Questions for our saviour Mr. David Clowes

IslandExile

6 hours ago, Taribo said:

1. Was it not possible to appoint Warne during the summer so that he could assemble the squad that he would have wanted? No

2.Did Warne assure him that he could work with the current squad or is he expecting a lot of trading during upcoming transfer windows? (And follow up: how frustrating would that be?). Yes, and second, 'a few new faces'

3. Does he and Warne put much emphasis on the Academy, including recruitment of young talent and Category 1 status? Yes

4. Was the aim promotion this season or, given Warne's 4 year contract, the bigger picture is the Derby County rebuild with promotion as and when it happens? Rebuild stability

5. Are targets - e.g. regarding league position, academy graduates breaking into the first team - being set? Yes

6.Onto more general things: over what timescales does he see himself as the owner? Having been reluctant in the first instance, would he be looking to sell? Soon? In the Championship? In the Premier League? Impossible to tell

7. Given Warne's title is Head Coach rather than Manager, will the club be appointing a Director of Football to oversee transfers, playing strategies etc? No.

Cheers Dave. Thanks once again for saving the club.

7 hours ago, IslandExile said:

1. Was it not possible to appoint Warne during the summer so that he could assemble the squad that he would have wanted?
  2. Did Warne assure him that he could work with the current squad or is he expecting a lot of trading during upcoming transfer windows? (And follow up: how frustrating would that be?).
  3. Does he and Warne put much emphasis on the Academy, including recruitment of young talent and Category 1 status?
  4. Was the aim promotion this season or, given Warne's 4 year contract, the bigger picture is the Derby County rebuild with promotion as and when it happens?
  5. Are targets - e.g. regarding league position, academy graduates breaking into the first team - being set?
  6. Onto more general things: over what timescales does he see himself as the owner? Having been reluctant in the first instance, would he be looking to sell? Soon? In the Championship? In the Premier League?
  7. Given Warne's title is Head Coach rather than Manager, will the club be appointing a Director of Football to oversee transfers, playing strategies etc?

You can ask these questions all you want. Most people can guess what the fobbing off answers will be. They won’t tell you what you want to know, you just have to wait. Actions speak louder than words 

Personally I don't see why we need to grill the guy that SAVED the club from extinction,  just be grateful we have a club, as a fan he's not going to do anything knowingly that will damage us, so he doesn't need to 'fob' us off as some have said, he's done his bit, now it's up to us to do ours and support the team

I don’t think it’s unreasonable that you ask these questions but I do think any implication, whether or not that’s what you’re intending to imply, that the level of communication from the new regime has been less than first rate is unreasonable.

Especially given the understandable lack of communication under the administrators driven largely by legal necessity, not to mention the abysmal lack of communication and direct miscommunication from the previous owner.

I’d only add that, in relation to Q6, everything Clowes and Clowes Development have done thus far has been consistent with a clear focus on the best interests of Derby County. I suspect any answer would be built on the assurances already given (repeatedly) to the effect that the goals today focus first and foremost on stabilising the club so that it never again has to face an existential crisis; and the question of ownership will only ever be considered consistent with Derby County’s best interests.

Given the experience of the last two years or so, I don’t want an answer to Q6 that strays from that and I’d be genuinely surprised if there were too many Derby fans who’d disagree wholeheartedly with that. 

Level of communication? What was communicated to me loud and clear was the new owner was prepared to use a massive chunk of his own money to save the club that was on the verge of extinction, that’s all the communication I need for a while and I don’t really feel I should be demanding more especially to allow me to pick apart his plans to move us forward away from the cliff edge

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Level of communication? What was communicated to me loud and clear was the new owner was prepared to use a massive chunk of his own money to save the club that was on the verge of extinction, that’s all the communication I need for a while and I don’t really feel I should be demanding more especially to allow me to pick apart his plans to move us forward away from the cliff edge

Agree, don't need DC communicating with us all the time, what he has done for our club should be enough. He saved us from extinction.

Just to clarify...I am not criticizing David Clowes for anything, including communication. I will forever be grateful for what he's done.

Nor am I expecting a direct response from him to those questions.

The reason for my original post was, and it's clear to anyone reading this forum, there is a lack of agreement or even understanding on the managerial appointment.

Surely, it would be nice for everyone to have a better idea of the club's overall strategy and direction. I do not think that's too much to ask. And asking it does not diminish my gratitude to DC for saving the club.

As much as I dislike the Paul Warne appointment, I'm not going to start ranting and raving about Mr Clowes no matter what. He saved our club from extinction. The man should have his own statue and street named after him. I'm forever grateful to the man.

He might mistakes, as every owner does, he's the best owner in the country as far as I'm concerned. 

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

it's clear to anyone reading this forum, there is a lack of agreement or even understanding on the managerial appointment.

Is this not just football? I mean we’re not out here employing the likes of Klopp and Guardiola, there will always be debates on every appointment with some not understanding why we went there.

We don’t have the best track record ourselves, look at the Pearson appointment, by far the most popular at the time. Couple of months later everyone is questioning why we went there.

For what it’s worth, I think it’s kinda obvious why we went for a manager with a great track record in getting teams promoted from League 1. It’s a dogfight down here, was never going to be attractive football. 

We’re not here to establish ourselves as a League 1 side, nor are we building a team for the future with loans and free transfers. We risk losing some of our young talent in the summer if we don’t go up.

Clowes clearly thought Warne gives us a better chance of promotion than Rosenior, we can all sit here and agree or disagree yet it’s only one opinion that really matters, Clowes. His money, his decisions.

3 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Just to clarify...I am not criticizing David Clowes for anything, including communication. I will forever be grateful for what he's done.

Nor am I expecting a direct response from him to those questions.

The reason for my original post was, and it's clear to anyone reading this forum, there is a lack of agreement or even understanding on the managerial appointment.

Surely, it would be nice for everyone to have a better idea of the club's overall strategy and direction. I do not think that's too much to ask. And asking it does not diminish my gratitude to DC for saving the club.

1 hour ago, David said:

Is this not just football? I mean we’re not out here employing the likes of Klopp and Guardiola, there will always be debates on every appointment with some not understanding why we went there.

We don’t have the best track record ourselves, look at the Pearson appointment, by far the most popular at the time. Couple of months later everyone is questioning why we went there.

For what it’s worth, I think it’s kinda obvious why we went for a manager with a great track record in getting teams promoted from League 1. It’s a dogfight down here, was never going to be attractive football. 

We’re not here to establish ourselves as a League 1 side, nor are we building a team for the future with loans and free transfers. We risk losing some of our young talent in the summer if we don’t go up.

Clowes clearly thought Warne gives us a better chance of promotion than Rosenior, we can all sit here and agree or disagree yet it’s only one opinion that really matters, Clowes. His money, his decisions.

I think David's response covers everything, except to add it would clearly have been impossible practically to appoint Warne in the summer while also bringing all the players in and recontracting all the others. So Clowes simply had to be pragmatic. I don't see what he could have done differently.