The Sibley Enigma

sage

On 13/03/2023 at 22:14, Brammie Steve said:

John McGovern was great at coming up with the goods when it counted. (25 yarder with a leather ball the weight of a medicine ball, Winner in last game of 71-72 season.) usually but with occasional howlers (back pass vs Arsenal in 2nd FA cup replay)

I too saw John McG.

I've enjoyed Sibley's growing pains into an exciting prospect too!

I have still never forgiven McGovern for that bloody back pass. 

5 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Depends on how long he used wingbacks for at Rotherham - was it something he adopted in his final season because those were the players available or was he predominantly playing with wingbacks throughout most of his tenure.

Either way I'd suggest that by your 6th season in charge you know your budget and your preferred style well enough that they should align, it's plenty of time to get the type of players you want regardless of budget - especially after a few money-spinning seasons in a league above your natural level.

After becoming manager in 2016, it wasnt until Feb 2019 that he first used 3/5 at the back. However, that was only twice in that season (drawing both) and due to an injury crisis to midfielders, with a CB playing DM in both. He didnt use 3/5 at the back again until November 2020. He used 4 at the back only twice more up until leaving Rotherham for us.

14 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is it? Or was it the system that worked at Rotherham with their resources?

Not 100% certain, but I believe he said so in early interviews here, and didn't we start out with that system under him? 

Thread should be re-labelled Sibley The Scapegoat / Sibley The Saviour on a rotational basis 

Once again hauled off when there were worse players / performances on the pitch and players coming on who offered less of a threat in a game where we needed something only he can produce to get us back in the game.

25 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

The excuse on radio Derby was that only him or Knight can play the behind the striker role; which really was a massive cop out today by Warne.

I mean WTF!?! 

To make it worse he obviously sees Collins as 'the striker'. Getting wobbly now...

He needs a move away to a team ironically like fleetwood who’ll play him blind faith and put up with his stinkers because he scores goals. Hopefully with plenty of matches he’ll find consistency and get a move back up the ladder.

Unfortunately he’s either been in a relegation battle or now a promotion hunt and his stinkers which really are poor can’t be tolerated. 

Our squad is missing a real Taraabt style talent that can single handedly win us matches. Sibley could be this man but I’m afraid the treatment of him by Cocu (towards the end) and Rooney had pushed him back 2 years.

I’d try him again on Saturday behind didzy but if he fluffs his lines again it’s hard to defend him.

5 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

He needs a move away to a team ironically like fleetwood who’ll play him blind faith and put up with his stinkers because he scores goals. Hopefully with plenty of matches he’ll find consistency and get a move back up the ladder.

Unfortunately he’s either been in a relegation battle or now a promotion hunt and his stinkers which really are poor can’t be tolerated. 

Our squad is missing a real Taraabt style talent that can single handedly win us matches. Sibley could be this man but I’m afraid the treatment of him by Cocu (towards the end) and Rooney had pushed him back 2 years.

I’d try him again on Saturday behind didzy but if he fluffs his lines again it’s hard to defend him.

What did he have to feed off in the first half?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Didn’t watch the match so can’t comment but it seems to be a pattern with him that he can’t have 3/4 matches in a row where he dominates. 

Not saying today was on him and maybe he was harshly subbed. But Warne is the 3rd manager now to have him. So if he doesn’t trust him to play there week in week out maybe there is an issue. 

Like I say if we were a mid table side then by all means play him blind faith and see what happens. But Warne hasn’t got that luxury. I’d try him again on sat but we need results by hook or by crook so he won’t get many cracks of the whip.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Making yourself available helps 

He is a very limited player. He scores some goals but not enough to compensate for his poor general play.

Until he learns how to look up when moving with the ball, he won't improve 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's been asked.

I'm still stunned by the Knight and Sibley comment.

Knight’s not even a 10 anyway. Will get away with him there a little bit at this level but concerning that PW thinks he has the attributes to play that role.

1 minute ago, sage said:

Making yourself available helps 

He is a very limited player. He scores some goals but not enough to compensate for his poor general play.

Until he learns how to look up when moving with the ball, he won't improve 

And yet he's still sooo much better than Collins.

44 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Question has to be asked, how can you keep Collins on and take Sibley off?

Because we were 2 down and we only have 2 CFs in the squad. Why take one off at HT even if he isn't the best