Women's Euro 2022

First off, you get around 80 minutes of football to watch. The throw-ins get taken from where the ball went out, and quickly. No five minute wait for the towel to come out for the monotonous long throw and no appealing for it when the player knew they had kicked it out. Same happens with corners, they admit it was off them last. Corners, no shoving, pulling shirts, waiting for the ref to intervene and another minute wasted for a pointless, unpunished ticking off. 

The manliness the women players show when they get fouled is a delight to see, give it a rub, get up and run it off. Rarely does the trainer need to be involved. Jack Grealish take note on that point, it was not a leg breaker, it was tickle, man up next season.

Then the crowd, how involved they were at both games I've been to, no swearing, and certainly no 'f*** the EFL' throughout the whole match bellowing in my ear. It's lovely that a whole family can attend and feel comfortable, and everyone sat down in their seat, there was no need to stand up the whole game as happens at just about every game now.

Then the officials. The authorities considered females were good enough to run the game, and what a delightful job they do. No back chat going on, no tellings off. If they are good enough for this tournament then they are desperately needed to officiate in the men's game, full of substandard officials for 30 years now.

This should be the template for the future of football. I hope it is, that a club is brave enough to want this, ask players and supporters to behave in a similar way instead of feeling obliged to copy what others do.

8 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

First off, you get around 80 minutes of football to watch. The throw-ins get taken from where the ball went out, and quickly. No five minute wait for the towel to come out for the monotonous long throw and no appealing for it when the player knew they had kicked it out. Same happens with corners, they admit it was off them last. Corners, no shoving, pulling shirts, waiting for the ref to intervene and another minute wasted for a pointless, unpunished ticking off. 

The manliness the women players show when they get fouled is a delight to see, give it a rub, get up and run it off. Rarely does the trainer need to be involved. Jack Grealish take note on that point, it was not a leg breaker, it was tickle, man up next season.

Then the crowd, how involved they were at both games I've been to, no swearing, and certainly no 'f*** the EFL' throughout the whole match bellowing in my ear. It's lovely that a whole family can attend and feel comfortable, and everyone sat down in their seat, there was no need to stand up the whole game as happens at just about every game now.

Then the officials. The authorities considered females were good enough to run the game, and what a delightful job they do. No back chat going on, no tellings off. If they are good enough for this tournament then they are desperately needed to officiate in the men's game, full of substandard officials for 30 years now.

This should be the template for the future of football. I hope it is, that a club is brave enough to want this, ask players and supporters to behave in a similar way instead of feeling obliged to copy what others do.

Agree with everything you say, and over 9 million views according to tv, so everything okay until Sky become involved with the money and they will and the ladies game will be destroyed like the PL, so must enjoy the ladies game whilst we can.

1 hour ago, Macintosh said:

I agree with a lot of what you say but I do feel the reason why the women aren’t rolling around on the floor is simply because they haven’t had to endure tackles with any great force.

Men are naturally more athletic. They are much stronger, quicker, aggressive and forceful. Don’t get me wrong some players roll around on the floor from barely a scratch. But the reason why the men’s game has more injuries (and injury stoppages) is the same reason why men’s boxing has more knockouts.

Women’s football definitely has a more family feel. The crowd aren’t aggressive. You can hear during the goal celebrations where it’s a ‘roar’ and often overzealous behavior during men’s football while in the women’s game you can hear it’s more of an excited squeal. It’s great families can feel safer.

As for the officials. I think again it has a family type culture. Way more respect.

2 hours ago, SirBrian said:

Agree with everything you say, and over 9 million views according to tv, so everything okay until Sky become involved with the money and they will and the ladies game will be destroyed like the PL, so must enjoy the ladies game whilst we can.

That’s the problem. It’s the money. I think when there’s so much money riding on the result, not just pride, people are prepared to do pretty much anything to win. When there is literally millions and millions of pounds on the line, you’d roll around a bit, or dice for a penalty. That’s why I don’t think you see it as much in womens football and other sports where there isn’t as money, like rugby. 

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I agree with a lot of what you say but I do feel the reason why the women aren’t rolling around on the floor is simply because they haven’t had to endure tackles with any great force.

Men are naturally more athletic. They are much stronger, quicker, aggressive and forceful. Don’t get me wrong some players roll around on the floor from barely a scratch. But the reason why the men’s game has more injuries (and injury stoppages) is the same reason why men’s boxing has more knockouts.

Women’s football definitely has a more family feel. The crowd aren’t aggressive. You can hear during the goal celebrations where it’s a ‘roar’ and often overzealous behavior during men’s football while in the women’s game you can hear it’s more of an excited squeal. It’s great families can feel safer.

As for the officials. I think again it has a family type culture. Way more respect.

Did you get paid at your last job?

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not sure why people are objecting over this.

If we’re looking at why their are more injury stoppages in men’s football than women’s football, it’s obvious isn’t it?

Men’s football is naturally more impactful. Men have stronger muscle fibers than women, and skeletal muscles are both faster and with higher maximum power.

Men can run faster, kick harder, with more force and impact. This is simple facts. 

I’m not saying women don’t play football in an aggressive manner or tackle strongly, but the potential for damage is less than the men’s game. That’s logical.

So in terms of impact injuries/stoppages, they are more likely in the men’s game.

Feigning injuries is a different debate and there is a strong argument to be had that men feign injuries more.

It will be interesting whether the feigning injury, backchat to officials and general nastiness of the men’s game creeps into the women’s game the more competitive and financially lucrative it becomes. 

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

There are some pretty aggressive players in this competition. Don’t think Tom Lawrence would have been scoring Popp’s second goal last night, nor Lee Buchanan - they’d have been worried about bumping their heads. But of course you’re right that there is less of the Roy Keane type of psycho-aggression. 

you don’t mention ‘simulation’ (cheating) in this post. The refereeing in these euros indicates that the authorities will go to some lengths to keep it out of the women’s game.  Interestingly, there is a different approach in the women’s World Cup , where some of the S American teams in particular behave just like the men and largely get away with it. Will be interesting to see how that develops 

Half the time men don't even hold the right body part that's "injured" at first. 

Anyone see the potential ankle breaker in the England game the other day?

Straight over the top of the ball and down on the ankle. Nobody surrounded the ref, no dramatic scream, no 10 man "brawl".

She just got up, accepted the free kick and apology, rubbed her ankle and jogged on. 

There is no excuse for the men. They're fecking pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. There's more injuries in football than Rugby, Hockey(it's full of little sore welts) and anything else. Imagine a combat sport where one guy keeps appealing to the ref feigning low blows and illegal elbows every two minutes. 

I've no doubt the women's game will get there when there's more money and greed in the game. But right now they're playing for fun and you can tell. 

Edited by Alpha

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not sure why people are objecting over this.

If we’re looking at why their are more injury stoppages in men’s football than women’s football, it’s obvious isn’t it?

Men’s football is naturally more impactful. Men have stronger muscle fibers than women, and skeletal muscles are both faster and with higher maximum power.

Men can run faster, kick harder, with more force and impact. This is simple facts. 

I’m not saying women don’t play football in an aggressive manner or tackle strongly, but the potential for damage is less than the men’s game. That’s logical.

So in terms of impact injuries/stoppages, they are more likely in the men’s game.

Feigning injuries is a different debate and there is a strong argument to be had that men feign injuries more.

It will be interesting whether the feigning injury, backchat to officials and general nastiness of the men’s game creeps into the women’s game the more competitive and financially lucrative it becomes. 

Shouldn't the men's physiology make them more resistant to the kind of impact injuries you're talking about, or are we all glass cannons?

You raise it here, but for me the big problem with your initial argument was you failed to address the simulation that is virulent in the men's game. How many "injury" stoppages actually result in a player being subbed off with a genuine problem?

email on my EUFA ticket app.

Congratulations, England!

Limited tickets for the Final will become available at 10am BST today (Wednesday 27 July).

As a supporter of England, you have priority access to purchase tickets on a first come, first served basis. Adult tickets available from £15 and tickets for aged 16 & under from £7.50. 

Click the link below and use ENGFINAL22 in the ‘access code’ box to access tickets.

Tickets are expected to go extremely quickly.

………….gave mine up!

Edited by Old Spalding Ram

3 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

email on my EUFA ticket app.

Congratulations, England!

Limited tickets for the Final will become available at 10am BST today (Wednesday 27 July).

As a supporter of England, you have priority access to purchase tickets on a first come, first served basis. Adult tickets available from £15 and tickets for aged 16 & under from £7.50. 

Click the link below and use ENGFINAL22 in the ‘access code’ box to access tickets.

Tickets are expected to go extremely quickly.

………….gave mine up!

Wow, those tickets are super cheap. Again, this is what the mens game should be about. Less greed = less money = a more sporting / better spectacle = more fans = more money. 

I know it’s imposible to put the genie back in the bottom, but money really is the root of all evil in football. 

how do you fix it at this stage?

my solution would be to mandate that all football clubs be classified as community charities, and ran as such. Not for profit, any profit goes towards community projects, and all wages are scrutinised. Imagine if the consequence of your football club doing well was that your town got a new library, rather than some Saudi prince getting a bit richer.