Newport County (A) FACR2 Sun 27th Nov

25 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

So don't try watching it on ITV then. The commentator was just awful, but was whole dimensions better than his sidekick summariser (Siobahn Chamberlain - ex-England keeper apparently). Everything she said just made it obvious she had done next to zero research on either the teams or the players and was limited to just inane stating the obvious comments that any seven year old could have mustered.

To be fair to Siobahn, she was no worse than any other sidekick summariser.  I’ve not seen all the matches at the World Cup - and some I’ve watched on mute - but some of the commentators and pundits have been shockingly bad.  None worse than Dion Dublin for the first game. It’s just how it is now. Very few decent ones (or I’m just getting very grumpy in my old age). 

The problem with any FA Cup match at this stage is that they’re so desperate for a good giant killing narrative that it colours everything that comes out of their mouths.  I agree it all seemed quite lazy.

The first half yesterday was poor.  I think there is enough data now for Warne to see that, at least with the players available to him, a back three doesn’t work - or certainly not as well as a back four.  Chalk and cheese in the second half. 

We got sucked into a very messy game of hoofball in the first half which was never going to work (or be pretty).  The changes made a big difference and, to give Warne credit, at least we’re now seeing a manager make tactical changes that seem to have some bearing on the game.  Not sure why he thought we needed such a defensive set up at Newport though. Oh well, all’s well that ends well.  

I’d like a League 2 team at home please (if there are any left).  Let’s keep a run going. 

She was awful.

At one point in the 1st half Fozzy picked the ball up in his own half, drove forward, got to the edge of their box, had his pass intercepted and they tried to break, Fozzy then "took one for the team" and brought down their player (Drysdale)

She then spent the next minute going on about what a fabulous run it was from Drysdale and how he had to foul Forsyth ?

Absolutely clueless.

16 hours ago, Crewton said:

Not sure I'd have played Cashin and Rooney under THAT aerial bombardment, so I can understand why he played Fozzy in the middle of them

Can't agree with that whatsoever in terms of how good they are in the air. This season so far:

Cashin: 142/211 aerial duels won (67.30% won)
Rooney: 24/36 aerial duels won (66.67% won)
Fozzy: 55/84 aerial duels won (65.48% won)

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I don't agree with the excuse of playing  out of position either . Basic skills of control, passing, crossing and shielding the ball don't change. 

The amount of pressure you're under does affect all of that stuff though.  First half we had no threat in behind, so they were quite happy to push up and press us in midfield, get in our faces etc.  Second half, with the threat of Dobbin and Barkhuizen running in behind, they suddenly drop 10 yards deeper and we get a lot more time and space to play.

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Basic skills of control, passing, crossing and shielding the ball don't change.

Generally I agree. However I think Sibley is showing signs of significant improvement. His crossing has been poor - in my opinion. But I commented to myself during the game how much better his crossing had been, and then he commented in his interview that he’d been working on it in training this week. 
Of the others, I think:

- his passing is generally good when he’s has a clear idea - think his pass to Hourihane early season. 
- his control needs work 

- his shielding is poor

But given his willingness to acknowledge and work on his weaknesses, I’m really hopeful that we’ll see significant progress now we appear to have a manager who will invest time in him. 

7 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Can't agree with that whatsoever in terms of how good they are in the air. This season so far:

Cashin: 142/211 aerial duels won (67.30% won)
Rooney: 24/36 aerial duels won (66.67% won)
Fozzy: 55/84 aerial duels won (65.48% won)

I wasn't criticising their aerial or heading ability, more the fact that they're relatively inexperienced as a pair. As it happened, they both looked uncomfortable in the first half under the high ball (the goalscorer got between both of them as they seemed to misjudge the flight of the ball)) and with the Newport pressing game, and I was glad Fozzy was in there as a steadying influence.

13 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I wasn't criticising their aerial or heading ability, more the fact that they're relatively inexperienced as a pair. As it happened, they both looked uncomfortable in the first half under the high ball (the goalscorer got between both of them as they seemed to misjudge the flight of the ball)) and with the Newport pressing game, and I was glad Fozzy was in there as a steadying influence.

Errr, where was Fozzy? I think he was more at fault.

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Errr, where was Fozzy? I think he was more at fault.

I think he was Rooney's man, although Rooney and Colins had two players at the back post whilst Fozzy was the spare man.

The attacker got free of Rooney (unsurprising when he had 1m5 players to deal with), and got in front of Fozzy who didn't even jump for it. Cashin misjudged the flight of the ball and got caught under it.

As the experienced defender, Forsyth should have been organising that defensive line, but Rooney also needed to get someone to pick up the spare man.

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think he was Rooney's man, although Rooney and Colins had two players at the back post whilst Fozzy was the spare man.

The attacker got free of Rooney (unsurprising when he had 1m5 players to deal with), and got in front of Fozzy who didn't even jump for it. Cashin misjudged the flight of the ball and got caught under it.

As the experienced defender, Forsyth should have been organising that defensive line, but Rooney also needed to get someone to pick up the spare man.

Here's the BTG picture as the ball drops. On review, I think we all saw it differently to how it was. All three CBs covering one player. Cash misjudges it, Fozzy leaves it to Cash, and Rooney is the spare man. The scorer seems to head it by accident because Cash missed it. A comedy of errors of sorts. 

Screenshot_20221128-195444.thumb.png.d5da12b9eea8573e686b5556a9cf7d17.png

10 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Here's the BTG picture as the ball drops. On review, I think we all saw it differently to how it was. All three CBs covering one player. Cash misjudges it, Fozzy leaves it to Cash, and Rooney is the spare man. The scorer seems to head it by accident because Cash missed it. A comedy of errors of sorts. 

Screenshot_20221128-195444.thumb.png.d5da12b9eea8573e686b5556a9cf7d17.png

Rooney and Collins marking 3 players (one is the goal scorer).

Forsyth and Cashin have a man between them.

It's Forsyth who let's a man get in front of him and let's him get a free header to score.

Screenshot_20221128_200825_Chrome.jpg.fe4401935cb0e8217d99d063afbaf407.jpg

11 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

So don't try watching it on ITV then. The commentator was just awful, but was whole dimensions better than his sidekick summariser (Siobahn Chamberlain - ex-England keeper apparently). Everything she said just made it obvious she had done next to zero research on either the teams or the players and was limited to just inane stating the obvious comments that any seven year old could have mustered.

Yep, dreadful coverage. Then again the standard of commentators, co commentators, match summarisers, pundits etc. is just getting worse. Those who've been doing it for years can barely hide their boredom, and the new ones brought in on the  'diversity'  ticket, aren't up to much either. 

20 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Instead of who?

Depends on the game and opposition

All im saying is hes not a right back by trade is he.

his career has been made playing centre mid

id say him and bird away from home perhaps introducing CH when the game opens up.

but if/when we get a right back i very much doubt we’ll see him there again 

10 hours ago, europia said:

Yep, dreadful coverage. Then again the standard of commentators, co commentators, match summarisers, pundits etc. is just getting worse. Those who've been doing it for years can barely hide their boredom, and the new ones brought in on the  'diversity'  ticket, aren't up to much either. 

I won't mention the name but friend of a friend is one of the old stock commentators - he is white, male, middle aged and basically very aware he is considered a dinosaur. No consideration of how good he is at his job, or how good the person sitting next to him is. He's just seen as yesterday's news. 

BTW - this is completely not about female commentators and summarisers. The male commentator on Sunday was just as bad - he'd got himself his fifteen facts and then spent the whole game trying to shoe horn them in to the action. Made you realise just how skilled people like Motty were. Also, there are great examples of summarisers from all genders - I still think Alex Scott is pretty good, Laura Georges (the French defender) is excellent - but from the other angle Fara Williams is just awful, shocking, criminally bad. That said, so is Clinton Morrison so it cuts all ways.

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Depends on the game and opposition

All im saying is hes not a right back by trade is he.

his career has been made playing centre mid

id say him and bird away from home perhaps introducing CH when the game opens up.

but if/when we get a right back i very much doubt we’ll see him there again 

I agree he's not a RB or RWB. I'm saying from what I've seen of his play so far I'd not put him in front of any of our current midfielders. The bench is his position.

17 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Rooney and Collins marking 3 players (one is the goal scorer).

Forsyth and Cashin have a man between them.

It's Forsyth who let's a man get in front of him and let's him get a free header to score.

Screenshot_20221128_200825_Chrome.jpg.fe4401935cb0e8217d99d063afbaf407.jpg

Rooney didn't track any of the three players in the end. Fozzy should have been aware of the overload behind him and blocked the scorer. Cashin shouldn't have misjudged the flight of the ball.

It's not purely one player's "fault", but I'd agree that as lead-defender, Fozzy should have organised them better.

29 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Rooney didn't track any of the three players in the end. Fozzy should have been aware of the overload behind him and blocked the scorer. Cashin shouldn't have misjudged the flight of the ball.

It's not purely one player's "fault", but I'd agree that as lead-defender, Fozzy should have organised them better.

Yes, that's a fair assessment, Rooney sort of goes with the scorer but is caught on the hop and ends up giving him a half hearted push, which only seemed to help the striker. Fozzy seemed to be totally unaware of the players presence, but if this is the first headed goal that we've conceded this season, maybe we're being a little harsh?