Cashin

Bris Vegas

7 minutes ago, Collo_DCFC11 said:

Good defender but as with Knight, I think our fanbase hugely overrates him. I think he will be a mid-top end Championship defender and have a very decent career but that is his ceiling for me.

Pros - comfortable on the ball & great passing range, good character, tackling and last-ditch defending (although this is often caused by his cons!) and decent enough in the air.

Cons - positioning, pace, mobility, height, concentration and decision making

To answer the initial question, I think he is a decent defender, slightly out of form, as per the majority of the team but when/if we get over the blip, he will be a key player in the run-in at this level.

Sol Campbell made an entire career - including far too many England caps - from good recovery tackles after he'd screwed up the basics of defending including concentration and positional awareness....

3 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

Cashin's form has dropped off a bit as soon as we started lumping it forwards, the midfield got to tired to chase it back every time and we just get endlessly counter-attacked on.  We're literally engineering the situations that Cashin struggles the most in (quick forwards running at him with no support).  Forsyth's form has dipped at exactly the same time, as has Smiths, which also suggests it's something structural in the team, rather than an individual player.  When we were controlling games a lot more, moving the ball through the thirds etc, Cashin was excellent. 

And for what it's worth, I don't even think his form has dropped enough to warrant a thread like this.  He's been fantastic all season and even with a slight dip he's more than good enough.  He was nowhere near our worst player on Saturday - I can easily think of 4 or 5 who were worse, and arguably more than that.

Here we go again. It’s tactics, it’s Warne. You point to a specific game please where the tactics have changed and it’s aligns with Cashin and Fozzy’s downturn in form and our downturn in form. Because I can’t see it.

What I can see is Cashin has been making more mistakes with the ball, his passing long and short has been metronomic, he’s been able to break the lines much as Keogh used to, recently they’ve been cut out, he’s giving the ball away more. He miskicked a couple of times on Saturday. I think his form has dropped but I agree with you his form hasn’t dropped off a cliff he’s still a 6/7 out of 10 not the 7/8 he has been.

To suggest Cashins form is linked to playing a more in your opinion “Warne style” of football - sorry I think your looking for things to fit your Warne narrative. Shrewsbury, Plymouth first half, Saturday first half we had a lot of the football which wouldn’t say to me we’ve made a tactical change to start lumping it.

We've gradually shifted from playing through the thirds to playing more aimless balls over the top, it started around the Cheltenham (a) and Bolton (h) games.  You can't point to a single specific game because it's not been a single massive change, it's just something that's crept into our game more and more.  And the overall tiredness is part of it too - it's not just the tactics, it's our fitness to execute those tactics.  For example, you can get away with those long balls if you then press immediately and win the ball back high up the field.  We've stopped doing that too, so those long balls cease to be chances to put their back 4 under pressure, and start being chances for their midfield to run at us.  I'm not the only saying this BTW, multiple other posters have been regularly talking about us playing more long balls in recent weeks.

A lot of the goals we've been conceding have been from people breaking on us - the first goal against Peterborough, 2nd against Fleetwood etc.  And if you watch the highlights of those games back, almost every chance against us is the same - half a dozen opponents streaming forward on the break, while our defence madly backtracks.  There is no doubt in my mind that the tactics we're using, combined with the current lack of fitness, are (at least in part) resulting in those situations.  And dealing with those situations is specifically the weakest part of Cashin's game IMO.

Honestly, I'm finding the "Warne can do no wrong" narrative coming from some people equally tiresome.  He's obviously not the sole reason we've lost form, but he's definitely part of it.

Cashin played that lovely ball to NML in the Cambridge away game that led to our first goal. I can well imagine Warne praising him for it (and rightly so) and encouraging him to try it more often.  Unfortunately since then I can't think of too many occasions where Cashin going long has been successful and I for one get a bit sick of us needlessly giving away possession.  Generally speaking I think we are much more successful when we play to feet.

15 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Cashin played that lovely ball to NML in the Cambridge away game that led to our first goal. I can well imagine Warne praising him for it (and rightly so) and encouraging him to try it more often.  Unfortunately since then I can't think of too many occasions where Cashin going long has been successful and I for one get a bit sick of us needlessly giving away possession.  Generally speaking I think we are much more successful when we play to feet.

Smith was atrocious for this at the weekend.  Aimless floated balls dropping straight to their players on at least 10 occasions.  Two of which lead to chances.

Cashin kooks a decent prospect .   He's made the three or four mistakes in his first full season that have lead directly to goals.  I'd have expected 7 or 8 as the norm.  In his haste to win the ball however, he tends to mark too tightly and on occasion winds up on his arse or doesn't read what's going to happen around him  if the forward gets the ball.  I'd like to think that could be coached better than it has been this season.  Less high octane all the time, more thought some of the time and he'd have a complete game and any lack of pace is less of an issue.

I think before he was just focussing on winning his battles and playing his game. I think now he’s trying too hard to force things because he’s frustrated at the performances/results. But because he’s forcing things it doesn’t look natural. 

Needs managing well. 

13 hours ago, Yani P said:

I just think he is a young lad in a position where experience is everything. Many centre halves hit peak at late 20s and beyond.

Will his height restrict his progression? Not sure I mean Cannavaro and Baresi were only 5 feet 9 I think? What is Cash 6 foot?

I think 5’9” is pushing it a bit . He was the same size as Wayne Rooney when they were stood together . The Barnsley captain is 6’4” which is pretty common in League One. 

13 hours ago, Yani P said:

I just think he is a young lad in a position where experience is everything. Many centre halves hit peak at late 20s and beyond.

Will his height restrict his progression? Not sure I mean Cannavaro and Baresi were only 5 feet 9 I think? What is Cash 6 foot?

Although the Netherlands are currently playing the likes of van Dijk  (1.95m - approx 6'5") and Thijs de Ligt (1.89m - approx 6'3") they have a history of playing quality footballers there despite them being under 6 foot.

Aron Winter 1.76m - 5'9

Ruud Krol 1.84m - 6'0 1/4"

Ronald Koeman 5'11"

Frank de Boer 5'11 1/2

Current Ajax and NL FB/CD Jurrien Timber 5' 10 1/2

Lisandro Martinez MUFC/Argentina 5'9

Daley Blind 5' 11

You don't have to be 6 foot 4 to be a good central defender. Some of those I mentioned also played full back but were no slouches at CD at both club and international level.

I mean, Colin Todd was only 5' 9 and he was great alongside Roy Mac who was 5'11...

Cashin is 6 foot. Same height as Jake Buxton. Only 2 inches shorter than Curtis Davies. And as has been mentioned, he statistically wins more aerial duels than anyone in this league.

He's great, he's just still learning. I think he's being targeted a lot more now, and I think his teammates protect him a little less than they used to. Whether they are making him stand on his own two feet or whether there are other concerns on the pitch I don't know but he is a fantastic defender currently in bad form