Cashin

Bris Vegas

18 hours ago, Magicman said:

He is well short of our 6 footers. 

Wiki says 1.84m, so do several of the football transfer and stats sites. What's the source of your information on his height.

I wrote in  a previous post that reading he's 6 foot was a surprise to me as he looks shorter. Available info appears to point to him being 6 foot. Optical illusion? 

On 29/03/2023 at 06:13, MadAmster said:

Wiki says 1.84m, so do several of the football transfer and stats sites. What's the source of your information on his height.

I wrote in  a previous post that reading he's 6 foot was a surprise to me as he looks shorter. Available info appears to point to him being 6 foot. Optical illusion? 

Yeah think he is short for his height.

1 minute ago, S8TY said:

if a reasonable offer was made for Cash I'd accept it and get two mobile CB's in for next season 

Really want Cashin to go on to be a top player, but lack of pace will always be a limiting factor unfortunately. Think he would be good alongside a rapid experienced partner but we’re massively limited on the recruitment front.

6 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Really want Cashin to go on to be a top player, but lack of pace will always be a limiting factor unfortunately. Think he would be good alongside a rapid experienced partner but we’re massively limited on the recruitment front.

yep he's quite brave and put him alongside a rapid defender like Tomori for example and his lack of pace would'nt seem so evident... shame as seems a top lad

Edited by S8TY

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

if a reasonable offer was made for Cash I'd accept it and get two mobile CB's in for next season 

Presumably though, unless the business plan is revised, any such mobile CB's would have to be free transfers. I wonder if there are any such candidates of a better quality than Cashin?

I personally think some of us are being a bit harsh on Cashin. Yes, he's not in the best form of his short career right now but he's hardly alone in that respect. It doesn't seem that long ago that some were talking about him being amongst the best CB's in the division.

25 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Presumably though, unless the business plan is revised, any such mobile CB's would have to be free transfers. I wonder if there are any such candidates of a better quality than Cashin?

I personally think some of us are being a bit harsh on Cashin. Yes, he's not in the best form of his short career right now but he's hardly alone in that respect. It doesn't seem that long ago that some were talking about him being amongst the best CB's in the division.

Football can be harsh Cashin's lack of pace will always hold him back IMO any quick forward would fancy there chances against him I'm afraid , he is not a bad player but pace will always be an issue

If a club offered the right deal I'd be tempted, I think we need a new back 4 unless we can keep Roberts , then 3 

1 minute ago, S8TY said:

Football can be harsh Cashin's lack of pace will always hold him back IMO any quick forward would fancy there chances against him I'm afraid , he is not a bad player but pace will always be an issue

If a club offered the right deal I'd be tempted, I think we need a new back 4 unless we can keep Roberts , then 3 

You may well be right but trying to replace Cashin with someone better might not be that easy until our hands are untied.

7 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I think if we could sign Roberts on a free, him and Cashin as the left side of defence alongside a new more mobile right sided cb and a proper right back would be a solid enough defence. Also Cashin in a back 3 with wing backs could well work if Warne looks to play a similar way to how he did at Rotherham.
It’s only his second season as a senior pro, there are plenty of centre backs who have had excellent careers despite a lack of pace and/or height, seems odd to write off his career before it’s really got going.

On 02/04/2023 at 17:03, Caerphilly Ram said:

I think if we could sign Roberts on a free, him and Cashin as the left side of defence alongside a new more mobile right sided cb and a proper right back would be a solid enough defence. Also Cashin in a back 3 with wing backs could well work if Warne looks to play a similar way to how he did at Rotherham.
It’s only his second season as a senior pro, there are plenty of centre backs who have had excellent careers despite a lack of pace and/or height, seems odd to write off his career before it’s really got going.

Not writing off his career at all , Cashin has good attributes and is all heart i can see that...he's coped well against some good players but as i said pace is an issue, its also cost us a few times this season but saying that some last minute tackles have prevented some goal attempts.

In a 3 with more mobile CB's yes maybe but although he's still fairly new to senior level football it also means that as time goes on teams may well be  putting a rapid striker or winger up against Cashin meaning we can't defend too high therefore making our  press less effective and more difficult.

I really like Roberts and think he will get even better when he has more freedom to bomb on rather than worrying about covering but agree Roberts Cashin a more mobile Right sided CB and a proper RB would look good on paper

1 hour ago, simmoram1995 said:

Pace isn’t always an issue Puyol and Cannavaro weren’t blessed with pace but went on to be top players. 

he’d benefit from a more mobile CB partner maybe a taller CB and younger quick FB 

Or a FB he didn't have to cover for, don't think defending is Roberts forte, and I'm certain he's no CB in a three.

• 4 months later...

Been thinking that Cash has not seemed to be at his best playing LCB in a 3, this set me thinking about what might be his best position.

His best games by far have been as one of two CB’s in a back 4 but for me he he lacks the height to make a top class CB and tends to struggle against the taller strikers. 

He doesn’t have the pace to be a full back or wing back but has good passing ability, a great attitude and determination in abundance.

Many will disagree but I can see him playing as a CDM in front of a back four, possibly in a 4-1-4-1 (or 4-3-3) formation. He seems to read the game very well and is able to pass short or long. Could be what is needed to protect an uncertain looking defence.

2 minutes ago, chadlad said:

Been thinking that Cash has not seemed to be at his best playing LCB in a 3, this set me thinking about what might be his best position.

His best games by far have been as one of two CB’s in a back 4 but for me he he lacks the height to make a top class CB and tends to struggle against the taller strikers. 

He doesn’t have the pace to be a full back or wing back but has good passing ability, a great attitude and determination in abundance.

Many will disagree but I can see him playing as a CDM in front of a back four, possibly in a 4-1-4-1 (or 4-3-3) formation. He seems to read the game very well and is able to pass short or long. Could be what is needed to protect an uncertain looking defence.

Didn’t Robbie VDL and Eustace play that role and successfully too?

26 minutes ago, chadlad said:

You’re right, I do disagree. 

32 minutes ago, chadlad said:

LCB in a back 4 or CB in a back 3. LCB in a defensive back 3. He hasn't been at his best because he's now being asked to be an overlapping CB tasked with pressing high up the pitch and to whip crosses in.

33 minutes ago, chadlad said:

...His best games by far have been as one of two CB’s in a back 4 but for me he he lacks the height to make a top class CB and tends to struggle against the taller strikers. 

Yes I disagree. He's a CB in a four, and a good one. His passing ability is okay, he come's forward with the ball reasonably well. Attitude and determination without question are good. 

I disagree too. Can’t question his desire and determination to win the ball - but he wasn’t beaten so many times in the air against Wigan - was no coincidence that Wyke chose to drift into this space for goal kicks, he was also beaten for pace a lot of times. Maybe the latter was accentuated by the slightly different position he’s being asked to play in the first two games. Although fundamentally I think those two areas are going to stop him being much more than a League One CB. I’m not sure he has the composure or passing ability needed to play the CDM role - yes he hits the cross field diagonal every now and again but his basic 5 yard keep it moving stuff can sometimes look very laboured.

Seems easy sitting here and dissecting his game but he’s a far better player than I ever was and I hope he can get back to some of the storming performances we saw for most of last year!