Serial Whingers Notts Forest playtime, which we simply cannot accept.

REDCAR

Getting this in early but if they stay up (God forbid) it’s because it’s not a normal season.  There’s a massive break in November and December because of the World Cup and this could play to their advantage.  They won’t have many (any??) players involved.  This means they’ll be refreshed after a longer break.   Most of the other teams in the PL will have had players travel half way round the world playing in humid conditions.  This could play to the smaller clubs advantage in the 2nd half the season as they’ll have had a break, longer to reflect, develop and tweak ready for the season restarting.  I think we’ll see some very strange results.  It will also affect the FA Cup as the bigger teams will take this opportunity to rest players involved in the World Cup.

13 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Getting this in early but if they stay up (God forbid) it’s because it’s not a normal season.  There’s a massive break in November and December because of the World Cup and this could play to their advantage.  They won’t have many (any??) players involved.  This means they’ll be refreshed after a longer break.   Most of the other teams in the PL will have had players travel half way round the world playing in humid conditions.  This could play to the smaller clubs advantage in the 2nd half the season as they’ll have had a break, longer to reflect, develop and tweak ready for the season restarting.  I think we’ll see some very strange results.  It will also affect the FA Cup as the bigger teams will take this opportunity to rest players involved in the World Cup.

True, but Brennan Johnson, Neco Williams, the Nigerian player they’ve signed, possibly Dean Henderson and even Lingard if he plays well enough (doubtful) could be going to the World Cup. Despite all their signings Johnson is key to their chances next season and is still their best player. So they will be affected. 

13 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

They'll have a few players going. Johnson, Williams and Hennessey are certain to go for Wales, and the first two will probably be starters. Richie Laryea certainly goes for Canada and probably starts, though I don't know how much of a part he'll play for Forest next year. Henderson has a decent shout of going as the third keeper for England. I don't know how that will compare to the teams around them, though.

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

True, but Brennan Johnson, Neco Williams, the Nigerian player they’ve signed, possibly Dean Henderson and even Lingard if he plays well enough (doubtful) could be going to the World Cup. Despite all their signings Johnson is key to their chances next season and is still their best player. So they will be affected. 

Nigeria didn't qualify for this one, they had a bit of a shock loss in their playoff game against Ghana, so they're going instead

13 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

11 minutes ago, JfR said:

They'll have a few players going. Johnson, Williams and Hennessey are certain to go for Wales, and the first two will probably be starters. Richie Laryea certainly goes for Canada and probably starts, though I don't know how much of a part he'll play for Forest next year. Henderson has a decent shout of going as the third keeper for England. I don't know how that will compare to the teams around them, though.

Don’t go spoiling my Friday night ?.  Fair point but they’ll be home after the 2nd week so still an extended break ?.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Will be ironic if Lingard suffers an ACL injury first game of the season.

Not that I wish that on him naturally. 

I wouldn't wish it on him naturally, either. 

I suspect there's little natural about a Ryan Yates tackle in training though.

We signed an ex England striker in the recent past too, the difference was ours was England and Man Utds record goalscorer, not a decade long bit part who played a combined total of four games in his most recent season. 

Edited by Rev
Added context.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

I wouldn't wish it on him naturally, either. 

I suspect there's little natural about a Ryan Yates tackle in training though.

We signed an ex England striker in the recent past too, the difference was ours was England and Man Utds record goalscorer, not a decade long bit part who played a combined total of four games in his most recent season. 

Bumped into Gordon Banks in Menorca about 10 years ago or so.  Had a nice little chat and he had a photo with me.  Lovely guy sat on his tod with a paper.  He won a world cup.  Quiet bloke with no airs and graces at all.  I know times change but wow, this one appears an absolute whopper.  

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

i wouldn't worry about him.  I think even they're coming to a fast conclusion it was 17 million quid down the toilet. 

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Bumped into Gordon Banks in Menorca about 10 years ago or so.  Had a nice little chat and he had a photo with me.  Lovely guy sat on his tod with a paper.  He won a world cup.  Quiet bloke with no airs and graces at all.  I know times change but wow, this one appears an absolute whopper.  

Played against Gordon Banks in a charity match in Utch many moons ago. Really decent bloke, working class lad who ended up as the best goalie in the world (ask Pele). Absolutely down to earth and lovely man. He didn't really understand what a hero he was to our generation.

I nearly scored against him, but he luckily guessed the right way, jammy sod.

15 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

Which name does you prefer? Oh dear me. Yes he’ll fit right in with the supporters

I refuse to believe there aren’t any notts florets followers who aren’t horrified by this signing especially when he walks away when everyone stops trying by December -seriously more bothered about his so called name than not having the ability to be good enough on the football pitch.

I stuck £100 on those turds down the road for relegation, Betting slip on this thread, They signed 2 really decent keepers, A couple from Huddersfield, Someone from Germany and a bunch of players I've not heard of, The cabbage patch doll of a manager will have to be a miracle worker of biblical proportions to keep this bunch up, Then he signs a plank who can't speak the Queens English on a reputed £200k a week for 1 year, It's not like he's going to play in a team that's tried and tested, Has a good squad with a proven defence, Midfield and attack...like erm...WHU, Dick Turpin is alive and well and robbing for a living still.

Forest may stay up, but what they are doing is unsustainable. Look at Leicester. Benevolent owners, sold players for big money (Chilwell, Maguire) & now reported to have to sell before they can buy.

Forest have spent big but on young players rather than proven performers, there's a lack of experience in the team bar Lingard. It's never a good idea to sign players attracted by wages, which was one of the reasons which led to our downfall. 

How things can  quickly change

I remember reading some comments by Nigel Doughty from an AGM/chairman's statement in 2008  (posted online) where he advocated Forest continue their prudent approach (the much criticised transfer committee) following promotion &, without directly mentioning names, stated how he wished to avoid the scenario of paying silly wages/poor signings made by rival clubs (our disastrous PL season).

Flash forward three years, and Mr Doughty reluctantly put his beloved side up for sale after sections of the Forest fanbase protested, their wage bill spiralling after three seasons of near-misses under Billy Davies.

Part of me is envious, but a greater part of me thinks Forest achieved promotion by being smart in the market last season & that they appear to have dispensed with this approach. There's no way I'd be happy to pay a player £120k a week, even for a year. For that money, Forest would have done better to use these resources to bring Garner back on a permanent deal. Whatever your view on Garner, he was part of a successful midfield that was well-balanced. I'd say the Forest midfield looks weaker going into the new season than it did last May.

There's an argument that a promoted club should bring in only a certain number of players in key areas, and this is what Jim Smith did with some smart signings like Laursen & in particular, Asanovic (creativity), as well as other players making the step to the next level (Carsley, Sturridge, first season). It also makes you wonder how much input Steve Cooper had regarding the signing of Lingard or if it is an act of desperation.

Of course, I'd rather be in the Championship etc, but I'd rather be in our situation now with a responsible owner who appears to be saying all the right things, and is even counselling the fanbase not to get themselves into debt (the season ticket situation). We will eventually turn things round under such an owner. The PL is the law of diminishing returns for middle-ranking clubs.

they had to strengthen because they went up with one of the worst squads ever to go up.

for all of us laughing at lingard i am a bit gutted they appear to be going for it so much to be honest, i had hoped they would adopt the norwich approach 

18 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I didn't understand a single word he said in that tweety-video thing on the train earlier.

There seems to be little improvement when he diverts to the written word.

Oh to be young and hip again, daddio!

?

I caught the bit where he said "Notts Forest shirt" if that helps... ?

They have signed a very decent goalkeeper and a decent back up - o’brian is a good runner for midfield - the expensive right back has hardly played football whilst the left back can’t defend and he will need to. I pity the player who has to try and cover for what lingard is not doing whilst the centre forward is a total unknown - I can’t see them having much of the football 

2 hours ago, Asanovic70 said:

Part of me is envious, but a greater part of me thinks Forest achieved promotion by being smart in the market last season & that they appear to have dispensed with this approach.

This is exactly how they did it. One good season where they just got things right. The recruitment was pretty much spot on and they appointed a genuinely good manager. It wasn't necessarily years of building. They were sh*te in other seasons which Joe Worrall admitted himself.