Newport County (A) FACR2 Sun 27th Nov

Just now, Millenniumram said:

I will personally drive Hourihane back to Ireland, HOW MANY TIMES WITH THE CORNERS

Awful execution of the corner and a terrible setup. After Hourihane underhit the pass, Sibbo should have taken the booking if he could, given we seemed to have zero cover. Barks did well chasing back.

Surely McGoldrick can't run and needed to go off for Osula, not Collins?

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

McGoldrick is playing deep, almost in midfield. How many subs can we make today? I’d like to see Knight come on for him 

looks like Knight is coming on

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yes, exactly that. If you’re going to call out the bad it’s fair to acknowledge the good.
How many times do people criticise the manager for not making changes? He got it wrong first half, recognised that and made the changes, and I suspect had a few choice words for the team at half time. It’s resulted in a far better second half performance. 

True.

But he seems to get it wrong often.

These players do not suit 3/5 at the back with players out of position.

Under Rosenior, we seemed to pass for passing sake. But, under Warne, we now lump it forward just for the sake of it. There has to be a middle ground.... Get it forward quickly but still pass to a Derby player, rather than an aimless hoof.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Awful execution of the corner and a terrible setup. After Hourihane underhit the pass, Sibbo should have taken the booking if he could, given we seemed to have zero cover. Barks did well chasing back.

Strange that Sibley didn’t go for it. It was 50:50 and in an area where he’d have got the benefit of the doubt.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

True.

But he seems to get it wrong often.

These players do not suit 3/5 at the back with players out of position.

Under Rosenior, we seemed to pass for passing sake. But, under Warne, we now lump it forward just for the sake of it. There has to be a middle ground.... Get it forward quickly but still pass to a Derby player, rather than an aimless hoof.

Warne does seem adamant on using his 3 at the back so I guess with all players available it’ll be NML and Barkhuizen as the wing backs, with a midfield 3 of Bird, Hourihane and Knight, then 2 of Collins/McGoldrick/Dobbin/Osula up top. Those players in that system looks better than the current options. 
I do think a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 would be better, with a mix of short and direct passing getting the most out of Collins/NML/Barkhuizen as a front 3, with options to come into the side and vary it. 

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

McGoldrick is playing deep, almost in midfield. How many subs can we make today? I’d like to see Knight come on for him 

looks like Knight is coming on

McGoldrick pretty much always plays in midfield, but I don't mind so much as Warne isn't playing those midfielders there who would drive us forward up the pitch. Disappointed Knight is on for Smith, so now we have Knight at RB and Sibley at LB. No wonder we're ceding the centre of midfield.

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Warne does seem adamant on using his 3 at the back so I guess with all players available it’ll be NML and Barkhuizen as the wing backs, with a midfield 3 of Bird, Hourihane and Knight, then 2 of Collins/McGoldrick/Dobbin/Osula up top. Those players in that system looks better than the current options. 
I do think a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 would be better, with a mix of short and direct passing getting the most out of Collins/NML/Barkhuizen as a front 3, with options to come into the side and vary it. 

NML and Barkhuizen at wingback is such a waste, you want them bombing forward lumping cross in for Collins, not worrying about who’s going to cover if they get caught out of position.  Even in this game, Sibley has got forward much more effectively from fullback than wingback, as he’s got a winger to overlap, instead of being isolated.