Formations

BatRam

14 minutes ago, CodnorRam said:

I like 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1.

What made me think of 3-4-3 is cause we cant really drop Cashin or Davies yet we've now got Chester ?

Didn't West Brom deploy Chester as a full-back in his time there? (Hope we're not thinking of doing that though.)

39 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Wildsmith
(Byrne)   Cashin      Davies   (Forsyth)
                         Bird
           Hourihane    Sibley
Barkhuizen                       NML
                    McGoldrick

Basically this but maybe Thompson holding with Bird 

No offence to anyone in this thread, but IMO if you are advocating for a certain formation, there are good reasons and bad reasons for doing it.  

These are good reasons:

"We should play 433 because, with a sitting midfielder behind him, Max Bird has more license to get forward and play passes in the final third."

"We should play 4231 because 2 holding midfielders gives Sibley freedom to play as a genuine attacking midfielder without us getting overrun in there."

These are bad reasons:

"We should play 343 because we have lots of centre halves."

"We should play 442 because I want to fit my 2 favourite players in the team at the same time."

If you can't really say what specific advantages on the pitch a certain formation is giving you, then you are playing fantasy football, not real football.  Just my opinion, feel free to tell me to sod off etc etc.

37 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

No offence to anyone in this thread, but IMO if you are advocating for a certain formation, there are good reasons and bad reasons for doing it.  

These are good reasons:

"We should play 433 because, with a sitting midfielder behind him, Max Bird has more license to get forward and play passes in the final third."

"We should play 4231 because 2 holding midfielders gives Sibley freedom to play as a genuine attacking midfielder without us getting overrun in there."

These are bad reasons:

"We should play 343 because we have lots of centre halves."

"We should play 442 because I want to fit my 2 favourite players in the team at the same time."

If you can't really say what specific advantages on the pitch a certain formation is giving you, then you are playing fantasy football, not real football.  Just my opinion, feel free to tell me to sod off etc etc.

the wanting to play 3 at the back is so we're solid defensively 

2 hours ago, ClowePow said:

I'd like a bit of flexibility. if we can get a couple of players in who are comfortable in more than one position, we can dynamically change the formation to react to what we're seeing from the opposition.

For example, if we start with a 4-2-3-1, and we see the opposition trying to crowd the middle of the park and press our midfielder - I'd like on of our holding midfielder to be able to drop into a back three and release the full-backs to attack more (of course this relies on full-backs also being comfortable and capable wing-backs). Possibly ambitious, but it's that type of dynamism we will need to walk this league.

It will be interesting to see whether Liam can do this. We didn’t respond well ‘in game’ last season and Liam spent plenty of time in Rooney’s ear... 

Very difficult to tell what sort of system we will play next season with the squad only half built as things stand. There will be plenty more ins and outs to come, but pre-season as always should give a decent indication of how Rosenior wants to play whilst he’s in charge. 

I certainly don’t think 3-4-3 is an impossibility, given the number of good quality CB’s we’re looking to sign. Our midfielders and forwards should be largely capable of playing most systems, the key signing if we were to play 3-4-3 would be a top quality, athletic LWB. Excluding players I expect to leave, and including those I expect to join, you could see something like this:

Wildsmith / Rushworth

Chester Davies Cashin

Byrne Hourihane Bird LWB

Barkhuizen McGoldrick / Collins LW

I’ll keeping banging the 4-3-3 drum though. It remains the absolute best all round formation for the modern game, in my view. There’s no competition. So I’d rather see something like this:

Wildsmith / Rushworth

Byrne Chester / Davies Cashin / Davies LB

Thompson Bird Hourihane

Barkuizen McGoldrick / Collins LW

NML & Barkhuizen can also operate as strikers and I'd suggest we aren't going to beat players with trickery/pace down the wings a-la Festy & Ebiowei. Leans towards a more central attacking threat. Plus the technical ability of Hourihane, Bird & Thommo should be enough to out play most midfields. 

I mentioned on another topic that the pictures the groundsmen are putting up make the pitch look narrow as well.

Can see us playing a ball on deck, patient build up type of football rather than frenetic wing play, counter or aerial balls forward. I guess that would mean that the much maligned short goal kicks would be here to stay, if it is the case.

19 minutes ago, Dan_Ram said:

NML & Barkhuizen can also operate as strikers and I'd suggest we aren't going to beat players with trickery/pace down the wings a-la Festy & Ebiowei. Leans towards a more central attacking threat. Plus the technical ability of Hourihane, Bird & Thommo should be enough to out play most midfields. 

I mentioned on another topic that the pictures the groundsmen are putting up make the pitch look narrow as well.

Can see us playing a ball on deck, patient build up type of football rather than frenetic wing play, counter or aerial balls forward. I guess that would mean that the much maligned short goal kicks would be here to stay, if it is the case.

Im hoping we dont do the CB passing to the keeper goal kick. Think iv got PTSD from that 

I was thinking 3-4-3 but I don't think you can use Hourihane in it, and I expect him to be pretty key for us

Most modern 4-2-3-1s are basically 4-3-3s so its a bit academic, but it will probably be one of them depending on midfield roles.

You don't really get classic number 10s any more, most play more like 8s just higher meaning it's really just 4-3-3.

Main difference is if you have one CDM you think you can trust or need two to be confident, I expect we'll go Bird + Thompson for most games and hopefully bring in a bit of experienced cover

Talk of formations misses a lot of the nuance. Last season, we'd often play a 4231. However, when we were attacking it was more of a 235, with the right full back (Byrne) joining the two in midfield, whereas the left back (Forsyth/Buchanan) would push further forwards. The left attacking midfielder (e.g. Knight) would tuck in more centrally, whereas the right (e.g. Ebiowei) would stay closer to the touchline.

For me 433 but I'd go for Thompson over Sibley in the exact same team as Animal Ram. 

Think you always need atleast 2 midfielders who can defend and I maybe wrong but see Hourihane as someone not so good at the defensive side, Sibley is not to be relied on defensively either. 

Think we are crying out for either a pacey striker to play next to Mcgoldrick if we go with a 442 or 4411 with Mcgoldrick just behind or a goal scoring winger to play LW. If we sell Knight and maybe Bird /Bielik if a solid offer comes in then we might be able to get that+add depth. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

I've no idea which formation Rosenior will consider is the best for the players that he will have available to him to choose from and truthfully I don't care.

I just want us to be more of a threat in the opposition box, unlike last season when we were not just woefully short of goals but the chances made in front of goal. Yes the lack of goals was partly down to the squad limitations imposed by the EFL. But the number of times we only had one player in the box when we were attacking didn't help.

This season I just want those players who are selected, to have the will and eagerness to push forward into the box whenever the opportunity arises, which will increase our scoring opportunities and hopefully increase our goals scored tally.

I think our squad will lack goals as of yet, maybe better off going with a direct 442 because Mcgoldrick won't score many but will link the play well and if we have someone good next to him who can get at least 15 goals then we will be looking more positive in that area. 

Tbh though can't see us playing direct football or fast football, personally I am bored of the slow, back to the keeper s**** of the last 3 years or so even under Lampard at times and would prefer a faster and more direct style of football that is still played mainly on the deck. 

Can't see Rosenior going for a 442 as I think that goes against the type of football he will want us to play, have a feeling it will be a similar style to Cocu football but hopefully faster and more effective.

If we do play that way and the wingers we have will have to be technical and have to score goals,not sure if what we have right now suits that in all honesty but we still have time to sign players. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99