5 penalties given away in 3 games. Is this a record?

sage

56 minutes ago, jameso said:

It seems opinion is divided on whether the McGoldrick one should have been given (quite a few calling it a foul, but also a common view that the fans helped persuade the lino to call it... eventually!)

Assuming it was legit though, that would make 3 of the 5 penalty decisions correct (4 if we're allowing Bird's "foul" at Accrington which didn't look a pen to me), which is still abject in terms of bad defensive play.

There was a lot of circumstantial evidence to suggest the Port Vale ref had his own agenda: wanting to get himself back on Vale's Christmas Card list before they start sending them out.

Beyond that, there may be a conspiracy, but I'm not sure the recent spate of penalty awards against us is the smoking gun. The general tendency for bad decisions could be a clue... or it's just that the officials at this level are diabolical and it will eventually even itself out (? - here's hoping!)

Knight - penalty

Bird - 50:50 collision, no penalty

Davies - outside of area, no penalty

Hourihane - penalty

McGoldrick - penalty

6 hours ago, jameso said:

Some of the pens have been dubious to say the least but interesting to see who’s been giving them away:

Barkhuizen (not a pen, but definitely not a natural in his own box)

Hourihane (ridiculous handball)

Bird (something and nothing, normally not given without 10 mins of VAR replays and the decision would have brought football into disrepute 50+ years ago)

Davies (clumsy)

McGoldrick (looked like Bird’s one to me)

On the whole then I think the major issue has been very generous refereeing, but given that only one alleged offence was committed by a defensive player, maybe the rest of the team need to revisit their Defending 101 class?

As to the question of whether it’s a record: don’t know, but Brighton conceded 4 in this match alone:

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/07/brighton-crystal-palace-five-penalties

Davies was clumsy but not in the area so even if it was a foul it wasn't a peno. 

4 hours ago, Premier ram said:

think out of the 5 pens only the handball against Vale was a pen , think the one last night was given because they missed the earlier challenge by NML which i think was a pen , totally agree with other posters about that awful challenge on Smith , clear cut red

Did you see the replay of the NML incident?

He clearly got the ball and there wasn't enough contact to make their player go down like he did.

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Knight - penalty

Hourihane - penalty

McGoldrick - penalty

I'd go with that, save that I thought last night's was a dive but justice was done in the end. 

I just wonder how many would have been awarded if we'd been the attacking team. Edmondson clearly had hold of one of our players (Osula?) in the penalty area in full view of the ref. I don't WANT to perpetuate the "agenda" narrative, but I'm struggling. 

Last night was as though the player had been told to go down with the slightest contact because “we’ll get it”. There was no contact. 

But given the absolute rash of soft decisions against Derby, if it was poor refereeing then Derby would have had a few by now. There were 2, possibly 3 in the Port Vale match, and they weren’t soft decisions - they were blatant, the foul on Sibley being as obvious as you can get.

Something is most definitely not right about this, and it isn’t down to incompetence.

Maybe we should start singing “You do know what you are doing”. ?

Edited by DavesaRam

Exeter fan here, I’m hoping you concede a couple more on Tuesday evening. Not sure how the game’s gonna go, our performance will depend on how many fit defenders we’ve got and whether our new manager is in place by then (he’s expected to be). Anyway, looking forward to seeing Exeter at Pride Park, I was at the Baseball Ground in 1992 or whenever it was, when you beat us 2-0 in a thunderstorm. It’ll be great to see us run out at Pride Park, I’m just hoping it’s a tight game that we edge.

1 hour ago, fred binneys head said:

Exeter fan here, I’m hoping you concede a couple more on Tuesday evening. Not sure how the game’s gonna go, our performance will depend on how many fit defenders we’ve got and whether our new manager is in place by then (he’s expected to be). Anyway, looking forward to seeing Exeter at Pride Park, I was at the Baseball Ground in 1992 or whenever it was, when you beat us 2-0 in a thunderstorm. It’ll be great to see us run out at Pride Park, I’m just hoping it’s a tight game that we edge.

Welcome. Who's Fred Binney? Were a friendly lot, tell us a bit about yersen.

9 hours ago, fred binneys head said:

We haven’t got many players ourselves and injuries are to major players - we haven’t really conceded penalties we have had officials gussying from the antics of so called professionals cheating because that is what it has been and I would say the same if it was people wearing our shirt 

21 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Knight - penalty

Hourihane - penalty

McGoldrick - penalty

It was Barkhuizen and no penalty for me. 

Agree with rest but also add red card for Davies. 

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Welcome. Who's Fred Binney? Were a friendly lot, tell us a bit about yersen.

Played for Exeter in the 70s, great goal scorer wherever he went, big moustache, bowl haircut.

Looking forward to the game on Tuesday, this fixture shows how far you’ve fallen though (sorry), we’ve never played you in the league before. This, plus half term, will mean there’s a few more City fans there than you might expect. I saw on another thread someone said there would be a couple of hundred Exeter fans so we should surprise at least one of you ?