Cashin

Bris Vegas

Good post Dava, gave you a like!

I agree with you in part but I think it would be easy to improve his short passing game, as in win the ball and give it to someone who can play.

As you say, I can’t see him playing much higher than L1 as a CB, maybe his ceiling would be higher as a CDM…

1 hour ago, chadlad said:

Been thinking that Cash has not seemed to be at his best playing LCB in a 3, this set me thinking about what might be his best position.

His best games by far have been as one of two CB’s in a back 4 but for me he he lacks the height to make a top class CB and tends to struggle against the taller strikers. 

He doesn’t have the pace to be a full back or wing back but has good passing ability, a great attitude and determination in abundance.

Many will disagree but I can see him playing as a CDM in front of a back four, possibly in a 4-1-4-1 (or 4-3-3) formation. He seems to read the game very well and is able to pass short or long. Could be what is needed to protect an uncertain looking defence.

3rd highest rated player in League 1 last season and comfortably highest rated centre back. Hasn’t got the passing range to be a midfielder but he is a really superb centre back and managed those performance with Forsyth playing RCB and Sibley playing LB which was as make shift as it gets…

The thing with Cashin is, yes he's been struggling trying to do that wide-left-centre-back role, but (defensively at least) he's been struggling and still managing to get it done.  He's not been struggling and failing.  He's not made any disastrous errors, or directly cost us any goals, like other defenders have done.  He's doing the right things and that's letting him get away with it.

Long-term, his lack of height and pace will probably hold him back a bit, but you can learn to mitigate them to some degree.  I always go back to Gareth Roberts (the tiny left back we had for a while).  I know he wasn't the best player in the world or anything, but teams used to explicitly target his lack of height - they'd put a big forward out there and smash long balls at him all game. Except it never worked, because Roberts had been around the block enough to know when to drop off, when to get close to the guy, when to give the striker a nudge in the back and so on.  Cashin will learn those things too, and honestly, I think he's already well on the way.

28 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

3rd highest rated player in League 1 last season and comfortably highest rated centre back. Hasn’t got the passing range to be a midfielder but he is a really superb centre back and managed those performance with Forsyth playing RCB and Sibley playing LB which was as make shift as it gets…

Don't forget Smith/Knight at RB

The debate about Cashin reminds me a lot about the debate that Sheffield Utd fans were having in their L1 years about Harry Maguire. If remember correctly the fan base was very divided whether Maguire could play higher than L1 because of his lack of pace. But most recognised there was a good player in there. Again if I remember correctly the general consensus was that because of his lack of pace he was probably at best a championship level player. 

Obviously we know the kind of career he’s had despite the same sort of concerns we’re having about Cashin. 

I think Cashin’s got it in him to play at a much higher level but needs better coaching and needs to play in a team that uses his strengths. As a young player he’s going to have dips in form but he’ll be back to his best soon enough. Hope it’s with us. 

On 11/08/2023 at 09:33, chadlad said:

Consensus seems to be that I am wrong…

Good job this forum is to express different views of the game. 🙂

Have to disagree on that.
Primarily, the purpose of this forum is to have regular pun-fests, with the odd flash of a well toned knee cap.
"Different views of the game" are merely a by product.

So there!  Good day to you, sir!

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Have to disagree on that.
Primarily, the purpose of this forum is to have regular pun-fests, with the odd flash of a well toned knee cap.
"Different views of the game" are merely a by product.

So there!  Good day to you, sir!

👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻👋🏻

IMG_2080.jpeg

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, angieram said:

And here is another home-grown player some of our supporters can't wait to criticise.

Yes, he's below last season's heights - 4th in the Who Scored ratings instead of 1st! 

But is that more down to the other players in that list stepping up? Brannagan for example has been back to his best, Jordan Rhodes has dropped down a league and ripping it up. 

For me Cashin was shaky for the first few games as the team were but has been consistent recently and back towards his best as he was always going to, form is temporary class is permanent. Him and Wilson have become a formidable partnership, the latter IMO being an early POTY shout. 

Really hope we can keep Cash and Bird in January. They’re critical to our chances this season. 

25 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

But is that more down to the other players in that list stepping up? Brannagan for example has been back to his best, Jordan Rhodes has dropped down a league and ripping it up. 

For me Cashin was shaky for the first few games as the team were but has been consistent recently and back towards his best as he was always going to, form is temporary class is permanent. Him and Wilson have become a formidable partnership, the latter IMO being an early POTY shout. 

Really hope we can keep Cash and Bird in January. They’re critical to our chances this season. 

I presume you mean him and Nelson, but I agree (if that's the case).

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Thought he was excellent tonight. Wolves kids offered little threat, but what danger they did pose was more often than not snuffed out by Eiran. Very unlucky with their goal too. Hard for him to tell at speed but I think it was going wide.

I thought so too. His only flaw was trying to force a through-ball through a gap that wasn't really there a couple of times, but he got away with it. His crossfield and raking passes were excellent though, as were Bradley's.