LG 1 appropriate transfer suggestions

BuckoBeast

I’d be looking at players who have made the fourth division's team of the year.

All but four look out of contract, so there would be some definite bargain squad members/potential gems in there.

Wollacott - Swindon (C)

Guthrie - Northampton 

Clarke - Tranmere

Turnbull - Salford (C)

Wilson - Forest Green Rovers (C)

Dieng - Exeter (C)

Azaz - Newport (loan from Aston Villa)

Cadden - Forest Green Rovers (C)

McKirdy - Swindon (C)

Telford - Newport (C)

Stevens - Forest Green Rovers

Edited by maydrakin

Watching Wrexham v Grimsby, a lad called Mcatee for Grimsby looks a rough diamond. Scored a beauty and created another. 

9 minutes ago, Diego said:

Watching Wrexham v Grimsby, a lad called Mcatee for Grimsby looks a rough diamond. Scored a beauty and created another. 

was just going to post about this lad , looks a handful , he could thrive under the coaching of Rooney

4 hours ago, Magicman said:

Like to Shinnie return to replace Beilik plus Flint at CB to replace Stearman . Plus 5 new mix of wingers / forwards as Lawerence &  Malcolm will go as Stretton is way behind and Bart is not at the level yet.  . 

Who says belika wont sign a new contract and get shinne back as well.

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Who says belika wont sign a new contract and get shinne back as well.

Bielek has already got a contract - the problem is, it will take a large chunk out of our wage budget for next season and we could have 4 players for the same cost. 

6 hours ago, Crewton said:

Bielek has already got a contract - the problem is, it will take a large chunk out of our wage budget for next season and we could have 4 players for the same cost. 

He May well go out on loan for the season or up until January so that he could get a trip to the World Cup - unfortunately he then disappears for two months for the World Cup - it’s going to be a mess 

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He May well go out on loan for the season or up until January so that he could get a trip to the World Cup - unfortunately he then disappears for two months for the World Cup - it’s going to be a mess 

Yes I'm thinking along the same lines, he's most likely to be loaned to a championship club for a fee of £1m to £2m so that we save on the wages, he gets championship football and the club he goes to doesn't commit long term to a player on the back of 2 serious knee injuries.

Reassess next summer.

Edited by Carnero

I agree with you both. The ideal would be to get an offer that allows us to repay the debt to Arsenal, as that would improve cashflow in the immediate future, but that seems unlikely, so a loan with or without an option to buy is more likely. The worst scenario is that he picks up another injury and his value going into the final year of his contract is further reduced. 

On 27/05/2022 at 15:41, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm looking forward to the inevitable "I've been to every home and away game for 200 years so I'm more deserving of an away ticket to Forest Green than Mr X who bought an away membership and never goes to games"

That's me! 

Xavier Van Der MoodHoover Esq, at your service. 

Looking forward to a jaunt to Nailsworth... ?

Since both our goalkeepers are free agents this summer, I thought I'd look at the quality of goalkeepers in League one...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/ranked-the-13-best-goalkeepers-in-league-one-including-sunderland-rotherham-united-sheffield-wednesday-plymouth-argyle-and-portsmouth-stars-3649360%3famp

1. Josh Vickers

The Rotherham shot-stopper has kept 12 clean sheets in his 20 appearances for the Millers this season. Vickers had started 15 league games in a row before missing the defeat to Charlton Athletic at the weekend. He has a clean sheet percentage of 60% this season.

2. Viktor Johansson

Johansson kept nine clean sheets in his 20 appearances this season before he was usurped by Vickers in the Millers goal. He has a clean sheet percentage of 45% this season.

3. Christian Walton

Walton has missed just one Ipswich game since October and has kept 13 clean sheets in 30 appearances for the Tractor Boys this season, giving him a clean sheet percentage of 43.3%.

4. Michael Cooper

Plymouth’s fantastic season to date has been built on the consistency of Cooper in goal. He has featured in every game this season and has conceded just 40 goals, keeping 17 clean sheets in the process. He has a clean sheet percentage of 40.5% this season.

5. Anthony Patterson

Patterson’s recent resurgence to becoming Sunderland’s No.1. was unexpected, but his form in between the posts mean he has become one of the first names on Alex Neil’s team sheet. He has kept six clean sheets in his 15 games for Sunderland, giving him a clean sheet percentage of 40% this season.

26 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

That's me! 

Xavier Van Der MoodHoover Esq, at your service. 

Looking forward to a jaunt to Nailsworth... ?

I know you post in jest, but just having an away membership and not having been to many games is probably not going to get you a ticket to some of the away games.

2 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I know you post in jest, but just having an away membership and not having been to many games is probably not going to get you a ticket to some of the away games.

That's the gamble. Then it becomes a 40 quid donation innit, as I don't expect anything else apart from the chance to buy tickets when I can.

Any away trip is a full day and I work away for most of the week so it can be hard fitting everything in. I'm not saying that I'm entitled to owt. 

On 27/05/2022 at 17:45, Millenniumram said:

Fair play, I assume you’d added those 4 to your list, didn’t look at names ?

Point still stands though. Imo you need a 25 man squad - 2 players for ever position, plus an extra goalkeeper, CDM and striker as those tend to be the spine of your team. It’s a long, gruelling season in League One, with three cup competitions to boot. We’ve seen how having too thin a squad can harm you. What you’ve just listed there would have the same problem as we’ve had this season - no competition for places, and no room for Rotation. Not conducive to success. 

Out of the bolded list, there’s only Hutchinson who we could maybe consider experienced enough to talk about in the first team squad. The rest can’t be considered as options to rely on.

Id see the squad looking like this, excluding players I expect to leave

GK : NEW, NEW, NEW

RB : NEW, NEW (Bardsley?)

CB : NEW (Flint?), Cashin, Stearman, NEW

LB: Buchanan, Forsyth

CDM: Bielik, Bird, Thompson

CM : Knight, Sibley, Ravel, Hutchinson (NEW?)

RW : NEW (Ebiowei back on loan?), NEW (Barkhuizen?)

LW : NEW, NEW

ST : Kazim, NEW (Plange loan extension?), NEW

That looks like a healthier squad, with genuine competition for places and rotation options that we can rely on. Think we have to expect quite a turnover of players given our relegation, I make that 13 signings that we need at first team level at least. Busy summer ahead.

I thought the intention going forward was to improve recruitment???

22 hours ago, Diego said:

From the same match I'd also have a look at Wrexham midfielder Jordan Davies - very similar in style to Craig Bryson. Wrexham failing to gain promotion should make it easier to prise him away.