Academy thread 22/23

RoyMac5

From the start of the 2022/23 season, Premier League 2 will become an under-21 competition.

"The amendment to the age limit, which was previously under-23, has been introduced as part of an ongoing review of the Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP) to better align with the Papa Johns Trophy and international competitions.

The rule change is designed to reflect the reality of the players in the competition, whose average is currently 19.

Clubs will, however, be permitted to use five (previously three) over-age outfield players and one over-age goalkeeper, in order to transition from its under-23 format.

The aim is to continue providing opportunities for the best young players to play alongside and against older and more experienced players..."

Not a fan of reverting back to U21 being the oldest academy team. In my view footballers aren’t fully developed until they’re 23/24, so the previous age limit was about right. You’re limiting the opportunities for late bloomers to come through, as 21/22 year olds will now be let go if they haven’t made the first team yet, even though they might have made it with a bit more time to develop.

I think all the other age groups are fit for purpose. Just that the u23 level allowed some clubs to stockpile players in their squads when the best thing in the players interest when they get past 20/21 is to actually try and get into a first team squad somewhere, even if it's not at a PL team.

I think this will allow some decent players to take the step away from reserve squads at the big PL teams. Too many players stall when they hang around at the likes of Liverpool, City and Chelsea. Yeah they get loaned out here and there, but still with aspirations of breaking through to the first team. Whereas, in reality, only a tiny percentage will make that transition.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, TheHomunculusLives said:

Is there any chance that any of the Academy products we've lost recently will come back on loan? Or are we at too low a level now in League One for guys like Ebosele, Ebiowei and Plange?

Why would we want to make other teams 'average' youngsters better? At this level better we find more of our own.

1 minute ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Is there any chance that any of the Academy products we've lost recently will come back on loan? Or are we at too low a level now in League One for guys like Ebosele, Ebiowei and Plange?

I’d only want Malcolm back TBH

2 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

I was surprised to see David Clowes say that we will maintain a Cat A academy - surprised purely due to the significant cost of doing so when we've all seen how the Prem clubs can just pinch them

They can only pinch them when we've not been able to do more than 'offer' a contract rather them being under a 'long' contract.

Think we're seeing a reset at the u18 and u21 level (after the change from u23 coming in this season).

I'm disappointed to see that McDonald and Wilson haven't quite made the cut, but perhaps they also need a fresh start somewhere. Hopefully we can recruit well like we have in recent seasons to fill out these squads with exciting youngsters.

4 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Not many surprises in the U23 and U18 departures mentioned in this Festy Ebosele update: 

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2022/07/ebosele-leaves-derby-at-end-of-contract-for-udinese-switch

I would have thought based on my limited knowledge of them that we might have kept McDonald and Wilson now we're in League One. McDonald in particular was in and around the first team squad quite a lot until the second half of last season.

3 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

I was surprised to see David Clowes say that we will maintain a Cat A academy - surprised purely due to the significant cost of doing so when we've all seen how the Prem clubs can just pinch them

Sunk cost though, it took the best part of 10 years to get the academy into really good shape - keeping it probably makes more sense than pruning it to an average league 1 level. If it takes 3-5 years to get it productive again it's not going to be a bad thing.

Yes, scavenging by prem teams is always going to be a problem but the last 2 years have been from a much weaker position on our side than really it should've been.

Most important thing here is to get processes in place where we can get these young players contracted to ensure we don't continually get robbed by big Prem teams who are happy to steal young talent even when they are worth billions..appreciate we can only do that at a certain age but we need commitment to get a decent return.