Haydon Roberts - signed for Bristol City

Nuwtfly

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Interesting we’re still in for this lad after signing Chester. With Davies seemingly almost certain to renew his contract, you’d have to think signing Roberts means we won’t renew Stearman’s deal.

Yeah. Weirdly, unless he’s coming in as a left back, this is one I wouldn’t mind missing out on. I would rather see Stearman and Davies extend their deals then bring in one or two young cbs for the academy who could get game time as cover throughout the season. There must be some 18-21 year old cbs recently released from prem academy’s that we can pick up like we did with Plange and Ebiowei before. 

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yeah. Weirdly, unless he’s coming in as a left back, this is one I wouldn’t mind missing out on. I would rather see Stearman and Davies extend their deals then bring in one or two young cbs for the academy who could get game time as cover throughout the season. There must be some 18-21 year old cbs recently released from prem academy’s that we can pick up like we did with Plange and Ebiowei before. 

I don’t want to make other teams players better by being on loan here unless we have a cast iron agreement to buy for X figure if they do well 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

I don’t want to make other teams players better by being on loan here unless we have a cast iron agreement to buy for X figure if they do well 

I’m not against loans in general, they can add real quality to a squad and there are so many examples of promoted sides benefitting from their loanees. I just think a left sided cb on loan from a prem side probably comes with the expectation of playing, so what does that mean for Cashin and Chester/Davies (if he re-signs)? Davies and Cashin as first choice cbs with Chester and Stearman (and Forsyth?) as backup options with a couple of academy youths makes more sense to me. If we’re going to get prem loans in in our situation would rather they carry the pace and goal threat we need up top, saw the lad from Newcastle suggested who was at Bristol Rovers last year, that’s ideal in our situation. 
We need the bodies, loans can bring quality, just think our cb options are decent at this level if we kept Davies and Stearman. 

19 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Interesting we’re still in for this lad after signing Chester. With Davies seemingly almost certain to renew his contract, you’d have to think signing Roberts means we won’t renew Stearman’s deal.

I'm assuming he'd be bought in as a left back to compete with Fozzy (assuming both sign!).

With Byrne or another attacking full back on one side, with Roberts/Fozzy the more solid option on the left.

Edited by Carnero

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’m not against loans in general, they can add real quality to a squad and there are so many examples of promoted sides benefitting from their loanees. I just think a left sided cb on loan from a prem side probably comes with the expectation of playing, so what does that mean for Cashin and Chester/Davies (if he re-signs)? Davies and Cashin as first choice cbs with Chester and Stearman (and Forsyth?) as backup options with a couple of academy youths makes more sense to me. If we’re going to get prem loans in in our situation would rather they carry the pace and goal threat we need up top, saw the lad from Newcastle suggested who was at Bristol Rovers last year, that’s ideal in our situation. 
We need the bodies, loans can bring quality, just think our cb options are decent at this level if we kept Davies and Stearman. 

This is exactly the sort of problem Rosenior wants I should imagine!

22 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I agree. It didn’t exactly go very well for him last time in League One, so I’d only see him as fourth choice emergency cover beneath Chester, Cashin and Davies. I’d rather renew Stearman’s deal to do that job than waste one of our loans on it. Like you say, we can bring in our own young centre backs to develop in the U21s, rather than do Brighton a favour. 

21 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Didn't work for us but when it does, fine. Hasn't done that rabble down the A52 any harm.

16 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I'm assuming he'd be bought in as a left back to compete with Fozzy (assuming both sign!).

With Byrne or another attacking full back on one side, with Roberts/Fozzy the more solid option on the left.

Keep seeing this idea of him being a LB, but I can’t see him having played anything other than CB anywhere. Really hope we don’t bring players in to play out of position. We need to sign two proper LBs.

28 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Keep seeing this idea of him being a LB, but I can’t see him having played anything other than CB anywhere. Really hope we don’t bring players in to play out of position. We need to sign two proper LBs.

I thought I read he played most of the 2nd half of last season at LB with Rochdale ?‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I thought I read he played most of the 2nd half of last season at LB with Rochdale ?‍♂️

He was at Rochdale season before last, but maybe I’ve missed that. Either way up, I think they went down, so maybe not the best basis for his natural position!

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

24 starts at Rochdale - 3 at LB

Played mostly at LB in 17/18 (Brighton U18s)

Last season he only ever played CB - U23s and first team in the cup

19 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Did I read he was out of contract at the end of the season? Could be a really smart signing if we can get him for a nominal compensation fee at the end of the season (if we are allowed!)

I would imagine he will sign a new contract before coming on loan. Or this is one we will be looking at to sign for next season as you say