Knight at RB

WamRam

Apologies if there’s already a Knight thread, feel free to merge it. 

Thought he looked quality at RB yesterday. He was shoehorned wide right a lot last season and I felt for him because he struggled in a pretty unnatural position. I don’t mind him in the middle of the park but he can sometimes lack the composure and ball quality we seem to prefer in the middle. 

He could be a similar story to Matty Cash at Forest. He struggled to keep down a spot in midfield over there and his tenacity, work rate and aggression just seemed to suit him at full back. He can get up and down all day, which Knight can easily do. He linked up really well with NML in the first half. One-twos, overlaps and a few decent balls in. 

If he does stay I would be happy to see him play there a lot more, whether he will be though, may be a different matter. 

35 minutes ago, WamRam said:

Apologies if there’s already a Knight thread, feel free to merge it. 

Thought he looked quality at RB yesterday. He was shoehorned wide right a lot last season and I felt for him because he struggled in a pretty unnatural position. I don’t mind him in the middle of the park but he can sometimes lack the composure and ball quality we seem to prefer in the middle. 

He could be a similar story to Matty Cash at Forest. He struggled to keep down a spot in midfield over there and his tenacity, work rate and aggression just seemed to suit him at full back. He can get up and down all day, which Knight can easily do. He linked up really well with NML in the first half. One-twos, overlaps and a few decent balls in. 

If he does stay I would be happy to see him play there a lot more, whether he will be though, may be a different matter. 

I agree entirely with this. He is by nature a midfielder but if he has to be shoe horned into the side in a wide position then right back is the one for me on yesterdays performance. 

He is definitely wasted in one of the further forward wide berths. When he has played there in the past he tends to drift in and out of the game, a bit like Barkhuizen yesterday. It's a waste of his best assets which are tenacity and industrious energy. 

He can play right back very well but in terms of contributing to the team he would provide much more in centre mid.

As a box to box midfielder he will run all game, he has an eye for goal and he can break up play. Pretty sure he was MOM in the last game for his country.

Good in a two or in a three, I would play him as the runner between DM and AM. A midfield three of Bird, Knight & Hourihane would be excellent in L1 imo.

6 minutes ago, chadlad said:

He can play right back very well but in terms of contributing to the team he would provide much more in centre mid.

As a box to box midfielder he will run all game, he has an eye for goal and he can break up play. Pretty sure he was MOM in the last game for his country.

Good in a two or in a three, I would play him as the runner between DM and AM. A midfield three of Bird, Knight & Hourihane would be excellent in L1 imo.

Agree totally! Told smith can cover right back too, swap them over next game if we don’t have a right back in by then.

Knight is an all round, energetic, box to box spark for the central areas. Pressurising the midfield and igniting attacking transitions. Even though he did well at right back, it doesn't utilise his strengths. We need a Byrne, Bogle, Cyrus Christie style of right back imo that is good with the ball to feet, pace to burn, loves to overlap.  It gives us that extra yard to get in behind quickly and feed our strikers/edge of the box midfielders. 

Pacey right back please ?

30 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

We need Knight in midfield. Simple as that.

I though strongly suspect he’ll be gone soon although I perish the thought. He’s just too good and should be playing premiership football. £8 million and not a penny less.

You only have to look at Alexander-Arnold to see how to influence a game from RB. He may not play many games there but could use the time to perfect his crossing.

Rosenior was really happy with him but post match didn't seem to consider it a long-term solution. Hope he can find a spot for him in the midfield (even as a rotation option) because his energy could be very important. We still look a tad sluggish at times.

Thought he’d be wasted at right back but first 15 mins especially he did a great job of getting involved in attack with NML and his tracking back at pace saved a certain goal when otherwise clean through.

He’s a great player but there’s still a question mark about where he’s best; in the middle he’s very busy, wins lots of fouls but, despite having a decent shot on him, seems there’s still a bit of a question mark over his creative effectiveness. Long story short, this might actually be a good fit for him, depending on what the rest of the team looks like.

Just now, Sparkle said:

Just shows what a good player he is - we need to extend his contact if that’s possible 

Guess there would be no issue doing so if the extension is 2 years and wage no more than £12k. Second part probably difficult for him. 

2 hours ago, Rich3478 said:

Agree totally! Told smith can cover right back too, swap them over next game if we don’t have a right back in by then.

There's a reason Knight is playing right back instead of Smith. The latter joined late and isn't up to full fitness yet, hence his substitution on 60 minutes. 

Knight might be 'wasted' at full back, but he is probably our fittest and most canny player.

Some people saying he played better in first half than second, but I sit in West Stand and thought he had a great second half too. He linked well with Mendez Laing, Sibley and started finding Bird too  once his marker tired.

Knight was my MOM yesterday.

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

It’s going to be very interesting once everyone is fit, especially with McGoldrick and Chester back, in terms of what our best starting 1X will be. Some very decent players will find themselves on the bench. Nice problem for LR to have.

What's happened with McGoldrick is it just match fitness?