Women's Euro 2022

9 hours ago, Sinistra ram rousse said:

You may laugh cstand but as a woman I find this totally wrong and it makes me very angry The highest paid woman footballer gets £400,000 a year. 

Why does it make you angry?

The mens game makes hundreds of millions of pounds every year and is one of the most watched sports in the world.

If the womens game gets to the same level then they can be paid the same amount. Attendances, viewership and hence sponsorship for most womens games are well below the male equivalent fir most games.

Pay isnt based just on gender in any job. Its a very simplistic way of looking at it - there are many factors that come into it. In my job i would get paid far more if i worked as a consultant than if i was working for some piddly little loval business.

It took the mens game 150+ years to get to its current position and whilst the womens sides have made significant progress it will still take time.

9 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Making the #2 ranked team in the world look bang average here! Amazing performance from the Lionesses. 

I think they managed that themselves with a level of goalkeeping that would put the national league to shame. 

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

Why does it make you angry?

The mens game makes hundreds of millions of pounds every year and is one of the most watched sports in the world.

If the womens game gets to the same level then they can be paid the same amount. Attendances, viewership and hence sponsorship for most womens games are well below the male equivalent fir most games.

Pay isnt based just on gender in any job. Its a very simplistic way of looking at it - there are many factors that come into it. In my job i would get paid far more if i worked as a consultant than if i was working for some piddly little loval business.

It took the mens game 150+ years to get to its current position and whilst the womens sides have made significant progress it will still take time.

I take it you are not a woman then? 

17 minutes ago, Sinistra ram rousse said:

Why would the gender of person making the argument matter? Is the assertion that sports people (entertainers) pay is usually commensurate with the amount of revenue they generate true or not?

I thought it was a very impressive performance last night. England really made what looked a tough game on paper seem like a cakewalk. I'm not sure who I'd prefer to play in the final. France are the stronger team, but the prospect of Germany in a knock out tournament is always a scary one.

23 minutes ago, Sinistra ram rousse said:

If the women were paid as much as the men, the womens game would be bankrupt, there just isn’t that much money in it, yet. 

there may well be in the future. Women have whatever the opposite of a head start is, that is unfair, historically, it has all been unfair. But it is getting better, and the gap is closing. But it all depends on what people are prepared to pay to watch. 

it is disgusting how much the men get paid. Maybe someone the money from the mens game should be filtered into the womens game. I believe that happens to a certain extent, but maybe not enough. Or maybe the womens game should stand on its own two feet. If it needs to be subsidised to be sustainable, then it’s not sustainable. 

If women had not been banned by the FA in 1921 we would possibly not be in this situation now. I think A Woman's Game by Suzanne Wrack explains much more eloquently than I how much women have been historically held back. Yes hopefully things will improve but I still think when a woman earns in a year what a man can earn in a week is wrong. However we are moving into the realms of politics so I will post no more on this subject other than to say Come on England!

Edited by Sinistra ram rousse
Spelling

6 minutes ago, Sinistra ram rousse said:

If women had not been banned by the FA in 1921 we would possibly not be in this situation now. I think A Woman's Game by Susan Wrack explains much more eloquently than I how much women have been historically held back. Yes hopefully things will improve but I still think when a woman earns in a year what a man can earn in a week is wrong. However we are moving into the realms of politics so I will post no more on this subject other than to say Come on England!

encourage the women in society to support the women's game as much as the men in society support the men's game and then you've got a conversation about equality. But until then, your argument is as valid as that of a Male Basketball player in the UK saying he deserves as much money as a US Basketball player. They are not equal. Should a radio actor earn as much money as Tom Cruise? No, it's not a sex/gender issue at this point.

36 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

encourage the women in society to support the women's game as much as the men in society support the men's game and then you've got a conversation about equality. But until then, your argument is as valid as that of a Male Basketball player in the UK saying he deserves as much money as a US Basketball player. They are not equal. Should a radio actor earn as much money as Tom Cruise? No, it's not a sex/gender issue at this point.

Except you made it one with your first sentence. You can remove the genders from that sentence and it still holds the truth

4 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Except you made it one with your first sentence. You can remove the genders from that sentence and it still holds the truth

no I didn't, it's a valid point. How many people wanting equality in wages are prepared to commit to equality in commitment and investment? There's a massive article the other day, very thought provoking, basically stating that it's the lack of support from women that is preventing women's football from the growth that some are demanding.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

no I didn't, it's a valid point. How many people wanting equality in wages are prepared to commit to equality in commitment and investment? There's a massive article the other day, very thought provoking, basically stating that it's the lack of support from women that is preventing women's football from the growth that some are demanding.

Link? Please don't be the Daily Mail

I find it hard to believe that it's "lack of support from women" that is holding back the women's game, given how many male football fans I know who simply refuse to watch it for spurious reasons

It's still a fact that if you remove the genders from your first sentence, it still makes sense and is fundamentally true

In actual fact, a bit weird to try and claim it's not a sex/gender issue, whilst doubling down on your argument that "it's women's fault"

3 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Link? Please don't be the Daily Mail

I find it hard to believe that it's "lack of support from women" that is holding back the women's game, given how many male football fans I know who simply refuse to watch it for spurious reasons

It's still a fact that if you remove the genders from your first sentence, it still makes sense and is fundamentally true

In actual fact, a bit weird to try and claim it's not a sex/gender issue, whilst doubling down on your argument that "it's women's fault"

maybe I should have qualified it with the extra bit of "if women are unhappy with the pay gap.....", but I assumed everyone had the intelligence to know that is where I was going with it.

In non-gender specific industries, I totally agree. A boardroom is a boardroom for example, and a CEO/CFO/COO/MD/Pres/Vpres can be ANY age, gender or race and be entitled to match or better the salary of the (assumed) white male holding the role. That applies to all levels from entry level through junior management to senior director role.

Where people choose to pay money for a specific genre/sub genre, then there isn't equality unless the turnover is financially equal.

2 hours ago, Sinistra ram rousse said:

I am not, but that doesnt make any difference to the facts ?

If you want to explain why being female means they should get paid more i am all ears.

This argument comes around again and again but imho it just comes down to money and demand.  For example;

- We generate far more money in England than France, Germany, Italy, Spain etc despite those countries having won more internation honours - therefore our clubs can spend more in wages and transfers.

- De Bruyne earns far more than John Stones or Ederson despite being members of the same title winning team due to demand.

As and when the demand for womens football increases, more money will flow into the game and more will be distributed amongst the players - you can't magic money out of thin air.  Lets not forget, it wasn't that long ago that top flight footballers in the mens game had to seek alternative employment after their careers ended. 

The womens game is still in its relative infancy, its potential for growth will determine its future earning potential.

Enjoyed the game, The players know where each other should be, I liked how they worked the ball forwards, And got there to support one another, England when making substitutes either brought someone on like for like or better, I've been impressed with Russo...

Edited by Unlucky Alf

18 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Just settled down to watch my first ever women's footy... and saw a cracking goal within the first 2mins of me tuning in!  

Is it always this exciting?

Did you miss the diving, crying, time wasting and referee harassing that comes with real man's football? 

Apart from the odd throw it's just constant relentless football