Ban Fireworks

Day

The one positive is that our local fireworks display raises thousands for good causes. When they moved to mostly silent fireworks people didn’t turn up in anywhere near the same numbers.

It does seem a huge waste of money overall, especially when food banks have never been so busy.

Setting off fireworks nowadays is such a vacuous, grotesque pursuit, such a display of conspicuous consumption, with barely the merest hint of a metaphor separating it from the act of burning actual pound notes that I can only conclude that anyone who partakes is likely the type of person that finds white Range Rovers, holidays in Dubai and gold watches desirable.

And they're loud and scare dogs and old people so there's that too.

Ban 'em outside of public displays and make everyone who goes to these displays wear a little badge (perhaps in the shape of a gold star) that says "I'm X years old and still get excited by pretty lights and loud bangs" underneath to be worn at all times so that I know when to cross the street.

Sorry @Alpha.

37 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Setting off fireworks nowadays is such a vacuous, grotesque pursuit, such a display of conspicuous consumption, with barely the merest hint of a metaphor separating it from the act of burning actual pound notes that I can only conclude that anyone who partakes is likely the type of person that finds white Range Rovers, holidays in Dubai and gold watches desirable.

And they're loud and scare dogs and old people so there's that too.

Ban 'em outside of public displays and make everyone who goes to these displays wear a little badge (perhaps in the shape of a gold star) that says "I'm X years old and still get excited by pretty lights and loud bangs" underneath to be worn at all times so that I know when to cross the street.

Sorry @Alpha.

There's a good few Indian Families in the area I live, Try banning Divali, You'll be in front of the judge on racial discrimination charges faster than the Titanic going down, As a footnote...it's worse that November 5th, As each family sets them off for weeks after  

Home firework displays are so naff that I'm surprised anyone bothers these days. They seemed fun when we were kids though and I expect that they still do to the nippers of today, but it seems that every religious or cultural event (Diwali, Eid, NY, CNY et al et al) now comes with obligatory fireworks that I think a blanket ban on private sales would be quite popular. 

On 06/10/2022 at 12:14, Anon said:

I don't like them. They're expensive and I don't really understand the enjoyment people derive from loud bangs/pretty colours. You could look through a kaleidoscope whilst someone repeatedly bangs a drum and get the same effect. I don't see how anyone can seriously justify a ban though. The arguments that they're dangerous and anti-social can be applied to many things. Shall we ban motorbikes too?

Keep the bikes but ban those electric scooter things 

Cancel culture is alive and well............

"I don't like them, ban them".

I have fond memories of family bonfire parties from my childhood, my children's childhood and now my grandchildren's childhood. It's a tradition I look forward to every year.

We are considerate though and inform our close neighbours of our intentions and start and end the fireworks at a reasonable time.

Whilst I'm against banning what for many is a family tradition spanning many generations I would welcome some regulations e.g. limiting home fireworks to certain times of night, limiting their use to one week of the year.

2 minutes ago, Ewetube said:

I have fond memories of family bonfire parties from my childhood, my children's childhood and now my grandchildren's childhood. It's a tradition I look forward to every year.

We are considerate though and inform our close neighbours of our intentions and start and end the fireworks at a reasonable time.

Whilst I'm against banning what for many is a family tradition spanning many generations I would welcome some regulations e.g. limiting home fireworks to certain times of night, limiting their use to one week of the year.

I agree, memories of neighbours getting together all making different hot foods, mushy peas with mint, hot dogs with boiled/fried proper onions on top. Jacket potatoes done in the embers wrapped in tin foil.  Arh the memories!

Supersonic bang fireworks, air bombs, the crappy Catherine wheel and the disappointment of the French candle.

The fireworks are much improved nowadays, they are all in one box that once lit can last for 10 mins.  Maybe the constant noise is the problem compared to the past?  At least we used to have gaps in between lighting them, we would never let them all off together, we’d need to spread them out or it’d be all over in minutes.

Many of us had dogs too, but like you say, it was normally one night or two max if the other kids parents up the road had a bonfire also.

The radio was left on in the house turned up to help with the dog not hearing all the commotion I seem to remember.

My Dad was a very quiet man, We knew little to nowt about his life, Had 6 kids tho, the one and only time we had a bonfire party was the biggest of damp squibs...no it wasn't raining, He bought a box of Benwell or Standard fireworks a small box containing around 6-8 fireworks, A milk bottle at the ready for a rocket that went Vroooshhh with trailing sparks, A Catherine wheel that fell off the nail, A jumping jack that chased our Mother, A Roman Candle that fell over, 2 bangers that went phoot, And a packet of sparklers, All over in 10mins, Dad was in charge of the matches the ones that glowed.

He thought that's what bonfire night was all about bless him.

Job done, Then all down to Chadd Park for the real bonfire, Not organised but everyone took there old rubbish and burnt it, Still burning days after...I bloody loved it, Blagging Jacket Tators or a sausage roll, Everyone knew each other, All standing round a huge fire with one side of your face red and the other white from the heat of the fire...great days were had, As for Dad he'd be watching a John Wayne movie or summat.

On 06/10/2022 at 17:07, Stive Pesley said:

Our dog seems completely oblivious to fireworks. I think he may be faulty

Ours was until, thinking it safe to let him out in the garden at night on his own as it was late November, we left him snuffling about and the idiots at the end of the garden let off a rocket, scaring him half to death. That was only 2 years ago and he’s 13 so he’d gone all his life not getting upset. Now he’s scared 

Ban them apart from organised displays.  Far too many dicks about chucking them in wheelie bins, shoving them in letter boxes over the last few years.  Also they're not the old ones that went about two feet.  had them glowing and burning in my garden from the t**** 5 doors own who are lighting them pissed for the last 4 years.  Fortunately saw one land on some outdoor furniture last year before it melted through. 

6 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Two of my sisters had a gerbil apiece... hamsters?... No... Guinea Pigs, that's it!

Kept outside in a hutch.

Anyway... they both died... together... on Bonfire Night 1977.

So there!  'nuff said!    

Tin foil in the embers?

oh come on….it’s not too soon! ?

On 08/10/2022 at 09:06, Ewetube said:

There are considerate people out there that would inform neighbours, keep within reasonable hours, the problem is you have many that are not like you.

These are the people that can only be described as anti social.

We have them going off randomly from 4pm past midnight for weeks, right through to New Year, these type of people would not be bothered by regulations and it’s impossible to Police effectively. 

It’s not just about dogs either which the trolls like @Boycie will bang on about, you have cats, wildlife, elderly, ex military with PTSD that are all affected at this time of year.

Silent fireworks on sale for private displays, normal fireworks for public displays would surely be the fairest compromise. I don’t think anyone would have any complaints if this was introduced. 

On 06/10/2022 at 14:41, Unlucky Alf said:

I had family members who worked at Hayley and Weller in Draycott Derbyshire, Fireworks were always free ?

One night we had a bonfire party and they brought some firework bombs that you bury in the ground, Well we buried them in the ground there were 3, Lit the fuse and stood back, The 1st one went off as should and flew into the sky...then there was a nuclear explosion of a sound I'd never heard, Loud enough to burst our eardrums, We ran inside as we knew there were 2 more on there way, WOW! ? the amount of buildings that shook ?

The family member said they were army issue as they had a contract from the M O D ?

Booom !