Standard of League One Football

SamUltraRam

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The speed at which teams try to play is much slower. I’ve barely seen a chance created in the three games (for either side) by a passing move.

Most of the chances have come from either set-pieces, a counter where the opposition have left oceans of space in wide areas (think Charlton’s goal against us and our second against Barnsley) and a turnover high up the field (like our winner against Oxford).

I think the way we play we won’t be seeing a lot of high-scoring games.

The last two games could have been 4-3 with better finishing. That is the biggest dip in quality because goalscorers cost money 

5 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

I think there's a clear drop off in standard.

The amount of time and space afforded to players on the ball is the most noticeable to me, but the number of unforced errors (particularly by defenders) and the speed of the games also stand out.

Sunday League teams play passing football these days, so not sure it's all that surprising that the same happens in the third tier.

Have to agree, a lot of the goals are coming from unforced errors. That’s why it is important to keep putting in dangerous crosses. O.G. Could end up our top scorer.

3 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I think its so important that when under pressure we dont just boot it away. We really need to keep posession as much as possible. Thats the difference between good and average players though.

I agree, but some times you need a longer out ball with willing runners (Knight) to close the defenders down. The heat made that impossible on Saturday and we are not fit enough at the moment

Form is temporary, class is permanent. We are a Championship quality team playing in League 1. We didn’t get relegated based on performance throughout the season but because of the penalty points deducted. We have Championship quality players playing in League 1 who’s class will shine through over time. I expect us to dominate this league over 46 games. I hope I’m right!!! ???

I think that the standard is slightly lower in what I have seen so far, just purely in mistakes and spurned chances - but fine margins and all of that…

I think the biggest difference hasn’t been the standard of play per se.  The Refs and officials have been dire IMHO, definitely a major step down.  This leads to players being more physical and getting away with things that make the play uglier than would it would otherwise be with better officials.

Let's not forget, 4 weeks ago we only had 5 players. I believe, the more we play and train throughout this season, the better we will get. Liam has got hold of some quality players in the 13 he has brought in so far. I hope we do find another right back, because Knight would have a field day in this division playing in midfield.

8 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Let's not forget, 4 weeks ago we only had 5 players. I believe, the more we play and train throughout this season, the better we will get. Liam has got hold of some quality players in the 13 he has brought in so far. I hope we do find another right back, because Knight would have a field day in this division playing in midfield.

Just watched Trent A Arnold play right back for Liverpool v Palace. You can do a hell of a lot of damage from there if you put the effort in. Jason seems to be coasting at the moment . Very rarely overlapping M -Lang. Is he looking for a move?

2 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Just watched Trent A Arnold play right back for Liverpool v Palace. You can do a hell of a lot of damage from there if you put the effort in. Jason seems to be coasting at the moment . Very rarely overlapping M -Lang. Is he looking for a move?

TAA, one of the worlds finest full backs, in one of the world's best teams, and you're comparing the contribution of an out of position Jason Knight as a comparator? 

Bizarre, to say the least.

Even though there has been a clear shift in football ideology in the Championship in the last few years it always felt like things got a bit more industrial from December to February. The run in is often fraught with nerves and fatigue where the drama increases but the overall quality drops. I’m expecting an amplified version of this in L1, with the first few weeks having been played with sunshine and smiles but I suspect when get into the heart of the season there will shithousing a plenty amongst the muck and bullets

25 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

Even though there has been a clear shift in football ideology in the Championship in the last few years it always felt like things got a bit more industrial from December to February. The run in is often fraught with nerves and fatigue where the drama increases but the overall quality drops. I’m expecting an amplified version of this in L1, with the first few weeks having been played with sunshine and smiles but I suspect when get into the heart of the season there will shithousing a plenty amongst the muck and bullets

I was going to make this point. I'll reserve judgment on the quality of football come a wet Tuesday night in February away to a gritty Northern team scrapping for survival. I doubt we'll be seeing total football from either side at that point and we will really need to dig in and grind out results. 

10 hours ago, Rev said:

TAA, one of the worlds finest full backs, in one of the world's best teams, and you're comparing the contribution of an out of position Jason Knight as a comparator? 

Bizarre, to say the least.

Sorry, let’s take it down a few notches. How many crosses did Byrne get in per game? How many times did he overlap and underlap? Still say Knight is coasting if he is International quality.

11 hours ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

watch any highlights show on any weekend and the quality of goals scored get worse as u drop the divisions

Surely that’s stating the obvious and what you’d expect? I don’t think the difference between the Championship and L1 is massive but as you go up the divisions your bound to have better goal scorers and fewer opportunities for soft goals due to better defending and fewer errors at the back.

On 15/08/2022 at 09:12, SamUltraRam said:

After 3 games I've been pleasantly surprised by the style of play from our opponents so far. - very similar to the Championship

Decent footballing sides and not the expected sh1thousery that I'd heard about - and no constant long balls, long throws or time wasting.

However, this week we play against a Steve Cotterill side & a Scott Brown side - so my opinion may have changed by Saturday night

Funny cus I thought that's exactly what Barnsley were doing on Saturday.  Admittedly it wasn't Graham Taylor's Watford levels of hoof but I couldn't watch that each week.  And if Norwood was anywhere near as interested in playing as a proper No 9 instead of barrelling into his markers and generally being a fat lump, he may of caused us some problems.  I thought Oxford were a better side...