Serial Whingers Notts Forest playtime, which we simply cannot accept.

REDCAR

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Forest fans will call it strength in depth but I think it's a bloated squad.

This is there mo though. Until recently and I believe cooper steadied the ship, they had a ridiculously bloated squad with a real scatter gun approach to recruitment. It didn’t work then, and now they’re returning to it. 

They already signed a striker from the Bundesliga for £18m and now replaced him with Dennis and Maupay for a combined £30m. 

Good signings, but straight back to that scattergun approach. 

They really need to stay up now, it’s getting to that stage where it’s boom or bust. I’ve always applauded teams for having a go once they get promoted, but this will end up close to £200m and I’m not even sure Olympiacos with their FFP restrictions can stomach that level of cost.

4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Well well well, we all assumed it'd be notts forest taking on the 11 point challenge, but it seems man u are going to give it a go as well.

I still believe in forest's ability to get 11 points this season though. You reds.

They might not beat that record, probably no one will. But they can have a good go at increasing their record for most times finishing last in the top flight. 

Maupay at £15m isn’t a bad deal. Dennis is a decent player too and Kouyate on a free seems a worthwhile addition.

But yeah scattergun approach.

I wonder who is actually making these signings over there? I doubt it is Cooper.

Somebody is playing FM with a real life club.

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Maupay at £15m isn’t a bad deal. Dennis is a decent player too and Kouyate on a free seems a worthwhile addition.

But yeah scattergun approach.

I wonder who is actually making these signings over there? I doubt it is Cooper.

Somebody is playing FM with a real life club.

It's Doogie Howser. 

I've had a lot of spats online with Forest fans (twitter) so posting on here instead. If you look at the amount of money they have now spent, it may have been the more boring & predictable approach, but perhaps they would have been better off signing the loanees that actually contributed to them getting promoted in the first place, (Spence, Garner, Davies) maybe paying slightly over the odds, as they appear to be doing so now, but for players, like at Brentford, whose value would increase, allowing them to get a good return on their money.

The influx of signings could also affect those players such as Yates who earned the club promotion but then find themselves possibly on the fringes.

Cooper surely can't be authorizing each & every deal & Marinakis has reportedly taken control of transfer negotiations. Strangely, Forest have a sensible enough coach in charge who is probably selective in who he'd bring in, whilst we had Billy Davies who was agitating for the club to spend all of its £60m PL money on signings. He & Marinakis would have got on well.

The squad looks bloated, like their owner, but as seen with Brentford, the PL is also about a well-run, smaller sides using their resources well (as in Germany with Freiburg). There must also be an element of trust at Brentford, as the midfield & defence remain stable units; you get a chance to perform, maybe make a mistake, but of course, if you perform badly across a period of time, your place in the team is in jeopardy. Forest appear to have adopted the approach of stocking up on players and probably chopping & changing the team which doesn't lead to continuity.

It is an exciting time of course, for the Forest fanbase, but there must be a few of them who look at what happened to us, and wonder if this is sustainable  because Marinakis could end up being a Greek version of Mel Morris.

However, it might be ironic to read John Percy on twitter in a couple of years posting articles about NFFC desperately seeking a takeover to avoid financial meltdown.

If you're a forest fan I don't see that there's any reason for pessimism. They have gone up and spent big on players that generally should be able to contribute at Premiersh*t level.

As a fan of another club I would love to be able to laugh at them and be confident that they are going to be floundering at the bottom of the league but unfortunately I just don't see that being the case. 

They are spending money that it is impossible to spend in the Championship due to FFP which is the root of the big problem facing football at the moment.

If they are relegated at the end of the season they are already virtual certainties to be promoted next season with the squad they will have, so as sad as it makes me feel, fair play to them.

Still hope that they have a sh*t season

I'm not sure I agree,  @Loughborough Ram, but that's what this forum is about, different opinions. I think, as a long-term approach, it is risky though Fulham have done similar, got relegated & then promoted (yo-yo club). Forest are probably benefiting from that link to Olympiacos, though problems could arise if rules here ever get tightened up.

You're right about the financial disparities between the top division & Champ'ship as the root of so many problems, but even FFP affects things in the PL as seen by what is happening at Leicester.

I have to say, having seen Derby lurch from one financial crisis to another, from boom to bust, I'd be concerned if it was us spending  such sums on fees & wages that are beginning to eclipse what Morris incurred & got us into such difficulty. It was already a concern watching us spend £10m on two midfielders even if it appeared exciting.

So, in some ways, Forest may get to enjoy short-term glamour, but end up paying for it in the longer term, and perhaps on a far bigger scale than what happened to us.