Shamima Begum bid to regain UK citizenship rejected

Comrade 86

32 minutes ago, sage said:

I agree. If I had to flee my country in fear of my life, travelling alone and afraid. I wouldn't want to find a country where my relatives are or where I understood the language, I'd just try and settle somewhere on my own, with no family support or any idea about anything written or spoken.  

All such obvious and fundamental reasons why an asylum seeker might want to try and reach the UK. And totally reasonable.

Yet still the mantra of "if they are genuine why don't they just stay in the first safe country" gets parroted. By intelligent people as well, so you can only assume that there is a subtext here that is going unspoken.

"I care about asylum seekers but only as long as they are not in a specific geographic location of my choosing" 

2 hours ago, sage said:

I agree. If I had to flee my country in fear of my life, travelling alone and afraid. I wouldn't want to find a country where my relatives are or where I understood the language, I'd just try and settle somewhere on my own, with no family support or any idea about anything written or spoken.  

That's good then.

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

All such obvious and fundamental reasons why an asylum seeker might want to try and reach the UK. And totally reasonable.

Yet still the mantra of "if they are genuine why don't they just stay in the first safe country" gets parroted. By intelligent people as well, so you can only assume that there is a subtext here that is going unspoken.

"I care about asylum seekers but only as long as they are not in a specific geographic location of my choosing" 

The only subtext here is that some of us know and care about the difference between people actually fleeing for their lives and those who just want a better standard of living and don't care about the rules.

Been off topic for too long.

Patronise away.......

36 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

The only subtext here is that some of us know and care about the difference between people actually fleeing for their lives and those who just want a better standard of living and don't care about the rules.

Been off topic for too long.

Patronise away.......

If they wanted a better standard of living they would surely stay in Germany or France.

I would that suggesting only 'some people' know and care could be perceived as being a little patronising itself.

Anyway, back on topic...

Hardly any tomatoes in Morrisons today

Edited by sage

23 minutes ago, sage said:

If they wanted a better standard of living they would surely stay in Germany or France.

I would that suggesting only 'some people' know and care could be perceived as being a little patronising itself.

Anyway, back on topic...

Zis is wary gud ya.

https://immigrationlawyers-london.com/blog/benefits-rights-for-asylum-seekers-in-germany.php#:~:text=The benefit provided to a single adult asylum,in accommodation centres only receive €135 per month.

This aint so good

https://www.gov.uk/asylum-support/what-youll-get

My preference would be Germany...mainly because I like the food and the beers are in Steins ?

1 hour ago, sage said:

Anyway, back on topic...

https://amp.france24.com/en/europe/20221109-france-slams-italy-s-unacceptable-refusal-to-take-in-migrant-ship
So neither France or Italy wanted them.

https://amp.dw.com/en/new-german-migration-official-aims-to-send-refugees-to-africa/a-64667296

So Germany not happy with levels of immigration.

So all not happy in Europe regardless what people think.

Edited by cstand

On 23/02/2023 at 14:58, Anon said:

Illegal immigration is what was written. Never mind, I'm certain the word "illegal" mysteriously vanishing from Stive's reply was an honest mistake.

According to the government website:

Number of illegal immigrants to the UK between Jan and Sep 2022: 4,781

Number crossing on 'small boats': 35,345 (of which 90% claimed asylum, therefore they are not illegal)

Number of Ukranians let into the UK under the migrant via scheme: 190,537

Number of Jews (plus other discriminated groups) allowed into the UK in WWII: c.70,000

Without any direct personal comment to you @Anon, 'twas ever thus - white people OK, brown people bad. Back to the original point, if Shamima Begum had been fighting for Russian forces in Ukraine, was a white male called Gary from Dunstable and admitted to killing twenty schoolchildren in Kherson there wouldn't have been one per cent of the fuss seen here. In the same way we've happily allowed c.200k Ukranian migrants into the UK*, putting flags up in every village, while considering those desperate enough to get on a dinghy in the middle of a cold night in Calais to all be Albanian drug smugglers.

* - which is a good thing btw, if there is one thing the UK has done in the past two years to give me hope it is this

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

So hold up a moment....

Albanian drug cartels are paying £1000s to be trafficked to the UK where they falsely claim asylum benefits of £45.00 per week?!?! I bet they are all lady kingpins (or queenpins as them wookies make us call them now) getting preggers just to nick £8.00 more from the taxpayers of Blighty.

Sneaky bar stewards. The bloody Krauts and Garlic Munchers would never put up with this. 

Sense my seethe ?

4 hours ago, sage said:

Anyway, back on topic...

Back on topic it’s footy weekend 

Edited by cstand

19 hours ago, sage said:

Anyway, back on topic...

No shortage of tomatoes yesterday in our local Mercadona,and no rationing either.

As for that Begum women leave her where she is,let her rot in hell.

On 24/02/2023 at 16:18, sage said:

Anyway, back on topic...

None at all in Lidl or Tesco.

On 24/02/2023 at 17:56, BaaLocks said:

According to the government website:

Number of illegal immigrants to the UK between Jan and Sep 2022: 4,781

Number crossing on 'small boats': 35,345 (of which 90% claimed asylum, therefore they are not illegal)

Number of Ukranians let into the UK under the migrant via scheme: 190,537

Number of Jews (plus other discriminated groups) allowed into the UK in WWII: c.70,000

Without any direct personal comment to you @Anon, 'twas ever thus - white people OK, brown people bad. Back to the original point, if Shamima Begum had been fighting for Russian forces in Ukraine, was a white male called Gary from Dunstable and admitted to killing twenty schoolchildren in Kherson there wouldn't have been one per cent of the fuss seen here. In the same way we've happily allowed c.200k Ukranian migrants into the UK*, putting flags up in every village, while considering those desperate enough to get on a dinghy in the middle of a cold night in Calais to all be Albanian drug smugglers.

* - which is a good thing btw, if there is one thing the UK has done in the past two years to give me hope it is this

I think this is a bit overly simplistic. First, the UK's treatment of Jewish refugees during the war, like many others, was pretty terrible. We should not look back with pride on our role in that episode tbh. Second, if 'Gary' had gone out, stitched suicide vests into people and been apologetic for a genocidal regime then I think Gary would be chased around the country by an angry mob. Ukrainian refugees have received widespread public sympathy because their country has been brutally attacked; Begum went to sign up for a group that actively massacred groups of people... she's not a refugee, nor is she a victim of a hostile invasion. 

On the bigger question, the asylum system is a mess. Don't get me wrong, our current attitude from the government is a bad one, and it needs to change. We've made it extremely difficult for people to seek asylum outside of the UK, and we need to make it easier. Yet, when people do arrive and seek asylum, they have a very high success rate in being granted asylum. Some people claim this is because almost everyone is legitimately seeking asylum, others because the courts are not particularly rigorous and are generally overly sympathetic to individuals, even those individuals who do not meet the qualifying standards to be a legitimate refugee. 

However, whilst seeking asylum is a human right, people do not have the right to pick and choose where they'd prefer to stay. I believe If you are actively crossing borders from one safe country to another, once you've fled said violence and threat, according to both the 51 convention and 67 protocol, you are no longer considered a refugee. This is the problem we've had for years now and other countries in Europe have undermined this interpretation. During the Syrian crisis, there were a great deal of refugees, and there were also a great deal of economic migrants from central Africa taking advantage of the refugee wave who were not legitimate refugees. It's important for everyone that this is sorted.