January Window

1of4

20 hours ago, Carnero said:

How about Tyler Walker from Cov, local lad, 26 years old and out of contract in the Summer. Had a poor time of it in recent seasons but did score 14 in 29 for Lincoln in league one in the 19/20 season.

Good suggestion! Definitely the sort of age we should be looking at... and there doesn't seem to be many like that that would be available either on a free or for loan. We've already got JC and McGoldrick to take the 'experienced striker' roles.

"...We're trying to bring a striker in that suits us and suits the way we play. If we can't, then we can't, there's no point in just going to get a striker for strikers' sake. The January window means it's like every striker turns into Ibrahimovic. Anyone who's available is the best striker ever and obviously, he isn't.

"But then that's the problem with January and I don't like the January window. It is literally there for mistakes that have been made in the previous summer because that's really what you're doing which is trying to correct what went wrong.

"I don't think there's a lot wrong with the side that's been put together in the summer. I've said on the record loads of times that what Liam and the team did before we got here was really impressive. We have a substantial amount left of the budget available but it has to improve what we've got and if it isn't going to improve what we got then I'm not going to spend it."

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

"...We're trying to bring a striker in that suits us and suits the way we play. If we can't, then we can't, there's no point in just going to get a striker for strikers' sake. The January window means it's like every striker turns into Ibrahimovic. Anyone who's available is the best striker ever and obviously, he isn't.

"But then that's the problem with January and I don't like the January window. It is literally there for mistakes that have been made in the previous summer because that's really what you're doing which is trying to correct what went wrong.

"I don't think there's a lot wrong with the side that's been put together in the summer. I've said on the record loads of times that what Liam and the team did before we got here was really impressive. We have a substantial amount left of the budget available but it has to improve what we've got and if it isn't going to improve what we got then I'm not going to spend it."

Why's warne being so reticent? If there's someone out there like Ibahimovic, I say sign him up! ???

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If we fail to sign a CF, I imagine we'll keep extending his loan deal 1 mknthat a time and just recall in the event of an emergency.

I see everyone has gone silent on needing a right back as we still haven’t got one - I don’t think it’s important at the moment with smith and Rooney covering it and Knight at a push not to mention the occasional appearance from Chester. 

13 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Currently I will be happy to keep Dobbin and not lose anyone else 

It was always going to be a tough window and if we end up with none of our main players leaving then fair enough, still think we’d be a little weaker than before 

"...I've noticed it has heated up because I'm getting more and more phone calls off my recruiter and the deals get crazier. I got offered a centre-back yesterday that I don't need. It was no wages and I didn't have to pay a penny for him.

"If I needed a centre-half, I would have taken him because he's a good player. Now if I asked about him three weeks ago, they'd have probably said they needed X amount. But now all of a sudden, they just need to go and play and they can do so anywhere for free. More and more players get concertinaed into the last three or four days. And I've been phoned about other players where this player at a top Premier League club is now available and you only have to pay like an eighth of his wages, which makes it attainable for League One clubs.

...It just gets a little bit chaotic and even more so after this weekend...That's what ends up happening or managers go to the board and say 'look, if you don't get me this striker, we're not going to achieve anything'. Even the board gets tweaky because the fans have been on at the board and everything changes. Whereas at the start of January, there isn't that intensity, but it just gets driven up.

"Or a player might go in and say I just don't want to be here anymore, I've waited all window, Derby want me and I want to go to Derby let it happen. Everything sort of happens in the last 72 hours I think. But there's just more options and loads of things sort of level up a bit at the end of the window."

I still think we will see a striker and potentially a keeper come in, as Warne has said, it all tends to happen towards the end of the window and its clear from his comments that clubs are now starting to take what they can to get rid so we can compete abit better.

Edited by DCFC1388