Shamima Begum bid to regain UK citizenship rejected

Comrade 86

15 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Just for the record, I'm a pretty big lefty when it comes to most things, but she can do one as far as I'm concerned.  She made her bed, now she can lie in it.  

Do you not realise that you will now be seen as right wing on here now , people are either one or the other , one comment considered right wing and your done ,you could run off to China and become a communist,it matters not?

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Do you not realise that you will now be seen as right wing on here now , people are either one or the other , one comment considered right wing and your done ,you could run off to China and become a communist,it matters not?

I don't understand why you object to the terms left and right wing. They're fairly common descriptors of the two main parties in this country. Of course people have a mixture of views so rarely do they 100% land in one camp, but as a rule of thumb right wing is defined as favouring the free market, low touch government, less state support for individuals and promoting business. Left wing is defined as favouring intervention in the markets, a safety net for individuals, collective responsibility and more state ownership. Nobody apart from you seems to object to the concept (they might not agree with the label attributed to them though). 

Likewise you don't like the term conspiracy theorist, but if you don't agree with the science, how do you reconcile the "truth" versus the government line? 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I don't understand why you object to the terms left and right wing. They're fairly common descriptors of the two main parties in this country. Of course people have a mixture of views so rarely do they 100% land in one camp, but as a rule of thumb right wing is defined as favouring the free market, low touch government, less state support for individuals and promoting business. Left wing is defined as favouring intervention in the markets, a safety net for individuals, collective responsibility and more state ownership. Nobody apart from you seems to object to the concept (they might not agree with the label attributed to them though). 

Likewise you don't like the term conspiracy theorist, but if you don't agree with the science, how do you reconcile the "truth" versus the government line? 

There's around 10 of us in the pub after a Derby game come Saturdays, Most if not all would consider themselves "leftwing" all brought up in the 60s and 70s from working class family's, Now all very comfortable financially, All have homes that are worth £300k and more, Retired with private pensions, Have several holidays a year, Drive very nice cars, Eat well, On the lash several times a week, Are advocates of the death penalty, Would bring the Birch back, Excommunicate Union leaders, Phuck the Pope, Hate Celtic and repatriate refugees.

Leftwing my arse.     

13 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I object to the term right wing being thrown around as an insult hinting unashamedly at far right , as a nod to that I have looked at how the term woke is now being used in the same way and don’t use it any more , I don’t feel the need to insult , dismiss or close others down , perhaps some need to cling to these words as a safety blanket even though they are pretty much worthless now 

29 minutes ago, Archied said:

I object to the term right wing being thrown around as an insult hinting unashamedly at far right , as a nod to that I have looked at how the term woke is now being used in the same way and don’t use it any more , I don’t feel the need to insult , dismiss or close others down , perhaps some need to cling to these words as a safety blanket even though they are pretty much worthless now 

If you disagree with a certain someone today, you're hand in hand with the far-right and Covid deniers. 

It's designed to stop you feeling you can express an opinion. It was done in this thread.

18 minutes ago, Norman said:

If you disagree with a certain someone today, you're hand in hand with the far-right and Covid deniers. 

It's designed to stop you feeling you can express an opinion. It was done in this thread.

The really good thing is that it’s lost any potency, the majority just laugh at it now where as they used to think jeez am i akin to the national front ? A monster with no care for those less fortunate than myself ect ect ect , was a very good tactic for a while but it’s been overused and diluted beyond recognition, the people who have been using this tactic just look sad and desperate as more and more people wake up to the lunacy being peddled and push back against it ??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

15 hours ago, Archied said:

They dont like it up em ?

image.png.fdec935a3eea42d6ad3e5a2c93f1fb0d.png

On 03/03/2023 at 07:45, GboroRam said:

They're fairly common descriptors of the two main parties in this country. Of course people have a mixture of views so rarely do they 100% land in one camp

Exactly this. I only ever call out individual comments as right wing (as for example - I think Archie has pretty left-wing views on a lot of stuff) I'm not calling out whole people as one thing or another

The fact that people get so defensive about it and assume that  - if I think the comment they made about immigration is a bit right wing  (in the formal dictionary definition political way) - then that somehow insinuates that they are Hitler, then that's really their problem not mine...the whole olympic level mental gymnastics some go to to try and defend themselves against other people's perfectly valid perceptions that on particular issues they have made some comments that sound a bit right wing is astounding at times

That's why I said the other day that I admire Anon for saying what he thinks and sticking to it.

Ask yourselves - of all the posters on here who you consider to be "lefties" - how many times have you ever seen them defend themselves against an accusation of them being "left-wing" or "woke". We all just kind of shrug and say - yeah so what. That's exactly what we are

Call me old-fashioned but if you have political views and you want to express them in a public forum for debate, then you should stand up for them and not start greeting like a baby every time someone points out the political leaning of the view you just expressed. It's a bit.... snowflakey otherwise ? ?

2 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Exactly this. I only ever call out individual comments as right wing (as for example - I think Archie has pretty left-wing views on a lot of stuff) I'm not calling out whole people as one thing or another

The fact that people get so defensive about it and assume that  - if I think the comment they made about immigration is a bit right wing  (in the formal dictionary definition political way) - then that somehow insinuates that they are Hitler, then that's really their problem not mine...the whole olympic level mental gymnastics some go to to try and defend themselves against other people's perfectly valid perceptions that on particular issues they have made some comments that sound a bit right wing is astounding at times

That's why I said the other day that I admire Anon for saying what he thinks and sticking to it.

Ask yourselves - of all the posters on here who you consider to be "lefties" - how many times have you ever seen them defend themselves against an accusation of them being "left-wing" or "woke". We all just kind of shrug and say - yeah so what. That's exactly what we are

Call me old-fashioned but if you have political views and you want to express them in a public forum for debate, then you should stand up for them and not start greeting like a baby every time someone points out the political leaning of the view you just expressed. It's a bit.... snowflakey otherwise ? ?

Inclusive claptrap. You are better than this.

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I’m ok with most of that but there’s plenty who get shirty about the woke tag being used , now I’m ok to go back to slinging woke and left wing tags around if that’s better but I was trying to be a bit more grown up and respectful ??‍♂️

19 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Not here to prolong the refugee debate...but Christ on a bike...this Iraqi refugee wanted to go back home ?

https://news.sky.com/story/dramatic-cctv-captures-moment-iraqi-man-stabs-uk-student-in-bid-to-be-deported-12829729

He'd tried a similar tactic weeks before, apparently. 

However, flashing at a group of schoolchildren and attacking a woman only led to an invitation to join the Met.

32 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Not here to prolong the refugee debate...but Christ on a bike...this Iraqi refugee wanted to go back home ?

https://news.sky.com/story/dramatic-cctv-captures-moment-iraqi-man-stabs-uk-student-in-bid-to-be-deported-12829729

sounds a treat.  

He had previously been cautioned for criminal damage and battery and in May 2022, was jailed for 12 weeks for racially-aggravated harassment and stalking.

None of the above enough for deportation then