Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

8 hours ago, ram59 said:

Maybe not a shoestring when comparing with clubs at the bottom of league 1, but certainly a shoestring budget when compared with clubs they competed with and beat, to gain promotion.

Surely by this point it's just a case of admitting what you said was guesswork and that you actually have no idea what budgets either Warne or his competitors were operating under!

9 hours ago, ram59 said:

Maybe not a shoestring when comparing with clubs at the bottom of league 1, but certainly a shoestring budget when compared with clubs they competed with and beat, to gain promotion.

19/20 top wage bills:

image.png.0be7de9bba7997530ad331ba1f61b366.png

21/22 top wage bills:

image.png.241739adbe41b2dc347a0f438def2b82.png

Note 1: Sunderland's 19/20 figure includes players who were loaned out and were on big wages
Note 2: Sunderland's figure is for 20/21 as they haven't released accounts for 21/22 yet
Note 3: Sheff Wesd not included in 21/22 as they haven't released accounts and there's no reliable data to 'guess' what their wage bill was

In terms of transfer fees paid, only Bolton (21/22), Fleetwood (19/20), Ipswich (19/20 and 21/22), Peterborough (19/20), Sunderland (21/22), and Wigan (21/22) spent more than they received.

I think these figures help put our own restriction into perspective. The rumoured £12m wage budget isn't overly restrictive

17 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

You really like to spin a yarn don't you. 😂 Just because there are posters making comments that you see as 'anti-Warne and his staff', perhaps you'd like to consider a fact that there has been poor results recently and there are limited ways to make this look as rosy as you seem to see it. I'm not waiting for him to fail, it's not about him it's about Derby County, I want success for the Club we all support.

yes , all of the top 6 or 7 have had a wobble , perhaps the timing of ours makes some of our fans go into grim reaper mode but we are slowly coming out of ours and i for one am still very hopeful we will make the play offs

22 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

Do we just ignore the january transfer window because it wasn’t very good?

We were limited in January as I think the derby telegraph stayed at the time we were near the top of budget and kept it calm to be under the threshold so in the summer we had some negotiating in our favour to relax the embargo. As for getting players what did you expect us to do for pity sake. If a players agent said they wanted a fee we couldn’t sign them we also couldn’t pay any transfer fees or couldn’t pay a loan fee to a club. If teams want a loan fee why should they bend over and just let us have there player if another team was willing to pay a fee and January is bad enough as it is. Unfortunately osula got called back and we had no way to replace him and I don’t think if not under the embargo we would have signed Springett or the other lad. Until we are out of the restrictions apart from the summer when frees come up at end of contract we are swimming against the tide for players 

49 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

We were limited in January as I think the derby telegraph stayed at the time we were near the top of budget and kept it calm to be under the threshold so in the summer we had some negotiating in our favour to relax the embargo. As for getting players what did you expect us to do for pity sake. If a players agent said they wanted a fee we couldn’t sign them we also couldn’t pay any transfer fees or couldn’t pay a loan fee to a club. If teams want a loan fee why should they bend over and just let us have their player if another team was willing to pay a fee and January is bad enough as it is. Unfortunately osula got called back and we had no way to replace him and I don’t think if not under the embargo we would have signed Springett or the other lad. Until we are out of the restrictions apart from the summer when frees come up at end of contract we are swimming against the tide for players 

If we’d replaced osula I would’ve been happy. Plange off the top of my head could have done that?

seems we were let down on a promise, but can’t have literally one option. That’s poor planning.

I agree is not loads about for no money or fee, but would expect better than springett.

white has been ok I guess.

totally get all the restrictions, we’re all aware of them. But so were warne and the club. Would’ve hoped for better planning as a result.

Paul Warne speaking about players for next season.

He told Derbyshire Live: concerning players who are out of contract, "For many obvious reasons, I leave that to the end. And in fairness, it also gives me the opportunity to change my mind.

"So I leave that to the end and we'll get to that when we need to get to it.

"Obviously I've got this in the back of my mind all the time. I'm not a complete idiot. And it's difficult because you don't know what plate you are spinning.

"Are you spinning a Championship plate or the League One plate? If we're in League One, do I need this? Do I need that? What do I need? What can I afford?

"It changes all the time, but you have a rough idea of players that you want relevant to what league you're in.

"If we are fortunate enough to go up, we're not going to suddenly turn into a club signing international players, which has happened here before. It will be a pretty firm base that we need to build on and making small steps to get the club back to where it wants to be, but it's got to be healthy steps. It can't be crazy. "

59 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

We were limited in January as I think the derby telegraph stayed at the time we were near the top of budget and kept it calm to be under the threshold so in the summer we had some negotiating in our favour to relax the embargo. As for getting players what did you expect us to do for pity sake. If a players agent said they wanted a fee we couldn’t sign them we also couldn’t pay any transfer fees or couldn’t pay a loan fee to a club. If teams want a loan fee why should they bend over and just let us have there player if another team was willing to pay a fee and January is bad enough as it is. Unfortunately osula got called back and we had no way to replace him and I don’t think if not under the embargo we would have signed Springett or the other lad. Until we are out of the restrictions apart from the summer when frees come up at end of contract we are swimming against the tide for players 

How did we have no way to replace him?

we had three weeks to find any striker.

wasn’t a fan of Jack Stretton but would’ve advocated keeping him if we were left with two like we have been.

I just worry any criticism of warne for the 18 months is going to be met by being told how we have restrictions. We all know about them. I’m not anti warne either, just think january was a misstep

12 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

If we’d replaced osula I would’ve been happy. Plange off the top of my head could have done that?

seems we were let down on a promise, but can’t have literally one option. That’s poor planning.

I agree is not loads about for no money or fee, but would expect better than springett.

white has been ok I guess.

totally get all the restrictions, we’re all aware of them. But so were warne and the club. Would’ve hoped for better planning as a result.

13 appearances, no goals for Lincoln.  He had a purple patch with us of 8 or 9 games and then lost interest leading up to and after his move.  Not the physical attributes for for this league and no real pace to bother the cloggers.  I agree we needed to add some pace and someone must have been available.   A chance missed

15 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Paul Warne speaking about players for next season.

He told Derbyshire Live: concerning players who are out of contract, "For many obvious reasons, I leave that to the end. And in fairness, it also gives me the opportunity to change my mind.

"So I leave that to the end and we'll get to that when we need to get to it.

"Obviously I've got this in the back of my mind all the time. I'm not a complete idiot. And it's difficult because you don't know what plate you are spinning.

"Are you spinning a Championship plate or the League One plate? If we're in League One, do I need this? Do I need that? What do I need? What can I afford?

"It changes all the time, but you have a rough idea of players that you want relevant to what league you're in.

"If we are fortunate enough to go up, we're not going to suddenly turn into a club signing international players, which has happened here before. It will be a pretty firm base that we need to build on and making small steps to get the club back to where it wants to be, but it's got to be healthy steps. It can't be crazy. "

Two reasons

A-  Clowes wouldn't have the cash, or want to, aafter shelling out the fat end of 50 million

b- I don't think Warne would feel comfortable managing that level of player if he could.  Doesn't have the old school bite you get from the Warnocks or general spiviness of the Lampard/Redknapp clan

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Two reasons

A-  Clowes wouldn't have the cash, or want to, aafter shelling out the fat end of 50 million

b- I don't think Warne would feel comfortable managing that level of player if he could.  Doesn't have the old school bite you get from the Warnocks or general spiviness of the Lampard/Redknapp clan

His quote that I posted in Bold is what some posters need to take on board, Out of the 6 that are on 1 year contracts I'm pretty sure he'll ask McGoldrick for another year, The rest thanks but I'm looking elsewhere.

Whether Championship or League1 it's going to be a steady build, No splurge on talent but baby steps towards that 5 year plan to establish us as a Championship club, When the embargo is finally put to bed...I think PW would think and think again on where the money is going on players rather than wave it goodbye on those that just want a payday 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

13 appearances, no goals for Lincoln.  He had a purple patch with us of 8 or 9 games and then lost interest leading up to and after his move.  Not the physical attributes for for this league and no real pace to bother the cloggers.  I agree we needed to add some pace and someone must have been available.   A chance missed

Was a very quick idea, but plange seemed ok last season. Did well in a struggling side. Would definitely have rather had him here than the no one we’ve had since January. No matter his record for Lincoln.

1 hour ago, Rich3478 said:

How did we have no way to replace him?

we had three weeks to find any striker.

wasn’t a fan of Jack Stretton but would’ve advocated keeping him if we were left with two like we have been.

I just worry any criticism of warne for the 18 months is going to be met by being told how we have restrictions. We all know about them. I’m not anti warne either, just think january was a misstep

Stratton isn’t first choice for Stockport 🤔

6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Stratton isn’t first choice for Stockport 🤔

I know, but genuinely would think anyone is better than the no option other than mcgoldrick or Collins we have. Didn’t rate Stretton as good enough for derby. 

stockport possibly in the same league as us next season also.

1 minute ago, Rich3478 said:

I know, but genuinely would think anyone is better than the no option other than mcgoldrick or Collins we have. Didn’t rate Stretton as good enough for derby. 

stockport possibly in the same league as us next season also.

So play a player who is no where near good enough 🤔 Make more sense to try NML, The Dobster or Barks in the second striker role….

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

So play a player who is no where near good enough 🤔 Make more sense to try NML, The Dobster or Barks in the second striker role….

My whole point is we should’ve signed a striker!!! 

after that, was just thinking that anyone is better than than the no one we got. Be it plange or Stretton. Just two obvious strikers that most of us have seen play.

personally think mcgoldrick as 9, sibley as a 10 is the way to go. But dobbin has pace to offer, Collins actually played a bit better last week too.

warne seems very rigid though in is pretty much solely Collins or mcgoldrick as his two options. We struggle to change things much due to lack of options. Hence why I was saying more options would’ve been beneficial

1 hour ago, Rich3478 said:

My whole point is we should’ve signed a striker!!! 

after that, was just thinking that anyone is better than than the no one we got. Be it plange or Stretton. Just two obvious strikers that most of us have seen play.

personally think mcgoldrick as 9, sibley as a 10 is the way to go. But dobbin has pace to offer, Collins actually played a bit better last week too.

warne seems very rigid though in is pretty much solely Collins or mcgoldrick as his two options. We struggle to change things much due to lack of options. Hence why I was saying more options would’ve been beneficial

My point was Stretton wasn’t the answer either way 👍