No more classified results on Radio 5 Live

IslandExile

The "light programme" is dropping one of the highlights of a Saturday afternoon - no more racing back to the car to catch the results in this digital age of the Interweb:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62397375

Is it the advent of the www or is it yet another sign that the media are only interested in the Premier League?

They act as though the Premier League was the start of football; to me, it's the end.

A bit of both. "no one cares about not prem football and everyone can get the results on their phone anyway"

I'll be honest, I rarely listen to 5 live on a Saturday afternoon these days unless I happen to be in the car for whatever reason. But it does just seem like another little tradition falls away because of the focus on pre-scripted drama based on who has the biggest budgets...

14 hours ago, GenBr said:

I didn't even know what classified results meant. Why bother waiting for it to be announced on the radio when you can look at the scores any time you want on your phone. Its just dead air on the radio - may as well get rid.

You could argue the same about music, news, weather, traffic reports etc...

May as well just shut it all down, yeah?

6 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

You could argue the same about music, news, weather, traffic reports etc...

May as well just shut it all down, yeah?

Yeah if you want. I fully agree that radio is a waste of time for news, music, weather and traffic reports in the modern world. 

Your phone can do all of that even when you are driving. The only thing radio is useful for is football commentary and that is it.

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Yeah if you want.

Ahh.  Dunna get mardy.  We're just chattin'!  ?

Agree with the rest though, to be fair.  I have car radio on, but so low I literally can't hear it!
But I'm not an "everyday fan" of music, chit-chat, news, blogs, talky books, or even those "on-line series things" whose name escapes me? ?‍♂️
More than happy to pootle along talking to myself!

The only times I turn the volume up is Rams away game commo if I'm alone, and pop master if Muckerette is with me!  Both usually end up with me feeling depressed, after yet another defeat!  ?

Muckerette will have the radio on all day from when she starts work (from home), usually until about 5 minutes after I walk in!  ?

22 hours ago, GenBr said:

I didn't even know what classified results meant. Why bother waiting for it to be announced on the radio when you can look at the scores any time you want on your phone. Its just dead air on the radio - may as well get rid.

It’s an easy way to check how your local teams are doing without having to scroll or remember to type it into your phone. Same with leagues such as the SPL etc.

It maybe just maybe is one of the few things that makes you remember that the Prem Clubs are just football teams like they are in the national league and below. It’s one of the only things where everyone is on the same pedestal 

Can't say I listen to any kind of football content on the radio outside the odd Sport Scene on Radio Derby.

Not even last night when the game wasn't shown anywhere did I think to listen to the radio. It was an ok, can't watch that moment and that was that.

With the internet, online music steaming services and connectivity, I have no real need for it.

They could announce the closure of all radio stations tomorrow and I honestly wouldn't be the slightest bit bothered.

Times change, just like local newspapers, things become outdated and rather than try to cling on for the nostalgia, time to close the chapter

On 08/08/2022 at 10:09, GenBr said:

Yes because the blind and the old who have not got access to a readable phone/iPad/pc don’t count as part of society do they, why should they have access to football scores on their radios.
The BBC have lost the plot yet again.

As someone in the comments states, 'Nostalgia is the enemy of progress'. 

As someone that worked in IT, keeps his computer up-to-date and loves all things modern, I've never really used a mobile phone.  My wife bought me one a couple of years ago and it resides mainly in my office desk ? 

Driving back from PP listening to the scores from around the country is something that has always been there, its a part of a traditional Saturday afternoon at the football.  Sad to see it go.  Still not taking my phone to the match!

On 09/08/2022 at 12:52, GenBr said:

Yeah if you want. I fully agree that radio is a waste of time for news, music, weather and traffic reports in the modern world. 

Your phone can do all of that even when you are driving. The only thing radio is useful for is football commentary and that is it.

Begin the day with a friendly voice
A companion unobtrusive

18 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'm still livid they've took them boards away from the side of the pitch which coded the games with a letter identifier..... 

"blimey, match H is 3-2 at half time. Must be some game, that" ?

Didn't you have to buy or borrow a programme to know which matches the letters corresponded with?

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Didn't you have to buy or borrow a programme to know which matches the letters corresponded with?

That's the Badger! 

Only made sense if you'd got a Ram. 

You couldn't even always guess from memory of the fixtures in alphabetical order cos they'd often throw a couple of random ones in. 

Good way to flog a few more programs ?

6 hours ago, Charlotte Ram said:

Yes because the blind and the old who have not got access to a readable phone/iPad/pc don’t count as part of society do they, why should they have access to football scores on their radios.
The BBC have lost the plot yet again.

If the old don't want to use an internet enabled device that is entirely their problem. There is no reason why the rest of society should be held back.

Even the small minority of blind football fans can still use devices to have the scores read to them. 

Sorry to upset you, but much like cash radio is a relic of the past and is no longer necessary.

I remember Sunderland away - possibly 1991? First game of the season - Comyn and Coleman’s debut - where we all got locked in afterwards, standing in a holding pen in the pissing rain, to allow the Sunderland fans to disperse. It went on and on until 5 o’clock when the whole Derby contingent started singing the theme tune to the sports results programme - der der der der der de der der etc etc. happy days - got coined in the head and jumped after the game. In conclusion, they need to keep it. Far better tradition than getting coked up, throwing beer around and falling asleep as the game starts if you ask me. Classified results are part of the tradition. Far better than zombies on their phones. As for radio generally - couldn’t live without radio 6 introducing me to some great new music.