Formations

BatRam

With us having Chester, Cashin and hopefully davies id love us to play 3-4-3

Now we've got a decent front 3 i think we'll do well! especially if we keep Beilek. Have him and hourihane in Midfield.

How do you guys think we'll line up under the new manager?

2 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

With us having Chester, Cashin and hopefully davies id love us to play 3-4-3

Now we've got a decent front 3 i think we'll do well! especially if we keep Beilek. Have him and hourihane in Midfield.

How do you guys think we'll line up under the new manager?

As things stand I think it's still looking like a 4-2-3-1

(Wildsmith)

(Byrne), Chester/(Davies), Cashin, (Roberts/Forsyth)

Bird,  Hourihane

NML/Barkhuizen, McGoldrick, Barkhuizen/NML

(Collins/Other)

I think it’s a bit early to predict as transfer dealings both in and out are still ongoing.

I’m not a big fan of three central defenders. 

I think we’ll go 4-3-3. If Bird stays he will start every week along with Hourihane and a mobile midfielder, whether that’s Thompson or someone new.

Barkhuisen will start most games, McGoldrick is great as a supporting forward and either Collins or NML or another (Sibley, Stretton, someone new?)

I still think we will lose Bielik, Lawrence, Knight and perhaps Sibley.

Hope we keep Byrne and Davies and probably Forsyth, unless we want more pace at FB.

Edited by Anag Ram
Typo

8 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

One comment my Owls mate said about NML was that he didn't do well in a 3-5-2 which is predominantly what Wednesday played.  His view was that, as a second striker he simply lacked the composure in front of goal to be effective in that role.  

Started 5 up front - 0 goals, 0 assists

Started 8 on the left and right of midfield - 2 goals, 3 assists

The players we have currently got look a much better fit in a 4-2-3-1 to me.

Rosenior might have an idea in his head of how he wants to play, but there also has to be an element of pragmatism about it based on the squad we will have in place and the level of opposition we will be playing.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

I'd like a bit of flexibility. if we can get a couple of players in who are comfortable in more than one position, we can dynamically change the formation to react to what we're seeing from the opposition.

For example, if we start with a 4-2-3-1, and we see the opposition trying to crowd the middle of the park and press our midfielder - I'd like on of our holding midfielder to be able to drop into a back three and release the full-backs to attack more (of course this relies on full-backs also being comfortable and capable wing-backs). Possibly ambitious, but it's that type of dynamism we will need to walk this league.

Us Rams of a certain age have a rose-tinted nostalgia for 3 at the back based on the Jim Smith era, and the sometimes stunning football we played back then.

The reality is though that tactics have moved on, 3-5-2 is too easily exposed, and some variation of 4-3-3 is now the way to go.

If we have Chester, Cashin and Davies the last thing we want is to play 3 at the back.  In a proper back 3 (i.e. a 3 with progressive wingbacks, not a flat back 5), the wide central defenders have to effectively function as fullbacks some of the time - e.g. if we are being attacked down our right flank, the right sided central defender has to come wide and engage their left winger or overlapping left back, while the other 2 central defenders stay central and deal with the striker(s).  And vice versa if we are being attacked down the other side.

So if you have big, slow defenders (which Chester, Davies and Cashin all are, to some degree), you are basically setting them up to deal with pacy wingers running at them repeatedly, which in the last thing you want.  You want fullbacks dealing with that kind of stuff and leave the central defenders to deal with man marking strikers and winning headers (gross oversimplification, obviously, but you get the idea).  That's why you often see fullbacks playing in a back 3 - Forsyth (and even Byrne at times) for us, Gary Neville and Kyle Walker for England etc.

I think we are very clearly recruiting to a 433 or 4231. It doubly makes sense because all of our best players are some version of a central midfielder to the extent that that if someone like Knight is still here they likely get played slightly out of position just to get them in the team.

7 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Wildsmith
(Byrne)   Cashin      Davies   (Forsyth)
                         Bird
           Hourihane    Sibley
Barkhuizen                       NML
                    McGoldrick

This is the correct answer.

Assuming Bielik and Knight are off, if not Knight starts in place of Bielik/Bird and Knight/Sibly rotate.

Wildsmith 

Bryne Davies Cashin Chester/Roberts 

Bird Thompson

Barkhusein Hourihane NML

McGoldrick/Collins

Subs : New Keeper  Fozzie Bardwell  Roberts / Chester Sibley  Collins/McGoldrick Stretton.     

Assumes Beilik & Knight are loaned/sold. 

46 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

How do we change fortunes away from home? That will determine midtable or top 6 

Tactics? Mentality? Formation?

Better players... which we now have ?