No more classified results on Radio 5 Live

IslandExile

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

If the old don't want to use an internet enabled device that is entirely their problem. There is no reason why the rest of society should be held back.

Even the small minority of blind football fans can still use devices to have the scores read to them. 

Sorry to upset you, but much like cash radio is a relic of the past and is no longer necessary.

I am pleased that the only thing holding society back is the football results being read out on national radio at 5.00pm, I thought it was the idleness of the modern generation who expect everything handed to them on a plate with no work involved, I assume also that you do not plan on getting old and having any kind of disability, good for you!

Finally what is a "cash radio" I have used the google machine but cannot find any reference too one.

Have a nice day.

19 hours ago, David said:

Can't say I listen to any kind of football content on the radio outside the odd Sport Scene on Radio Derby.

Not even last night when the game wasn't shown anywhere did I think to listen to the radio. It was an ok, can't watch that moment and that was that.

With the internet, online music steaming services and connectivity, I have no real need for it.

They could announce the closure of all radio stations tomorrow and I honestly wouldn't be the slightest bit bothered.

Times change, just like local newspapers, things become outdated and rather than try to cling on for the nostalgia, time to close the chapter

The radio is a valuable resource for people who have little company, particularly in the evenings or in care homes.  This shovel everything in the bin as it's just nostalgic drives me mad.  Perhaps everyone over 40-50 should be recycled like in Logans Run.   

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The radio is a valuable resource for people who have little company, particularly in the evenings or in care homes.  This shovel everything in the bin as it's just nostalgic drives me mad.  Perhaps everyone over 40-50 should be recycled like in Logans Run.   

I'm 40 myself. Used to record the top 40 on a Sunday pausing it after each song. 

Not someone that hasn't grown up with radio services, I just find them more dated.

As for care homes, the ones I have seen have televisions now which are far more interactive with vast amount of content that can be consumed.

There is a reason why the BBC are looking to cut services and merge channels, the listener base just isn't at the same levels anymore.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/two-bbcs-flagship-radio-stations-27656329

11 minutes ago, David said:

I'm 40 myself. Used to record the top 40 on a Sunday pausing it after each song. 

Not someone that hasn't grown up with radio services, I just find them more dated.

As for care homes, the ones I have seen have televisions now which are far more interactive with vast amount of content that can be consumed.

There is a reason why the BBC are looking to cut services and merge channels, the listener base just isn't at the same levels anymore.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/two-bbcs-flagship-radio-stations-27656329

If someone has slow onset dementia, has never touched a computer or used the complexity of a phone enjoying the huge amount of data and copious remotes to go with it is irrelevant. My grandma was set up with all singing, all dancing TV.  She put's on Radio Derby and watches The Chase.  There will be something far more comforting clicking a button to put on a radio in the comfort of their room than getting frustrated with surround sound, hundreds of channels etc .  Vinyl was outdated, Now people can't get enough.  A radio service, like public libraries, is fundamental to any educated society that cares without the oversaturation of subject you get online or interactive and more important provides access via another route to all. 

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If someone has slow onset dementia, has never touched a computer or used the complexity of a phone enjoying the huge amount of data and copious remotes to go with it is irrelevant. My grandma was set up with all singing, all dancing TV.  She put's on Radio Derby and watches The Chase.  There will be something far more comforting clicking a button to put on a radio in the comfort of their room than getting frustrated with surround sound, hundreds of channels etc .  Vinyl was outdated, Now people can't get enough.  A radio service, like public libraries, is fundamental to any educated society that cares without the oversaturation of subject you get online or interactive and more important provides access via another route to all. 

There are obviously use cases that remain where Radio is key part of their entertainment. It's just the numbers decrease year on year.

For what it's worth, despite my personal views on radio, it's unlikely to be pulled anytime soon, they pushed the switch to digital back another 10 years keeping the FM and AM signal alive.

I do think we'll see less radio shows and it move to more music on loop, cutting costs outside the main shows with podcasts becoming increasingly popular.

There has already been rumours of football commentary services being axed in favour of a more Soccer Saturday style coverage.

In the next 30 years I predict it will largely be obsolete.

2 hours ago, David said:

The reason that the BBC are doing it is because they are continuing their strategy of trying to appeal to younger people - younger than you @David and certainly younger than me who they are not bothered about in any way. They believe that they have to attract a young audience at all costs. The fact that I, in my mid 60s and with a history and habit of listening to the radio all day every day, might like the concept of Sports Report, the classic signature tune and someone reading the classified football results from all 6 leagues in England and Scotland is anathema to the modern BBC. It’s why Radio 5 is like it is - full of young people with no experience, with their nicknames and in jokes, largely incapable of stringing two sentences together never mind analysing a football match, and a fixation on the PL as being all that football is about. It’s why I’ve largely stopped listening, not that they care, to anything that the radio station produces and why I’ve long since stopped watching BBC tv.

There was a time when I would have gone to the barricades to defend a free to air public broadcaster like the BBC. Not any more. 

I always assumed  "classified" meant read out by division rather than the random ticker tape version as results come in.

Personally I haven't listened for years because RD are normally berating the Ref at that time as we fight the traffic home.

I see LBC are to present the results now. Not ever tried to listen to them but assume they are national at least on DAB.

On 11/08/2022 at 11:40, Charlotte Ram said:

Yes because the blind and the old who have not got access to a readable phone/iPad/pc don’t count as part of society do they, why should they have access to football scores on their radios.
The BBC have lost the plot yet again.

This excuse always annoys me. I used to work in social care, and it is so hard to convince people that the technology exists, and is accessible and available, to enable disabled people and people with sensory impairments to do pretty much anything. 

Sometimes those with disabilities just have to accept that there are certain things they may not be able to do anymore, or they have to adapt. Society can and should adapt to a certain extent, but it shouldn’t be asked to adapt unreasonably for a minority, when other options exist. People are often too pig headed to explore the other options.

I’ve seen paraplegics sailing round the internet with nothing but a white dot on his glasses. I’ve seen 100% blind people running their own websites and sailing boats. I used to work for a project specifically kitting people out and training then how to use tech to enable them to live independently and access the information and services they want. Older people, disabled people, people with learning disabilities.

it’s all out there. It’s all available. People just need to open themselves up to the possibilities a bit more.

I dare say there’s not a person on the planet who couldn’t get access to the classified results if they really wanted to. But I bet there’s plenty who will sit there and moan that they can’t.

50 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

This excuse always annoys me. I used to work in social care, and it is so hard to convince people that the technology exists, and is accessible and available, to enable disabled people and people with sensory impairments to do pretty much anything. 

Sometimes those with disabilities just have to accept that there are certain things they may not be able to do anymore, or they have to adapt. Society can and should adapt to a certain extent, but it shouldn’t be asked to adapt unreasonably for a minority, when other options exist. People are often too pig headed to explore the other options.

I’ve seen paraplegics sailing round the internet with nothing but a white dot on his glasses. I’ve seen 100% blind people running their own websites and sailing boats. I used to work for a project specifically kitting people out and training then how to use tech to enable them to live independently and access the information and services they want. Older people, disabled people, people with learning disabilities.

it’s all out there. It’s all available. People just need to open themselves up to the possibilities a bit more.

I dare say there’s not a person on the planet who couldn’t get access to the classified results if they really wanted to. But I bet there’s plenty who will sit there and moan that they can’t.

That is true and I get your point, but you can’t do any of those things (Running a website and sailing a boat) with a £5 radio.  Many things are available, but for various reasons including cost it doesn’t make them accessible.  They are two different things.

That isn’t the main point of what I would like to say on the matter.  One thing I love about it is the equal status of all of the clubs, when they are read out with equal billing, it’s not  just 100% PL.

However it would be churlish of me not to point out that it is a very nostalgic for me, so I’m sorry to see it go, it has always been part of Saturday afternoons for me, especially as a kid watching my grandad (in complete silence obviously!) checking his pools coupon.  I. Suppose that the decline of the pools didn’t help.   On that note I will leave you with the thoughts on Ron Manager on the subject… ?

Paul Whitehouse, as 'The Manager' is absolutely spot on. That small clip summed up football of many a year gone by, especially when he mentioned the BBC World Service.

In the 1980's, way before the internet and satellite TV, I spent a good deal of my working life in Saudi Arabia, and one of the things a group of us did, especially if we were on the afternoon or night shift, was to listen to whatever game they were broadcasting from, and they were only allowed to begin the commentary to the world after half-time.

That was followed by the football results and round-up, and although we sometimes missed a couple of the results, due to the static on the airwaves, it was a good to listen to, and have a conversation, and sometimes arguments, afterwards.

This is how we learnt about the Hillsborough disaster in 1989, from the BBC World Service Radio.