Serial Whingers Notts Forest playtime, which we simply cannot accept.

REDCAR

8 hours ago, Asanovic70 said:

Does it matter if Forest stay up? They'll receive more PL largesse, yes, but they already appear to have spent heavily on fees, wages & several players 30+ in age with no resale value. Their famed Academy may suffer as the pathway to the first team gets harder with so many established professionals ahead of them. If Lewis O'Brien can get binned after a few months, what hope is there for a young Academy prospect? This may present an opportunity for us to attract them instead, knowing they may get an opportunity at Pride Park especially if we can eventually get back to the second tier.

I agree with the poster who remarks how the euphoria of promotion has turned into a bit of circus. I made the obvious suggestion that they ought to have signed the on-loan players they helped get them promoted, though they have all had a mixed bag of a season, Keinan Davis, Garner (injured) & Spence sent on loan. But they would have been signings that could have been assets &, in a worse case scenario, Forest would have become a yo-yo club but one that hasn't mortgaged itself.

But, seriously, this is not sustainable at the level they are spending for a club of its size (contrast with Brighton). Watching it unfold, is like watching an exaggerated version of ourselves under Mel Morris.

I genuinely think they are heading towards a similar financial crisis down the line. It's not that I wish it, it's just neither of us - and gamblers like me - learn from our mistakes, the cycle of boom & bust, and we've been through it in the mid 80s, the LoG in 2006 after the Three Amigos, Mel Morris. Forest were saved from implosion by the generosity of the Doughty family waiving £75m of debt after Nigel Doughty's passing. Al-Hasawi ran the club in a bizarre manner, leaving them open to sanctions under FFP.

Like us with Mel - He can do what he wants, the Marinakis love-in may ultimately turn sour.

Pretty sure they almost lost their new Category 1 status they were rattling on about last season as it had slipped so much .  To be honest that always seems a statement thing to me rather than anything else.  We had better young players Huddlestone, Barnes, Hendrick, Hughes etc before such a thing existed.  Probably not the quantity but certainly the quality. 

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Pretty sure they almost lost their new Category 1 status they were rattling on about last season as it had slipped so much .  To be honest that always seems a statement thing to me rather than anything else.  We had better young players Huddlestone, Barnes, Hendrick, Hughes etc before such a thing existed.  Probably not the quantity but certainly the quality. 

They sold all theirs for a lot more money though. Burke, Brereton, Appiah etc

53 minutes ago, Srg said:

They sold all theirs for a lot more money though. Burke, Brereton, Appiah etc

To be fair we actually tried to utilise ours before they went.  Got good money for Hendrick, Barnes was terminally injured after his first season so lost his value.  Markets different now as well.  With the aforementioned Barnes and Huddlestone premier league clubs would have been spaffing 15 million with add ons after 20 games.

Ive probably said this before, but I used to have a bit of info about how the Forest academy worked from a mate who was in it for a good number of years. Had a long chat with him about it and the comparison with a club like Derby’s at that time (this was maybe 3-4 years ago).

How he saw it, and I’m not saying he’s right or wrong, but when you are at a cat 1 academy (or atleast a highly regarded academy) they had is a system in place that had been going for 20 years and was pretty regimented and they know it works. Which is important in that it takes years and years for an academy to get to that stage. The other big thing was that they learnt a multiple of positions and had to be ready to play any position because they could be playing anywhere in an academy game. Now I’m sure this happens at every academy and isn’t too mind blowing as a concept, but he said this was really important because you had to be ‘ready’ to play any position. In simple terms, you had to be an ‘athlete’ essentially. You couldn’t just be technically gifted or a runner, you needed a bit of everything.

This made me think back to the Hughes, Bennett, Hendrick era when looking back they were all players who were quite regimented in a style and position before they were even ready for professional football.  Something like that is, presumably, only going to reduce a market value because you are buying a limited player. What I think at that time is that we although they looked good prospects we were only bringing players through with one or two key attributes rather than 3,4,5. In hindsight Hughes should have been worth a lot more than Burke, but my guess is Burke had a more rounded education at that time. What’s interesting is with Knight, Bird and Sibley and what happens when they are eventually sold. All now are starting to flourish even though it’s taken a couple of seasons to really get going but they are more rounded players than what we once had.

The other thing he never really admitted but kinda alluded to is that they essentially have one player in each age category that they ear mark for the first team and they are the bread ticket for the academy. Everyone else, despite some having a lot of potential get released and end up at the very bottom of football and it’s too demoralising for a lot of them and they go do something else. So what I mean is, to get the one player worth millions they have to invest and get a lot of players through their system to find a bit of a diamond in the rough. 

Whether that’s all accurate I don’t know (this chat was in a pub a few years back!) and I’m sure there’s other bits to it. I do think it’s interesting and i think it suggests that our academy was so close to being a real success before administration. 

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

To be fair we actually tried to utilise ours before they went.  Got good money for Hendrick, Barnes was terminally injured after his first season so lost his value.  Markets different now as well.  With the aforementioned Barnes and Huddlestone premier league clubs would have been spaffing 15 million with add ons after 20 games.

Yeah and they were all better players than Oli Burke

I'm still negotiating as a free agent, happy to bolster the ranks of non-playing players at forest for a knock-down wage of £25k/wk, representing a significant saving over not signing me to not play, i'm in my 40s so I've plenty of years of not playing left in me. If forest are serious, they need to get this deal done.

I promise to bring my half arsed shoulder shrug and i don't wanna but i suppose i'll do it work ethic to the dressing room.

17 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

It’s fascinating that people like this still exist…

people not yet signed by forest, I mean. 

You may jest, but I guarantee they would have heard all about how The World-Famous Nottingham Forest overcame the might of Swedish part-timers Malmo over 4 decades ago, to earn the first of two... count 'em... two... gold stars.

In fact, I bet "Forest" is the only English language word they know!  ?

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

You may jest, but I guarantee they would have heard all about how The World-Famous Nottingham Forest overcame the might of Swedish part-timers Malmo over 4 decades ago, to earn the first of two... count 'em... two... gold stars.

In fact, I bet "Forest" is the only English language word they know!  ?

More likely to be “jungle”, to be fair. 

1 hour ago, Red_Dawn said:

Great result today boys. I mean you’re playing against lads who work as binmen and taxi drivers during the week, but still..

Very tempted to chuck a tenner on you to get autos. Tell me why I should or shouldn’t..

To be fair, a couple of players you spunked millions of pounds on in the summer are now working as taxi drivers and bin men in the week.