Matchday Thread: 19/7/22Stevenage (a) 19:30ko.

ollycutts1982

Not fluid so far tonight (no pun intended), too many sloppy passes and too much space between lines. Stevenage doing well tbf. This is a very useful workout though and good practice for much of what we'll face in L1. 

3 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Pre-season match day threads make me pee myself. So much analysis going on of players, formations and guesswork about it all translates into the season.  It’s the hottest day ever, we still haven’t got a full squad, there are players missing.  It’s a run out for fitness and to try a few things.  Could get tonked 10-0 and it would mean absolutely f-all.

Just enjoy a game of footy on a beautiful summer evening. 

Fair one!

Shows to me that Hourihane is not a deep midfielder, he needs to be further up with smith/bird/bielik covering for him. Sibley on the wing is a waste (we all knew it). Collins isn’t really getting much service. We definitely need a good 5-7 more new faces in the squad but other than that it’s a good run around for them in pre season and an experiment that hasn’t worked quite to plan 

1 minute ago, Rich3478 said:

Was more commenting on putting a squad together from scratch, by all accounts Saturday was good so hopefully tonight just a blip.

I know but my point is Stevenage have also put a new squad together but look far more fluid than we do. No need to panic though. It’s only a friendly. 

4 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Shows to me that Hourihane is not a deep midfielder, he needs to be further up with smith/bird/bielik covering for him. Sibley on the wing is a waste (we all knew it). Collins isn’t really getting much service. We definitely need a good 5-7 more new faces in the squad but other than that it’s a good run around for them in pre season and an experiment that hasn’t worked quite to plan 

He was the deep lying midfielder for Aston Villa in their promotion season

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I know but my point is Stevenage have also put a new squad together but look far more fluid than we do. No need to panic though. It’s only a friendly. 

Apparently played several more friendlies than us, according to Owen Bradley.

We are going to be a bit under-cooked early season due to all our off-field issues.

11 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Pre-season match day threads make me pee myself. So much analysis going on of players, formations and guesswork about it all translates into the season.  It’s the hottest day ever, we still haven’t got a full squad, there are players missing.  It’s a run out for fitness and to try a few things.  Could get tonked 10-0 and it would mean absolutely f-all.

Just enjoy a game of footy on a beautiful summer evening. 

You do know reading this thread is optional don’t you if it pees you off?

This will be a great workout. Much more akin to the kind of football we'll be facing in League One. We'll need to work out how to grind out wins at places like this. Let's see if we can make the adjustments in the second half. 

Thompson is looking a bit light weight so far. We miss Bird and Bielik when they aren't sitting deep. 

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

You do know reading this thread is optional don’t you if it pees you off?

Where did I say it pees me off? 

In any event, amongst all the dross, there might also be something worth reading.