Where have you met a famous footballer?

BaaLocks

I just held the door open for Tyrone Mings at our local golf club. Last time I held a door open for a footballer was when I did it for Archie Gemmill coming out of Jordan and Fitch newsagents in Littleover village in about 1981 (I remember he was at Birmingham City at the time). At that frequency, I will never hold a door open for a footballer again in my lifetime.

9 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I just held the door open for Tyrone Mings at our local golf club. Last time I held a door open for a footballer was when I did it for Archie Gemmill coming out of Jordan and Fitch newsagents in Littleover village in about 1981 (I remember he was at Birmingham City at the time). At that frequency, I will never hold a door open for a footballer again in my lifetime.

Our roll group has a footballer s day/ match every year so get to meet a few , was gutted about 3 years ago as I couldn’t make the day ,, my friend stepped in ,,, who does he get to play with ?  Seth bloody Johnson, grrrrr would have loved that day , not had an ex derby before or since 

22 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I do hope that 5 mins of cramp he had in alternate legs conveniently starting in the 87th minute at Wembley hasn't come back.  It seemed to clear up at the final whistle, so must come and go suddenly.  Probably a good job you were there to open the door just in case.  Perhaps he was there to get some clubs in case he's ever out and about and needs some makeshift splints.

Wimbledon, circa 1985, standing at one of the outside courts, became aware of a guy right next to me, took a glance and there was Garth Crooks.  Biggest surprise to me was how short he was. Well, by short, he was the exact same height as me, 5'8" but I always thought he was taller being a centre forward.  

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I do hope that 5 mins of cramp he had in alternate legs conveniently starting in the 87th minute at Wembley hasn't come back.  It seemed to clear up at the final whistle, so must come and go suddenly.  Probably a good job you were there to open the door just in case.  Perhaps he was there to get some clubs in case he's ever out and about and needs some makeshift splints.

Last footballer plural I opened a door for was Dalian Atkinson who as at Berlins with half the Villa team in about 94.  Thoroughly nice fella.  They were playing at Wembley against Man Utd on the Sunday and had come for a few out of town to avoid being spotted on the Friday.  Not sure it panned out  as a few as I had to 'assist' Mark Bosnich off the stairs and point them in the direction of the Pink Cocunut nightclub just round the corner I'd told them about.  Never get away with that nowadays .They won Sunday as well?

Oh had another one at the club I was a member of before current one , playing with my son , left our clubs by the pro shop , looked over and saw a big bloke with his back to us checking out my sons clubs , went over to see if all ok as there had been a spate golf club thefts from the club , asked if all ok , he turned round and smiled and said hello ,,, ruud gullit ??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

I've met loads over the years through work.  Some absolute tools and some were OK.  Some got better as the exuberance of youth and being billy big balls averaged out.  The weirdest occasion I had was Adam Bolder standing at a coffee stand at Chatsworth one Christmas watching Steve Sutton walk past him playing a trumpet.  Not sure either is famous outside of Derby, Nottingham and Hull mind.

Zico (the original white Pele for those under 50) at Zurich Airport in one of the lounges. He had been to FIFA to pick up some awards but did not say much. I got him to sign my work notebook. Marcel Desailly in NY when he was at AC Milan, he went into a store when I spotted him, his wife stayed outside. I asked her if he was who I thought, she said yes and explained that they holidayed in the US so he did not get recognised. He came out I asked for a 1 photo - old style, camera no selfies in those days - he wasn't happy, a right miserable ducker in fact.

I met Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink in Wagamamas at Gatwick Airport. Well, when I said 'met' I suggested my lad go have a selfie with him. he didn't want to so I took a photo of my lad with Jimmy in the background - Jimmy worked out what was going on, neither party was happy. 

2 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Zico (the original white Pele for those under 50) at Zurich Airport in one of the lounges. He had been to FIFA to pick up some awards but did not say much. I got him to sign my work notebook. Marcel Desailly in NY when he was at AC Milan, he went into a store when I spotted him, his wife stayed outside. I asked her if he was who I thought, she said yes and explained that they holidayed in the US so he did not get recognised. He came out I asked for a 1 photo - old style, camera no selfies in those days - he wasn't happy, a right miserable ducker in fact.

Saw a funny story on telly once.  Remember the gist so will do my best.

Roy Keane asked Rory Mcilroy for a signature for his 13 yr old son as he was a big fan at some sports event in Ireland.  He flatly told him he would happily sign for his son if he asked but Roy could do one as he'd asked him for his signature when he was 13 and was told to get lost.

Used to work with someone who had quite a bit to do with Notts County.  She waited with a group of kids for George Best in his bad years to come out after a game and he walked past the autograph books.  Apparently, after she had politely asked him for a word as he was getting on the bus and said the kids had stood in the rain waiting for 40 minutes, he apologised, said she was right to call him out and spent best part of an hour with the kids much to the delight of his team mates waiting to go.

Also heard from someone else that Paul Gascoigne not only walked past some kids but swore at one whilst at Spurs.  Linekar heard and made him apologise then got them all to sign a Spurs shirt on the bus for the boy he'd swore at and brought the remaining autograph books on and made Gascoigne sign them all.

For the older supporters amongst us. Met Ray Young, he was sat in my Mum and Dad's front room when he called at the house to discuss life insurance with me. It was a number of years after he had retired and was working for the Co-op insurance company. Memory may be playing tricks but I think Phil Waller was with him on one occasion.

Also once while carrying three pints of beer I nearly bumped into Paul Green as I turned away from the bar at the Ragley Boat Stop.

As for non-Derby players, stood behind Norman Whiteside while queuing to get on a plane back to Manchester.

I met the late Cyrille Regis in a bar in Birmingham in 1981. He was a friend of my mate's gf at the time and came over to chat. 

I almost tripped Kenny Dalglish up as he was coming out of the Langham Hotel near the BBC, about 5 years ago. He gave me a right dirty look.