Academy thread 22/23

RoyMac5

9 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

Is there many academy players who we think can step up next season? to add sqaud depth 

it'll probably be a big ask, as the most experienced/highly rated ones already got elevated last season and have now been sold (for what largely looks like peanuts) to keep the lights on. the Polish lad Cybulski will probably be the most prominent. Aghatsie might get a chance in midfield at some point, but could be a step too far for most of the rest at this stage.

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

Interesting thread here on potential young players recently released from PL academies.

Who we'll find from other academies (that we probably haven't heard of) interests me as much as first-team signings. It's great seeing us pick up relative unknowns that turn out to be just as good as players we could have paid a lot more for!

Looking down the U21s we have, the positions I think we need more strength in are CB and on the wing. George Nunn and Ryan Glover could cover the wing options if deals for them materialise... have we be linked with any young up-and-coming centre-backs or got any on trial that we know of? 

24 minutes ago, angieram said:

Interesting thread here on potential young players recently released from PL academies.

I was just about to share this very thing ? great minds once again! Some interesting suggestions on here, exactly what we need to bolster the academy and some of whom could even be first team options (McEachran stands out). 

Lots of the 2nd year scholars will be involved with u21s this year as they have always been seen as a strong group and capable of playing up. The current first years and u16s are also groups who can cope with u18 football this year. Robinson, Richards and Evans been with the first team all week. 

On 04/07/2022 at 22:47, Ram1988 said:

Do we have any young and upcoming left backs? seeming as we don't have any senior left backs on the books atm

Will Grewal-Pollard is probably the next in line (as he will new be a first year professional) but he was converted to CB quite a lot last season when Reece Hutchinson was playing LB for us as an U23 trialist.

I’d say next up would he highly rated Riley Moloney, an England youth captain I think, but he missed most of last season so didn’t get much U18 playing time. Moloney will be a second-year scholar this season.

Cian Kelly-Caprani, a first year professional this season, was also played at left-back for the U18s even though he’s more of an attacking player really.

Likewise, RB Rhys Brailsford, who can play anywhere across the backline, was also played at LB for the U18s. Brailsford will also be a first year professional this season.

Edited by Stuniverse

On 07/07/2022 at 00:54, Ram1988 said:

Is there many academy players who we think can step up next season? to add sqaud depth 

Most likely, I suppose, are 34. Jack Stretton and 49. Bartosz Cybulski but they could both find their opportunities more limited this season if we add another striker or two to the addition of David McGoldrick.

You then have the U23s who got a squad number last season but didn’t really break through: 22. Max Bardell (RB) and 44. Osazee Aghatise (MC) if he signs his new contract. Then you have the other U23s Will Grewall-Pollard (LB/CB), Harrison Solomon (CB) and Courtney Clarke (MC/CB) plus Connor Dixon (MC) if he signs his new contract, and last but not least the wild card Bobby Duncan (SC).

Olamide Ibrahim (MC) had a good first season as a first-year scholar, but fell down the pecking order last season, but the former Manchester United youth player could yet step-up this season as a first year professional.

Of the U18s, 47. Darren Robinson (MC) and 46. Carlos Richards (RW) have impressed in training this week and Liam Rosenior has said they will both play against Bradford City tomorrow. Another U18 central midfielder, Sam Sebagabo, is one to watch but next season could be too soon for him.

41 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Will Grewal-Pollard is probably the next in line (as he will new be a first year professional) but he was converted to CB quite a lot last season when Reece Hutchinson was playing LB for us as an U23 trialist.

I’d say next up would he highly rated Riley Moloney, an England youth captain I think, but he missed most of last season so didn’t get much U18 playing time. Moloney will be a second-year scholar this season.

Cian Kelly-Caprani, a first year professional this season, was also played at left-back for the U18s even though he’s more of an attacking player really.

Likewise, RB Rhys Brailsford, who can play anywhere across the backline, was also played at LB for the U18s. Brailsford will also be a first year professional this season.

A couple should be stepping up from the U16s.

Billy Gough and Keilan Robinson (who can also play CB). England have had a look at him in the past.

57 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

41 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Most likely, I suppose, are 34. Jack Stretton and 49. Bartosz Cybulski but they could both find their opportunities more limited this season if we add another striker or two to the addition of David McGoldrick.

You then have the U23s who got a squad number last season but didn’t really break through: 22. Max Bardell (RB) and 44. Osazee Aghatise (MC) if he signs his new contract. Then you have the other U23s Will Grewall-Pollard (LB/CB), Harrison Solomon (CB) and Courtney Clarke (MC/CB) plus Connor Dixon (MC) if he signs his new contract, and last but not least the wild card Bobby Duncan (SC).

Olamide Ibrahim (MC) had a good first season as a first-year scholar, but fell down the pecking order last season, but the former Manchester United youth player could yet step-up this season as a first year professional.

Of the U18s, 47. Darren Robinson (MC) and 46. Carlos Richards (RW) have impressed in training this week and Liam Rosenior has said they will both play against Bradford City tomorrow. Another U18 central midfielder, Sam Sebagabo, is one to watch but next season could be too soon for him.

Thank you mate, that was an interesting read.

I think players who play out wide can certianly be give minutes knowing if they make mistakes it won't be as costly to the team. Looking at how many senior defenders we have it could also be an opportunity to bring some young defenders through and have a chance in the first team too.

23’s played against Loughborough at Moor farm today 

i believe it finished 3-3 with like the first team, them playing a first half XI and a second half XI, the 23’s did the same 

lots of minutes going round with a few first years getting minutes and also u16 gk Jack Thompson who seems to be carrying on where he left off last season when he was with the first team regularly 

On 09/07/2022 at 18:30, MorleyRam said:

23’s played against Loughborough at Moor farm today 

i believe it finished 3-3 with like the first team, them playing a first half XI and a second half XI, the 23’s did the same 

lots of minutes going round with a few first years getting minutes and also u16 gk Jack Thompson who seems to be carrying on where he left off last season when he was with the first team regularly 

Any idea who played for the U21s against Loughborough?

It was a mix of second and first years with a couple of u16s covering where there are injuries. Most of the established u21s were with the first team. Will probably be the same again against Mickleover. 

1 hour ago, ExiledinDerby said:

It was a mix of second and first years with a couple of u16s covering where there are injuries. Most of the established u21s were with the first team. Will probably be the same again against Mickleover. 

Belper tonight the tweet says?

Sorry yes playing Belper at Mickleover.. Team will be mostly the same I believe though. Maybe a couple more of the u21s who need some time in their legs but it will be a young team.