Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

16 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

In the meantime I will keep posting any reservations I have on here, and saving up all my positivity for when I can get my arse off the sofa to go to a match. Perhaps that shouldn’t be too long (what do you think @Boycie?).

Reservations? On a 19 game unbeaten run, top of the form table and scoring for fun? 

At what point will you jump on the bandwagon?

Get yersen off the sofa and join the fun youth.

42 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I would have to say,that you need to watch more of how derby now play.....

Derby v Bolton was more indicative of our style when we play a game on a pitch that doesn't resemble a ploughed field.

I've watched every game this season and I have been impressed how we have developed into a high energy,high pressing tram with some lovely football being played.

Warne is nothing but adaptable though and can turn his hand at playing the rough and tumble sides as well as the league's high flyers.

No mate.

That was Alan Bradley, not Warney.

3_The-cast-of-Coronation-Street-filming-in-Blackpool.jpg

11 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I suspect those of us who had doubts about Warne haven't got much to argue about given the team is going well & probably don't have the inclination to engage with Warne obsessives seeking to either belittle the previous manager's contribution to this squad, or desperately seek self-validation. You crack on lads, got better things to do with my time ?

...& whilst I acknowledge results have been good recently, I continue to have reservations about him long term & especially at a higher level - which lets face it, is where we want to be successful in coming years.

This is why some posters feel they can't make comments about our previous 'manager'. 

The second highlighted sentence is very funny indeed - so you won't be happy if we get to play at a higher level because you think Warne won't be successful there? We should wait for the next Klopp/Pep to take us up to glory should we?

Edited by RoyMac5

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The second highlighted sentence is very funny indeed - so you won't be happy if we get to play at a higher level because you think Warne won't be successful there? We should wait for the next Klopp/Pep to take us up to glory should we?

Think it would be sensible to have reservations about Warne's ability to take us beyond the Championship.  His record in the division is terrible. Obviously with a team with limited resources.

It's not really a conversation for now though is it when we are unbeaten in 19 and have won 6 on the bounce?  Let's just enjoy this while we can.

Edited by Blondest Goat

2 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Think it would be sensible to have reservations about Warne's ability to take us beyond the Championship.  His record in the division is terrible. Obviously with a team with limited resources.

It's not really a conversation for now though is it when we are unbeaten in 19 and have won 6 on the bounce?  Let's just enjoy this while we can.

Yeah lets wait until he gets us to the Championship shall we. ?

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, Needlesh said:

At what point will you jump on the bandwagon?

Like the manager who himself said (paraphrasing) he'll bounce when we've actually achieved something, I'll get all giddy like a schoolgirl being within 50ft of a popstar once we're out of this league, and no sooner.

Maybe not even until Warne has us looking safe in the Championship, because that is the level we should be at. 

Don't mistake that however for not being on-board with what Warne is doing, not being happy with how things are going, or not being delighted when we come back to snatch a late win in a difficult game like we did the other night.

It's just that I'm not going to start making out like Warne is the second coming of Jim Smith or anyone else just because both managers have us on an (excellent) unbeaten run, especially when the current run is in the 3rd division with Championship level quality and experience.  

People can show their enjoyment of things (or not show it even if they feel it) in many different ways, but at times in here it feels like there is only one way which is allowed / accepted or else you're told to shut up!

Jamie Ward was on RD yesterday discussing us and said something along the lines of us always being likely to end up on a good run once the squad settled/gelled and we got our experienced players up to fitness.

If he'd have posted that as part of an argument on here, God help him

Edited by Kokosnuss

I think Warne has taken the job knowing that should he take us back to the Championship, he is going to have far more flexibility than he ever did at Rotherham.

It’s one step back at the current time, but potentially 10 steps forward if he can get it right here.

I would expect us to need a season to stabilise ourselves back in the Championship, so I hope we stay grounded in our expectations.

The pressure will come once we’ve done that. Can he keep pace with growing expectations? That is the worry for me - the expectations from the fans as we reach a more familiar position could swallow him up.

Saying that he seems like he enjoys proving people wrong and I think he has already shown that he is adaptable and that he can find solutions to problems from within, both in terms of tactics and personnel.

My confidence in him is growing with each passing game, but it is fair to say there are greater challenges ahead.

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

He tends to start games with a more direct approach, then begin to mix it up with shorter balls. The squad does both pretty well.  I think defenders find the mixing it up hard to deal with and we’re less vulnerable to a strong press than we were under Rooney and LR. (Not that there are many of those in this div). PV were fresher than us on Tuesday so we had less possession than we’d expect and as you mention the pitch just got worse and worse.  I think he’s got us playing plenty of attractive football and he’s more or less getting the best out of the squad. 

Not questioning the general tone of this Kevin but if Port Vale really started out fresher than us on the pitch that just got worse and worse, by the end they were out on their feet and we were running all over them - Darrell Clarke alluded to that. At 70 minutes the score was 1-0 but after that it could have ended anywhere between 1-0 and 1-5.  We were like the Alamo in that time.

However, given the age and the depth of our squad I have but one worry about now and the end of the season, can we sustain the high energy? In the Lampard season, at the two-thirds mark, Leeds seemed nailed on for the automatics with the intense energy approach implemented by Bielsa. They faded in the last third of the season and it all ended in tears on that glorious night at Elland Road. Many national pundits and Leeds fans put it down to burn-out. Bielsa strengthened his squad the next season and they got up.

I think this week, listening to his interviews, Warne and his staff are very aware of that danger for us. He has emphasised how exhausted the team is at the end of 90 minutes and also about the need to rest between games - that one is straight out of the Brian Clough manual.

I think we have a very interesting but demanding run-in before us. I hope we are ultimately strong enough to cross the finishing line on the road back up.

23 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Not questioning the general tone of this Kevin but if Port Vale really started out fresher than us on the pitch that just got worse and worse, by the end they were out on their feet and we were running all over them - Darrell Clarke alluded to that. At 70 minutes the score was 1-0 but after that it could have ended anywhere between 1-0 and 1-5.  We were like the Alamo in that time.

However, given the age and the depth of our squad I have but one worry about now and the end of the season, can we sustain the high energy? In the Lampard season, at the two-thirds mark, Leeds seemed nailed on for the automatics with the intense energy approach implemented by Bielsa. They faded in the last third of the season and it all ended in tears on that glorious night at Elland Road. Many national pundits and Leeds fans put it down to burn-out. Bielsa strengthened his squad the next season and they got up.

I think this week, listening to his interviews, Warne and his staff are very aware of that danger for us. He has emphasised how exhausted the team is at the end of 90 minutes and also about the need to rest between games - that one is straight out of the Brian Clough manual.

I think we have a very interesting but demanding run-in before us. I hope we are ultimately strong enough to cross the finishing line on the road back up.

Didn't Bielsa only actually get them up after an enforced mid-season break due to Covid? I felt they would have fallen off a cliff again had that not happened. 

I love pressing hard and being fitter than the opposition, but you're right to point out it may come at a cost. This cup tie and the three game break have come at a good time for us.

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Didn't Bielsa only actually get them up after an enforced mid-season break due to Covid? I felt they would have fallen off a cliff again had that not happened. 

I love pressing hard and being fitter than the opposition, but you're right to point out it may come at a cost. This cup tie and the three game break have come at a good time for us.

No disrespect meant, but don't you think the fitness guys will have looked at our fixture list?

13 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Ah, the witch-hunt continues ?

I suspect those of us who had doubts about Warne haven't got much to argue about given the team is going well & probably don't have the inclination to engage with Warne obsessives seeking to either belittle the previous manager's contribution to this squad, or desperately seek self-validation. You crack on lads, got better things to do with my time ?

P.s. Not in the slightest bit interested whether Warne was aware some Derby fans didn't want him. I absolutely stand by what I said about him back in September & whilst I acknowledge results have been good recently, I continue to have reservations about him long term & especially at a higher level - which lets face it, is where we want to be successful in coming years.

Doesn't mean that we can't enjoy the team doing well at the minute. Which is exactly what I'm planning on doing if that's OK with you & @Jourdan - many thanks in advance ?

I don't agree with the wholesale naming. If you want the evidence just find it yourself and keep it to yourself or comment on a particular point if you wish but we are not vigilantes. We are a broad church of Derby County fans with opinions that sometimes gel and sometimes conflict. It would be a very boring place if we all trotted out the same old line. If that's what you want go and try North Korea.

One person's meat is another person's poison, one person's ceiling is another person's floor. The person who never got anything wrong, never did anything.

I hope in future the mods quickly dismantle any walls of shame. We all have one thing in common - We're Derby 'til we die.

Just now, Brailsford Ram said:

I don't agree with the wholesale naming. If you want the evidence just find it yourself and keep it to yourself or comment on a particular point if you wish but we are not vigilantes. We are a broad church of Derby County fans with opinions that sometimes gel and sometimes conflict. It would be a very boring place if we all trotted out the same old line. If that's what you want go and try North Korea.

One person's meat is another person's poison, one person's ceiling is another person's floor. The person who never got anything wrong, never did anything.

I hope in future the mods quickly dismantle any walls of shame. We all have one thing in common - We're Derby 'til we die.

Spot on ?

We're only 6 months off the back of the some of the most traumatic times any club has had to deal with & we sit here today, unbeaten since November, a genuine fan as owner & massive crowds following us home & away. Life is good.

Like all managers & styles of play, some will embrace it & some won't be as keen. We all want the best for Derby County & if Warne takes us to where we believe we belong, then brilliant. Its a shame that isnt enough for one or two vocal posters who also want the chance to bleat 'I told you so' & then call out others when their infantile rants are ignored. Clearly some inadequacies there if that's their focus rather than the club rising from the canvas & excitement for the future.

Dreaming of Wembley & 40,000 Derby serenading Rick Parry as he hands over the trophy over to Curtis ??

COYR

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Dreaming of Wembley & 40,000 Derby serenading Rick Parry as he hands over the trophy over to Curtis ??

I'd happily forego that pleasure for the automatics - I haven't given up yet ?

43 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Spot on ?

We're only 6 months off the back of the some of the most traumatic times any club has had to deal with & we sit here today, unbeaten since November, a genuine fan as owner & massive crowds following us home & away. Life is good.

Like all managers & styles of play, some will embrace it & some won't be as keen. We all want the best for Derby County & if Warne takes us to where we believe we belong, then brilliant. Its a shame that isnt enough for one or two vocal posters who also want the chance to bleat 'I told you so' & then call out others when their infantile rants are ignored. Clearly some inadequacies there if that's their focus rather than the club rising from the canvas & excitement for the future.

COYR

Massively ironic seeing as twice this week you've gone on an 'I told you so" style 'rant' taking aim at anyone who wasn't initially fully supportive of or didn't yet understand the logic of the change.

You're calling for the focus to be on our club's recovery in one breath and pointing out people's supposed inadequacies if it isn't, and in the next breath focusing you're busying yourself calling out fans who expressed doubts. Make up your mind.

Those traumatic times you mention were also the reason some people reacted the way they did. On the surface of it, before people really had a chance to get their head around it, the way we went from Rosenior to Warne very much resembled some of the changes Mel Morris made.

It hasn't turned out like those, thankfully, but if you're expecting people not to have reacted with surprise / concern after what they've been put through previously and then lording it over them months down the line when you've picked the 'right' reaction then of course you're going to get some people giving it you back.

I feel you betrayed yourself with one of your posts last night complaining about how you were treated for your options on Cocu - it made it look like your real purpose here isn't about supporting the club and enjoying the good times, rather you getting some sort of 'revenge' and the you've placed yourself in the easiest position to do that, thinking nobody would notice.

I mean I get it, I do, nobody wants to continually have to defend their viewpoint so if it's easier to take the path of least resistance, and backing Warne to the hilt from the off (he is after all a proven winner) represents the best opportunity for that.

I'm not saying that's actually your intention btw, just the way it may look to some of the people who were responding to you last night. Only you really know.

Edited by Kokosnuss

9 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Massively ironic seeing as twice this week you've gone on an 'I told you so" style 'rant' taking aim at anyone who wasn't initially fully supportive of or didn't yet understand the logic of the change.

You're calling for the focus to be on our club's recovery in one breath and pointing out people's supposed inadequacies if it isn't, and in the next breath focusing you're busying yourself calling out fans who expressed doubts. Make up your mind.

Those traumatic times you mention were also the reason some people reacted the way they did. On the surface of it, before people really had a chance to get their head around it, the way we went from Rosenior to Warne very much resembled some of the changes Mel Morris made.

It hasn't turned out like those, thankfully, but if you're expecting people not to have reacted with surprise / concern after what they've been put through previously and then lording it over them months down the line when you've picked the 'right' reaction then of course you're going to get some people giving it you back.

I feel you betrayed yourself with one of your posts last night complaining about how you were treated for your options on Cocu - it made it look like your real purpose here isn't about supporting the club and enjoying the good times, rather you getting some sort of 'revenge' and the you've placed yourself in the easiest position to do that, thinking nobody would notice.

I mean I get it, I do, nobody wants to continually have to defend their viewpoint so if it's easier to take the path of least resistance, and backing Warne to the hilt from the off (he is after all a proven winner) represents the best opportunity for that.

I'm not saying that's actually your intention btw, just the way it may look to some of the people who were responding to you last night. Only you really know.

Hi Kokosnuss,

Think you may have quoted the wrong poster here ?

Im guessing from the content of your post its Jourdan you're looking for...

5 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Hi Kokosnuss,

Think you may have quoted the wrong poster here ?

Im guessing from the content of your post its Jourdan you're looking for...

Haha what a nightmare.

I've actually read your post thinking he posted it, been a bit distracted today 

Apologies both.

55 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

It had no resemblance to changes made by Mel Morris whatsoever. Morris flushed about £35m of the club's money - not all his own as it all turned out - down the pan in changing too many 'contracted' managers or head coaches and a CEO and paying them contracted compensation. Rosenior was a contracted coach who was appointed 'interim' manager, whose position could have been made permanent if David Clowes decided that was what he wanted. He didn't take that option and instead offered Paul Warne the vacant manager's job in preference to Liam Rosenior. It was his call and his alone to do that. He saw it as beneficial to the club's future and while you have every right to be protective of Rosenior, you can hardly say at the moment that David Clowes got it wrong - and I do note that you are supportive of Warne as the current manager. But Rosenior was not sacked.

But your comparison about Rosenior's departure alongside the Morris dismissals, by implication could be seen by some as the two owners being two peas in a pod. They are diametric opposites. David Clowes is a fan, a very private person who does not seek attention, is financially prudent, has the best intentions of the club at heart and was a reluctant owner. He bleeds black & white. Mel Morris had none of those qualities.

Looking through the posts on this forum, I actually think that even those who are most pro-Warne (Cultish as you call them) were also appreciative of what Liam Rosenior did for this club. It wasn't an issue that split the fanbase in two and nor should it have been.

LeedsCityRam is actually one of the posters who was more upset at Rosenior's departure than most and he expressed doubts about Warne's appointment. So I don't quite see your argument with him on this point. He's a fan for approaching 50 years and you will see from his reputation he is pretty well respected by most on here. He is definitely not in your Cultish category about Paul Warne. He and I agree on a lot of things but our opinions over the appointment of Paul Warne have differed from the beginning but we'd never fall about it. In my opinion you have misread him over this issue.

Try not to slip into your self-defined category of one syllable difference from Cultish over this issue.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

This thread has been slightly surreal over the last couple of days. Will have to say this carefully but lots of male appendage waving. 

Warne's misfortune was being brought in to replace a generally popular figure who had stuck with us through MM's poo and signed much better players than we were expecting in our position. If he had taken over from a manager losing every match 5-0 most (although there's always one) would have been ecstatic