New signings, who will be first...and next?

RoyMac5

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Because he’s good?

Yeh he is good, but you need more than that. Is he better than Chester? No. Better than Davies? No.

Im not saying he isnt good, im saying he isnt ready to be a regular for us, so if he is going to be 4th choice then maybe its better for him & us if he went on loan to a team where is a regular starter

7 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

This season more than most is where we need experience to try and get out the league first time of asking. Last season was the season to play the youngsters which we did. Just dont think Cashin & Thompson are ready to be playing week in week out for us.

He’s 20 years old, he started something like 15 consecutive games at Championship level last season and was mostly excellent.  If he isn’t ready to play week in, week out in League 1, then there’s no point him being here.  Obviously rotating for fitness, or if he has a dip in form and needs a rest, is fine etc.

The other side of it is next season - what happens if we play Davies and Chester all season and go up, and then they both leave or retire? We’re back to square one and have Cashin who’s sat on his backside for 12 months learning nothing.  Honestly, we’ll be in a much better position if we spend an extra season at this level, and go up with a load of youngsters established in the team, than go straight up and have half the team retire on the spot.

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Yeh he is good, but you need more than that. Is he better than Chester? No. Better than Davies? No.

Im not saying he isnt good, im saying he isnt ready to be a regular for us, so if he is going to be 4th choice then maybe its better for him & us if he went on loan to a team where is a regular starter

So, he shouldn't start for us because he doesn't have enough experience?

So how's he going to get experience?

Oh, loan him out?

What to a club in League One, say?

Well, hello.

16 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Cashin has less than the equivalent of 15 league games experience under his belt, and is only 20, why do fans expect him to be a regular starter over someone like Chester who has bags of experience.

He may be 20 years old, but this is the first time he's been at Derby where we've not been under crippling restrictions since before he was old enough to buy a beer. He missed half of last season purely because the EFL wouldn't let us register him. As soon as he could be registered, he was a pretty consistent figure for us in a side that gathered enough points to survive in the Championship pretty comfortably. I don't think his low number of games is an accurate reflection on just how good he is to be fair.

12 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Oh, loan him out?

Well, hello.

Exactly.  It’s the with players like Stretton and Cybulski.  Throughout the season they’ll get their opportunities due to the amount of games we’ll have to play.  If we were still in the Championship we’d be saying they need a season on loan to a L1 club.  We are that L1 club!!

18 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Oh, loan him out?

Well, hello.

I didnt say he shouldnt start because of his experience, i said imo Chester & Davies are better. My point on his experience was why people think that means he is ready for a full season.

Could be to another League 1 club, lower end or maybe a top end League 2 club.

He could well be a regular starter for us next season but my whole point is IF he isnt, I think it would be better for him and us in the long run for him to go out on loan and play regularly than him being a squad player for us and featuring for the u23 which for me would be a backwards step for him.

12 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I didnt say he shouldnt start because of his experience, i said imo Chester & Davies are better. My point on his experience was why people think that means he is ready for a full season.

Could be to another League 1 club, lower end or maybe a top end League 2 club.

He could well be a regular starter for us next season but my whole point is IF he isnt, I think it would be better for him and us in the long run for him to go out on loan and play regularly than him being a squad player for us and featuring for the u23 which for me would be a backwards step for him.

IMHO he's good enough to start.

But even if he was fractionally less of a player than the more experienced defenders in the squad, I don't think he is but if you are arguing that' that is the case, then I would still play him.

He will only gain experience and improve by playing. The future comes into this; it's not all about the very next game. We could, in my opinion, build a team around the likes of Cashin.

I have no doubt based on his level in the latter end of the season he could easily have got a contract at championship club with playoff ambitions .  That being the case, he's good enough to play and probably expects to.  With Chesters knees he ain't playing more than 20 games on League 1 pitches.  That's enough as he can share the workload.  I expect the same to happen with Stearman and Davies.  Played all last season but plenty of injuries as far back as 17/18 so he won't be overused.  

23 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

IMHO he's good enough to start.

But even if he was fractionally less of a player than the more experienced defenders in the squad, I don't think he is but if you are arguing that' that is the case, then I would still play him.

He will only gain experience and improve by playing. The future comes into this; it's not all about the very next game. We could, in my opinion, build a team around the likes of Cashin.

Could well be that he is a regular starter, im not saying he is a poor player etc, I really like the lad & think he has a massive future ahead of him.

But my question is, IF he isnt going to be first choice (none of us on here know if he will or not) is it better for him to be maybe 4th choice for example and maybe get the odd cup game and sub appearance with U23 games or a loan out where he starts regularly.

My thought came from the rumours of Koiki signing and maybe Fozzy too plus Roberts already being here who plays LCB & LB.

So for example in choice order -

CBs - Davies Chester Stearman Cashin Roberts

LBs - Koiki Forsyth (Roberts)

In that hypothetical scenario, my opinion is let Roberts be 4th choice as he is in on loan, and send Cashin out on loan ourselves as that is better for him and us.

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

How do you know he isn’t better than Chester or Davies? I thought Cashin was superb as the season progressed especially Blackpool away with the goal being a bonus.

Davies, who I do think is a cracking player has now turned 36. Chester is on his way down as well. I honestly don’t think it’s long before there is a turning point with Cashin overtaking them.

Cashin is the best with the ball at his feet, is incredibly strong, has super passing especially long range, and has really good aerial ability.

We are fortunate to have three super central defenders and Stears as a back up. 

Is there an argument at the moment for Chester to start at RB?

Was a little unsure on having 5 centre backs in the squad at first but the more I think about it it might not be the worst idea in the world. Normally an advocate for 2 players in a squad for each position with a couple of extras and I think it makes sense to have one of these extras be a defender in our case when you look at the players we have.

Chester - 33 and some niggling injuries over the last couple of years

Stearman - 35 soon, steady enough to come in for a game or two but has been a bit part player for a long time

Davies - 37, played every game last season but can he do that again or is he going to need to be rested some weeks now. Has also had a couple of lengthy injuries during his time at the club

Cashin - really like him as a player but he's only 20 and played about 15 games. He's young and his form may dip so may need spells out of the team

Roberts - see above for Cashin

Based on that I can see us potentially having a couple of spells where two or more are unavailable or we want to rest them so makes sense to have the extra option.

10 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

I know alot of people mention Cashin as a regular starter, but imo I would go with Chester & Davies.

So, if that was to happen and we sign both Forsyth & Koiki, could we be using Roberts as 4th choice CB and potentially loan Cashin out so he can get a full season playing elsewhere rather than being 4th choice with us?

Only reason I can think of to have 2 left backs plus Roberts.

I just can’t agree with that. Cashin oozes quality, strength and fight. He understands the team ethic. You can see his passion for the club and the game in everything he does. I also love the fact that he knows when to just clear it and when to play a neat short pass. 

10 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

He has a handful of games experience, doesnt mean he is reaey to be playing week in week out

You know a good player when you see one. He’s a natural, personally think he’ll end up in league one team of the season. Reminds me of when we first saw Chris Riggott in a rams shirt, everyone knew straight away he was class. We’re lucky to have him, has to start and will be extremely disappointed if he doesn’t.

10 hours ago, rammieib said:

How do you know he isn’t better than Chester or Davies? I thought Cashin was superb as the season progressed especially Blackpool away with the goal being a bonus.

Thats just my opinion right now. But I agree he looked really good when he came in last season. Whether he sinks or swims being a regular starter in League 1 remains to be seen.

My whole point was though that IF Rosenior didnt start him regularly for whatever reason, would a loan be more beneficial to Cashin, my opinion was that it would be.