New Kits 22-23 Season

SparxTheRam

2 hours ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Fair enough, this is my point - not understanding why manufacturers wouldn't do competitions - yours is the only one I've ever seen!

In terms of inviting designs - if there are issues with the public not understanding printing processes etc, it could be something where a "winning" design is then adapted to meet technical requirements by the manufacturer. Is it Jake Barker on Twitter who had a go using our traditional colours for example? 

I definitely don't think Umbro have been terrible, just not terribly exciting, and Castore was just an example, maybe Hummel/Puma, whoever, might just be time for a change!

You should see how some of the submissions are sent across. Some people will use professional standard software, some will use any free version of design software (even microsoft paint), some will sketch out their design and scan it in or take a photo and email it across.

By the time you've sifted through submissions to give everyone a fair chance, then reworked the artwork to be print-ready (not always straight forward, especially on any clothing). Then you've spent more time on that than you would if you just handed a brief to a professional designer and got them to create what the client is asking for.

I believe the diagonal design on the home shirt and the sleeves on the away shirt this year are to represent 25 years at Pride Park, but I could be wrong. The look and feel of the kits have been translated across the seasons media graphics and we'll be seeing these angular shapes across ramstv and their social media posts all season. It's not just about designing a top to wear these days. It's the whole package.

Pescara did a competition for fans to design a shirt for their 2020 season and this was voted the winner by the fans. I imagine that we'd get a design of a Ram (with or without an eye in the correct place) with taking a ? on a tree as a submission. Sure, a lot of people might think it's fun and buy it, but essentially it's just a joke kit.

pescara-1.jpg?quality=75&width=1200&auto

I wouldn't be surprised that for the second kit if the design came out and then someone from the office who saw a post on here or Twitter who did a home design with the stadium built in, then said, "hey these sleeves look like Pride Park, we can say that in our statement"

I mean if you were going to incorporate PP into any kit, it would be the home one right?

I think that the stripe feature on the home kit is a little fussy for me.  I can appreciate the aesthetic and the intent, But I think it is just trying too hard.  I think that the third is the best of the lot, nice Colour and a simple no nonsense design.

I actually preferred the pre season special (less the poorly and obviously “in hurry” applied graphic.)

TBH Just giddy at the thought of seeing them all in it tomorrow ready to rock and roll…

COYR!

Andrew

Edited by Guest

I like all three kits, will probably but the away one. 

If they're available without the sponsor that will be even better!

However, I thought the reason we had a choice last year was because of the gambling connection. Not sure we'd have quite the same argument for having a moral  aversion to Rolls Royce, Clowes Developments or Toyota, for example.

3 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I like the home and 3rd kit. Away is okay. Just can’t wait for the tip off prices to be announced. I know it is beyond the control of the club and lies with the manufacturer but prices are ridiculous. For the past few kits I’ve sourced my shirts from elsewhere and the quality is very good. Worn for each game and also for playing in weekly. All for £25. Also kids come with shorts for £25. So £75 for me and my lads to be kitted out. 

Football kit pricing along with pretty much every aspect of football needs addressing. 

‘DHGATE likes this’ 

35 minutes ago, roboto said:

You should see how some of the submissions are sent across. Some people will use professional standard software, some will use any free version of design software (even microsoft paint), some will sketch out their design and scan it in or take a photo and email it across.

By the time you've sifted through submissions to give everyone a fair chance, then reworked the artwork to be print-ready (not always straight forward, especially on any clothing). Then you've spent more time on that than you would if you just handed a brief to a professional designer and got them to create what the client is asking for.

I believe the diagonal design on the home shirt and the sleeves on the away shirt this year are to represent 25 years at Pride Park, but I could be wrong. The look and feel of the kits have been translated across the seasons media graphics and we'll be seeing these angular shapes across ramstv and their social media posts all season. It's not just about designing a top to wear these days. It's the whole package.

Pescara did a competition for fans to design a shirt for their 2020 season and this was voted the winner by the fans. I imagine that we'd get a design of a Ram (with or without an eye in the correct place) with taking a ? on a tree as a submission. Sure, a lot of people might think it's fun and buy it, but essentially it's just a joke kit.

pescara-1.jpg?quality=75&width=1200&auto

Ha, yes, I didn't necessarily mean open it up to the likes of me with some colouring pens and a piece of paper. More taking some inspiration from what people who actually know what they're doing have done!

6 hours ago, Diego said:

Not sure what everyone expects when it's Umbro. They need binning off. 

Not sure what anyone expects whether it's Umbro, Puma Kappa or anyone else. It's a shirt to play football in, that's it.

As long as it isn't completely horrific and it's the right colour, I'm happy.

51 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Ha, yes, I didn't necessarily mean open it up to the likes of me with some colouring pens and a piece of paper. More taking some inspiration from what people who actually know what they're doing have done!

Such as a professional designer? I see we’ve gone round in a circle ?

Just playing with you. I get a bit defensive when people suggest designing stuff is easy. It’s taken me years to get to a position where I can lead a design team and every time we get a fresh junior or intern into the team they have a lot of ideas about how easy it’s going to be and soon realise it’s not the way. Same as with all careers really.

Let’s leave the work to the professionals. We can love it or hate it, but designing stuff for masses is a thankless task.

If you put a buymobiles.net logo on the third kit, it’s basically the 2013-14 away kit, no? Not complaining, just can’t understand the 1996-97 comparison when 2013-14 is so much more similar.

The pictures also remind me just how much the sponsor logo plays into the aesthetic of modern football shirts. I understand why some people prefer kits clear of commercial influence (it’s the club you follow, not an arbitrary brand) but for me personally, it reiterates that the sponsor can make or break a kit.

TBC whether the sponsor improves the design or not…

6 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Why didn't they stick with the home shirt we've been using pre season? Loads nicer imo! 

Disagree to be honest. Looks like they got some random plain white shirts from sports direct (Ashley can't say he got nothing out of us) and got one of the players Mum's to iron on some naff transfers.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta