could have easily double checked, the linesman could have equally have said what are you doing?! 

We pay enough money to not have to put up with officials that are still learning... Go and learn at grass routes level!

This is where they come from, Most likely being an official since he was a teen, Kids on a Sunday Morning, Progressing to Saturday football and climbing up the Referee ladder, He's had some good scores I'd say as clubs have to score the officials for him to be promoted.

My concern is, Some are being fast tracked, The Australian in the Championship, The Scotsman in the Barnsley game who left the Scottish game after personnel threats, Our game is full of "novices" who never became footballers as they couldn't kick a ball so became a referees.

Almost 30k there yesterday...a game that was too big for him...imo 

Not allowing the goal was a scandalous decision.
Whoever is in charge of these “officials” should ban them for the next 6 matches on the grounds of incompetence. 
For heavens sake, the cretins even admitted that they’d got it wrong.  

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

That "goal" yesterday reminded me of one we had disallowed incorrectly for a non-existant foul on the keeper (Byrne direct from a corner iirc) back in 20/21, which cost us a point. The number of critical errors committed by the officials seemed to escalate that season and have got worse each season since. I don't care how other teams have been affected by this apparent deterioration in officiating standards, I only care that we seem to have suffered allot more than we've benefited, this season being the worst so far.

Something has to be done to reduce the number of errors, be that VAR or something like teams being able to call for a couple of reviews each per game. 

"Swings and roundabouts" is a meaningless cliché now.

Here's a novel idea: even without VAR, maybe the 4th official (who presumably can hear everything being said between the other 3 officials) could put aside practising putting the wrong number of added minutes on the electronic board, and instead do something useful by saying to the ref: "Sorry ref, perhaps you didn't hear properly but the lino said he didn't see anything... so on what basis are you disallowing the goal?"

It's quite perverse really.

The lower down the leagues the lower quality of refs you get, they don't have any help, there's no backup / safeguarding system but the impact of their incorrect decisions is perhaps wider and more detrimental to the clubs on the end of them than it is for clubs higher up the pyramid. Clubs who's very existence can hinge on a few hundred grand.

Meanwhile you've got the 'best' referees in the Premier League yet they get the assistance of a video replay system to ensure that their c*** ups can be reversed and have as little impact as possible in a league where the worst that can happen is a club suffering the indignity of a relegation to the Championship but tens of millions of pounds in parachute payments handed to them to ensure they have as much chance as possible of going back up.

Edited by Kokosnuss

37 minutes ago, jameso said:

Here's a novel idea: even without VAR, maybe the 4th official (who presumably can hear everything being said between the other 3 officials) could put aside practising putting the wrong number of added minutes on the electronic board, and instead do something useful by saying to the ref: "Sorry ref, perhaps you didn't hear properly but the lino said he didn't see anything... so on what basis are you disallowing the goal?"

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Even without that, the one thing that the referee ought to do is exactly what the referee in Rugby does : go and speak directly to his assistant if he's considering disallowing a goal like that to check WTF he actually meant over the mic.

5 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Anthony Backhouse was the official yesterday, He's been 4th official 5 times this year and refereed 5 games with 29 yellow cards in those 5 games 😬

Prior to this year he's refereed in the FA cup when we played Newport County, Other cup games and a WSL game.

https://uk.soccerway.com/referees/anthony-backhouse/151098/

Your post is a bit misleading, that link says that he has been refereeing regularly at league one level since 2017, including our opening home game against Oxford.

8 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Your post is a bit misleading, that link says that he has been refereeing regularly at league one level since 2017, including our opening home game against Oxford.

He's been 4th official 5 times this year and refereed 5 games with 29 yellow cards in those 5 games 😬

Were you the linesman yesterday and mistook what I posted?

46 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

He's been 4th official 5 times this year and refereed 5 games with 29 yellow cards in those 5 games 😬

Were you the linesman yesterday and mistook what I posted?

My interpretation of your post was that he'd refereed only 5 times this year and that previous to this year his refereeing was limited to a few cup games and one WSL game and that he was very inexperienced. Either I'm yesterday's linesman or you've presented it in a misleading way.🤔

When, in actual fact, he has now refereed 7 league one games, 2 league two games and a couple of other games this year, he is also an experienced referee at this level and after yesterday's performance, shouldn't be going much higher. Perhaps, that's why he's still at this level after 6 years, normally good refs wouldn't stay at this level for such a long time, although he did ref one championship match at the turn of the year.

15 minutes ago, ram59 said:

My interpretation of your post was that he'd refereed only 5 times this year and that previous to this year his refereeing was limited to a few cup games and one WSL game and that he was very inexperienced. Either I'm yesterday's linesman or you've presented it in a misleading way.🤔

When, in actual fact, he has now refereed 7 league one games, 2 league two games and a couple of other games this year, he is also an experienced referee at this level and after yesterday's performance, shouldn't be going much higher. Perhaps, that's why he's still at this level after 6 years, normally good refs wouldn't stay at this level for such a long time, although he did ref one championship match at the turn of the year.

Interpret as you see fit.

That Championship game...was in fact the 3rd round of the FA Cup Preston 3 Huddersfield 1

12 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Interpret as you see fit.

That Championship game...was in fact the 3rd round of the FA Cup Preston 3 Huddersfield 1

No, the championship game was on the 29th of December 2022, Coventry v Cardiff, a nil nil draw. I take it, that you do realise that there is more than one page on that website?

13 minutes ago, ram59 said:

No, the championship game was on the 29th of December 2022, Coventry v Cardiff, a nil nil draw. I take it, that you do realise that there is more than one page on that website?

And I take you know when the turn of the year is.

Around December - January

Approximately at the end of one year and the beginning of the next. 

Next😁

31 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

And I take you know when the turn of the year is.

Around December - January

Approximately at the end of one year and the beginning of the next. 

Next😁

Are you saying that the 29th December is not 'around December - January'?

Also you haven't answered my question about whether you've seen that there are previous pages regarding his career?

27 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Are you saying that the 29th December is not 'around December - January'?

Also you haven't answered my question about whether you've seen that there are previous pages regarding his career?

I'm saying the turn of the year is end of December and the beginning of January, As I was talking about this year 2023, You've muscled into a debate where as usual you've changed a debate to suit your point...which is of no point what so ever.

On the page there in a "previous" which takes you to other seasons, I didn't need to click on that as I was posting for 2023, Now if it's a case where you need to feel that you've won a debate good on ya...have a nice hot cup of chocolate put your jim jams on and sleep tight.

20 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Well the EFL set a dangerous precedent when they allowed the two to sue. If we miss out on the play offs by one point, as it could have ended 1-1, have we got a valid claim for compensation against the EFL ? 

If there was a case against anyone it would be against PGMOL (Professional Game Match Officials Limited).

Again, the EFL are not responsible for the governance of referees.

4 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

I'm saying the turn of the year is end of December and the beginning of January, As I was talking about this year 2023, You've muscled into a debate where as usual you've changed a debate to suit your point...which is of no point what so ever.

On the page there in a "previous" which takes you to other seasons, I didn't need to click on that as I was posting for 2023, Now if it's a case where you need to feel that you've won a debate good on ya...have a nice hot cup of chocolate put your jim jams on and sleep tight.

I 'muscled' in on to your debate, because there seems to be a misunderstanding by other posters, that this referee was new to this level and needed have been more experienced. I felt that the wording of your post would have reinforced this opinion.

On my phone and laptop, you needed to click on to the previous page to view all of THIS YEAR'S matches, just for clarity that's 2023 not just previous seasons. A simple apology for posting incorrect information would have surficed, there was no need to get aggressive. Your posts have been full of inaccuracies. BTW, the cup of hot chocolate was very nice idea, thank you, Cadburys, of course.😋