Formations

BatRam

1 hour ago, Shuff264 said:

I was thinking 3-4-3 but I don't think you can use Hourihane in it, and I expect him to be pretty key for us

Most modern 4-2-3-1s are basically 4-3-3s so its a bit academic, but it will probably be one of them depending on midfield roles.

You don't really get classic number 10s any more, most play more like 8s just higher meaning it's really just 4-3-3.

Main difference is if you have one CDM you think you can trust or need two to be confident, I expect we'll go Bird + Thompson for most games and hopefully bring in a bit of experienced cover

Hourihane spent most of last season playing 343 and 352 the season before.

When Villa where in the Championship, he would often play as the deepest CM in their 433

37 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

When Villa where in the Championship, he would often play as the deepest CM in their 433

I could be misremembering but wasn't he playing as part of a deeper 2 alongside Mcginn with Grealish in front of them in a 4231? 

For us though I think there is in incentive to play him slightly further forward to take advantage of his ability to get into the box and score. Especially given that we have both Bird and/or Bielik who can play deeper (assuming at least one stays).

I'd assume how we best utilise him though is as one of the 8s in a 433.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That surprises me give the criticism of his movement/pace, happy to be proven wrong

8 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I could be misremembering but wasn't he playing as part of a deeper 2 alongside Mcginn with Grealish in front of them in a 4231? 

For us though I think there is in incentive to play him slightly further forward to take advantage of his ability to get into the box and score. Especially given that we have both Bird and/or Bielik who can play deeper (assuming at least one stays).

I'd assume how we best utilise him though is as one of the 8s in a 433.

Yeah, mostly one of the '2' in a 4231, but they used 433 a couple of times with Grealish playing deeper. An example being our 3-0 defeat at home when Hourihane was the DM. Leeds late in the season was another, so too was the Playoff Final.

I cant see use switching to 433 to be honest. We spent almost all of last season playing 4231 with the AM playing very close to the CF.

I'm expecting Bielik to leave with us opting with a midfield base of Bird and Hourihane. Tommo and another as backup.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Yeah, mostly one of the '2' in a 4231, but they used 433 a couple of times with Grealish playing deeper. An example being our 3-0 defeat at home when Hourihane was the DM. Leeds late in the season was another, so too was the Playoff Final.

I cant see use switching to 433 to be honest. We spent almost all of last season playing 4231 with the AM playing very close to the CF.

I'm expecting Bielik to leave with us opting with a midfield base of Bird and Hourihane. Tommo and another as backup.

I think you are likely right and we stick with 4231. I just think we might get more out of the squad with 433. 

My issue with a 4231 for us now is that it's a system that from a attacking standpoint largely lives and dies by its 10. With Morrison gone and Lawrence I'm just not really sure there is anyone you can confidently point to play there.

Sibley feels like the only one and even then that's massively caveated based on how much Rosenior fancies him and encourages him to form. 

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think you are likely right and we stick with 4231. I just think we might get more out of the squad with 433. 

My issue with a 4231 for us now is that it's a system that from a attacking standpoint largely lives and dies by its 10. With Morrison gone and Lawrence I'm just not really sure there is anyone you can confidently point to play there.

Sibley feels like the only one and even then that's massively caveated based on how much Rosenior fancies him and encourages him to form. 

Waiting on a decision from Lawrence? That Elliott Anderson from Newcastle looks like a terrific player and could be our plan B.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Waiting on a decision from Lawrence? That Elliott Anderson from Newcastle looks like a terrific player and could be our plan B.

Maybe ? I just don't see why we wouldn't  be planning under the impression that Lawrence has gone. 

Like it's possible we sign someone to play there but with midfield options currently of Bird, Bielik, Horuihane, Knight, Thompson and Sibley I'd be trying to make a fist of it with those and focusing elsewhere.

Obviously we might lose a couple but on paper right now midfield is our highest area of quality.

26 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Maybe ? I just don't see why we wouldn't  be planning under the impression that Lawrence has gone. 

Like it's possible we sign someone to play there but with midfield options currently of Bird, Bielik, Horuihane, Knight, Thompson and Sibley I'd be trying to make a fist of it with those and focusing elsewhere.

Obviously we might lose a couple but on paper right now midfield is our highest area of quality.

I'm struggling to see Bielik stay with us due to international aspirations. The others aren't under that pressure. 

CM: Bird, Hourihane, LThompson

W/AM: Barkhuizen, Knight, Mendez-Laing, Sibley

Potentially 1 CM and 2 W/AMs needed.

For me we need to play 433 or 4321 to get the best out our wide men Barkhuizen and Mendez-Laing. It would then also allow us to play and get the best out of Knight and Hourihane with Bird sitting (presuming Knight stays).

19 hours ago, David said:

This is the correct answer.

Assuming Bielik and Knight are off, if not Knight starts in place of Bielik/Bird and Knight/Sibly rotate.

Knight cannot replace Bird/Bielek. They’re completely different types of players. 

Knight is a Bryson with more technical ability he needs to be the ‘shuttler’ 

Including linked players and ones not currently with a contract:

Rushworth
       Byrne  Davies  Cashin  Roberts
                    Knight  Bird
Barkhuizen  Hourihane  Mendez-Laing
                       Collins

Subs: Wildsmith, Forsyth, Chester, Thompson, Sibley, Sotona, McGoldrick

I haven't included Bielik as I just can't see him playing for us in L1.

Man it sure feels good to be debating things on the pitch rather than off it! ?

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Knight cannot replace Bird/Bielek. They’re completely different types of players. 

Knight is a Bryson with more technical ability he needs to be the ‘shuttler’ 

Yeah my post was a bit of a fail, not sure what went on there.

I wrote Knight rotating with Sibley and at the same time rotating with Bielik and Bird. ?

What I meant was Bielik and Bird rotating.

Knight and Sibley rotating.

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm struggling to see Bielik stay with us due to international aspirations. The others aren't under that pressure. 

CM: Bird, Hourihane, LThompson

W/AM: Barkhuizen, Knight, Mendez-Laing, Sibley

Potentially 1 CM and 2 W/AMs needed.

Out of those and I'd only really want Sibley as an AM, the rest feel a bit makeshift in that position. 

If we want to play 4231 I think we need to go out and get a good 10 to either compete with or start ahead of Sibley. Then 1/2 wide players. I think at CM we should still be ok if Knight is still here.

But personally I take one look at that and would want to set up something like 

Wildsmith

Byrne Chester Cashin *new*

Bird

Knight   Hourihane

Barkhuizen   McGoldrick Mendez-Laing

Or alternatively if we fancy Sibley;

Wildsmith

Bird Hourihane

Sibley 

I've just got a funny feeling we will try to shoehorn Knight there though and remain a bit toothless.

i wonder if we may move to 3 at the back with the guy from brighton coming in? 

it would also let us play 2 up top with mcgoldrick + 1 other as im not sure mcgoldrick will have enough goals to be the main striker in a promotion side

52 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Out of those and I'd only really want Sibley as an AM, the rest feel a bit makeshift in that position. 

If we want to play 4231 I think we need to go out and get a good 10 to either compete with or start ahead of Sibley. Then 1/2 wide players. I think at CM we should still be ok if Knight is still here.

But personally I take one look at that and would want to set up something like 

Wildsmith

Bird

Knight   Hourihane

Or alternatively if we fancy Sibley;

Wildsmith

Bird Hourihane

Sibley 

I've just got a funny feeling we will try to shoehorn Knight there though and remain a bit toothless.

I think the first team will be out first  choice 11 on paper, however Sibley will still have a massive role to play and will feature in most games. Either starting or coming off the bench (mainly as an attacking CM but occasionally outwide too).

Edited by Ram1988

I think he’ll play 4231 but I like the look of 3-4-3. Sorry in advance for the poor picture Iv been playing fifa ?

defensivly solid. A lot of height. Pace on either wing from wingbacks + wingers ( I know fozzy ain’t quick but I think we’re signing the Brighton lb)

midfield is have beilek holding and leaving hourihane to advance and create (beilek is decent at creating from deep also).

Some decent crossers of the ball and finally a striker that can put em in back of the net! 

Also a lot of strength which we lack with the younger lads. 

65847943-FFB9-48B8-AE38-8DBCF569ACFD.jpeg

Edited by CodnorRam