Gary Lineker

Day

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

And the BBC, as his employer, also have the right to advise any of their employees when they are making open statements that would be seen to contravene their impartiality standards - a fact which a few posters appear unable to appreciate or accept without throwing in the usual whatabouttery smokescreen. 

It cuts both ways. 

Have you seen the BBC's impartiality guidelines?

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Have you seen the BBC's impartiality guidelines?

Do you accept the statement I've put forward?

I'm assuming you do, which is why you've ignored replying to it's content as you like others don't want to accept that Lineker is able to express his right of free speech, likewise the BBC is well within their rights to then advise an employee of theirs when said statement breaches their rules on impartiality.

As far as I am aware you cant sack someone who you dont employ. 

Free speech is worryingly under threat in the UK and elsewhere from the social media mob and we need to do everything to defend it. 

My issue with GL's views is his hypocrisy. Someone who squirms their way out of paying so much tax shouldnt spout off so much when he wont pay his fair share to help fund the consequences of his views. HMRC are all over the status of sports presenters at the moment.  Cynically my main thought is that the actions of the presenters this weekend will help any who have ongoing current tax status cases against HMRC. Many are serial offenders of all sorts of tax avoidance. Coincidence? https://taxdisputes.co.uk/2023/03/gary-linekers-ongoing-ir35-tax-dispute-with-hmrc/

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Do you accept the statement I've put forward?

I'm assuming you do, which is why you've ignored replying to it's content as you like others don't want to accept that Lineker is able to express his right of free speech, likewise the BBC is well within their rights to then advise an employee of theirs when said statement breaches their rules on impartiality.

Yes, I do. But have you actually seen the guidlines? The statement that they base their actions on? The guidlines that on Friday morning the BBC were satisfied had not been broken?

image.thumb.png.7dc6ab012299c38156df95c4f856beeb.png

15 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Same thing to me, it was the nazls that brought in that policy, well before the war started.

But it's not the same thing.

He said 'it is an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in' language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s'.

If he had said the Tory Government is the same as the Nazi Government, then that would be the same thing and we could (mostly) all agree that is going too far.

Just saying it's the same thing to you and ignoring the actual facts, doesn't make it the same thing. It's demonstrably not the same thing no matter how hard you wish it were and want it to be because you don't like the guys' political beliefs. 

1 minute ago, rsmini said:

Note Bristol Rovers are not talking to the BBC today. Wonder if other clubs will be doing the same? 

Not really sure how I feel about this or how helpful it is. Highly doubt it makes a dent in the upper echelons of the BBC and local radio is already under threat as seen by the cuts made recently.

11 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

But it's not the same thing.

He said 'it is an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in' language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s'.

If he had said the Tory Government is the same as the Nazi Government, then that would be the same thing and we could (mostly) all agree that is going too far.

Just saying it's the same thing to you and ignoring the actual facts, doesn't make it the same thing. It's demonstrably not the same thing no matter how hard you wish it were and want it to be because you don't like the guys' political beliefs. 

Genuine question. Are you, or any one else supporting Big Ears, got any examples of the language being used by the UK Government that is similar to that used by the German Government in 1930. 2 or 3 examples should satisfy me that he might have a point.

11 minutes ago, rsmini said:

Note Bristol Rovers are not talking to the BBC today. Wonder if other clubs will be doing the same? 

I don't think Gary should have been asked to step back. But I will leave that to the employment tribunals and lawyers.

However, what a joke that a football club refuses to use a service that many fans will rely on for their bit of escapism this weekend.

I wonder if they go through all their sponsors with the same morale compass.

28 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

My issue with GL's views is his hypocrisy. Someone who squirms their way out of paying so much tax shouldnt spout off so much when he wont pay his fair share to help fund the consequences of his views. HMRC are all over the status of sports presenters at the moment.  

And me, Since our gracious Government has given us old uns a whopping rise, I've had my tax changed, As I have a couple of private pensions and 1 annuity an annuity that pays me £11 per Anum, The shysters are going to tax me (BR code)£2.20 ?

Now in conversation with my legal department to see if I can put this annuity into an offshore account ? 

25 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

As far as I am aware you cant sack someone who you dont employ. 

Free speech is worryingly under threat in the UK and elsewhere from the social media mob and we need to do everything to defend it. 

My issue with GL's views is his hypocrisy. Someone who squirms their way out of paying so much tax shouldnt spout off so much when he wont pay his fair share to help fund the consequences of his views. HMRC are all over the status of sports presenters at the moment.  Cynically my main thought is that the actions of the presenters this weekend will help any who have ongoing current tax status cases against HMRC. Many are serial offenders of all sorts of tax avoidance. Coincidence? https://taxdisputes.co.uk/2023/03/gary-linekers-ongoing-ir35-tax-dispute-with-hmrc/

You can especially sack someone you don't employ...  because they don't have any employment rights. So if Lineker wants to defend himself he may have some difficulty with saying it's unfair dismissal, given his stance with HMRC..