LG 1 appropriate transfer suggestions

BuckoBeast

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Assuming Lawrence moves on due to being offered more money elsewhere, and both Stearman and Kazim being let go, I see our squad needing:
- a first choice CB (Davies dropping to the bench)
- a first choice CF (Stretton and Cybulski as backup)
- a backup/rotation option on the wing.
- maybe even a backup CF too, since Stretton will need to be managed carefully and Cybulski is still very unproven.

Signings beyond that would only be to replace sales and anyone else choosing not to stay.

Allsop, Roos, Byrne, McDonald, Bardell, Cashin, Davies, Buchanan, Forsyth, Bielik, Watson, Bird, Tommo, Ebiowei, Sibley, Ravel, Hutchinson, Knight, Stretton, Cybulski

Flint is the obvious choice at CB.
CF could any from be Paterson, Ladapo, McGoldrick if they want to stay local. Further afield, Cornick would be a very ambitious signing IMO, he must have a host of Championship suitors. James Norwood and Alfie May likely being cheaper options.
Barkhuizen appears to be an option for us on the wing. Scott Sinclair would be good, and was linked with us before he joined Preston.

Only 4 signings? And a 20 man squad with a number of unproven youngsters? You after League Two lad? We need a lot more than that. A LOT more.

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Only 4 signings? And a 20 man squad with a number of unproven youngsters? You after League Two lad? We need a lot more than that. A LOT more.

Grab your calculator! 20 staying on, plus a minimum of 4 signings (more if any of the 20 don't stay with us). Movement in January too based upon our requirements at the time.

2 players per position, a healthy squad size. Bolstered by the U23s to fill in upon occasion, such as Foulkes, Solomon, DRobinson, Aghatise, Richards, etc...

The two sides who earned automatic promotion only used 24 and 27 players. 9 of those 51 players played less than 270 minutes of football.

By 'unproven youngsters, I assume you mean McDonald, Bardell, Watson, Hutchinson, Stretton and Cybulski. I don't envisage at least 4 of them getting much game time. The others in my opinion have more than shown they're ready for L1 football. Hutchinson is one of the ones I expect we'll release anyway. That'll free up a spot for a more experienced player to come in.

19 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

By 'unproven youngsters, I assume you mean McDonald, Bardell, Watson, Hutchinson, Stretton and Cybulski. I don't envisage at least 4 of them getting much game time. The others in my opinion have more than shown they're ready for L1 football. Hutchinson is one of the ones I expect we'll release anyway. That'll free up a spot for a more experienced player to come in.

I expect to lose at least 3 maybe of that 20 released, with one or two more choosing not to stay, so probably movement of 5-7 players from that 20 mentioned.

The 6 players mentioned have less than 100 EFL games between them and Hutchinson is the most likely to be released to make way for more experience despite having 75 of those EFL games to himself ??

39 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

I expect to lose at least 3 maybe of that 20 released, with one or two more choosing not to stay, so probably movement of 5-7 players from that 20 mentioned.

The 6 players mentioned have less than 100 EFL games between them and Hutchinson is the most likely to be released to make way for more experience despite having 75 of those EFL games to himself ??

With the squad I listed, these are the kind of minutes I would expect to see those 6 make:

McDonald - backup to Byrne. 500 mins (90 mins in 21/22, cup only)
Bardell - 4th choice CB. 270 mins
Watson - 4th behind Bielik, Bird, Tommo. 500 mins (414 mins in 21/22, league and cup)
Hutchinson - 1000 mins (156 mins in 21/22, cup only)
Stretton & Cybulski - 800 mins (521 mins in 21/22, league and cup)

I don't think it's too unreasonable to see them step up their contributions slightly

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

If there is truth in those 3 joining they would be good, solid additions. 

Bardsley has got to back a backup option to Byrne. Only 11 games across the last 2 seasons, with only 90 minutes played since last September. Only 3 minutes in the league since October 2020. Good person to have around the squad though.

Flint a starter.

Barkhuizen hopefully in rotation with Ebiowei, Sibley and Knight rather than replacing any of them.

10 minutes ago, Jase116 said:

Won’t it be nice to get back to slagging off every player we sign!!! ????

I actually can’t wait. I’m sure some won’t be mentally prepared for the level of players we will be signing, still questioning if they will be good enough to play in the Premier League.

Been a while since there has been genuine entertainment on this forum, roll on next week!

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Grab your calculator! 20 staying on, plus a minimum of 4 signings (more if any of the 20 don't stay with us). Movement in January too based upon our requirements at the time.

2 players per position, a healthy squad size. Bolstered by the U23s to fill in upon occasion, such as Foulkes, Solomon, DRobinson, Aghatise, Richards, etc...

The two sides who earned automatic promotion only used 24 and 27 players. 9 of those 51 players played less than 270 minutes of football.

By 'unproven youngsters, I assume you mean McDonaldBardell, Watson, Hutchinson, Stretton and Cybulski. I don't envisage at least 4 of them getting much game time. The others in my opinion have more than shown they're ready for L1 football. Hutchinson is one of the ones I expect we'll release anyway. That'll free up a spot for a more experienced player to come in.

Fair play, I assume you’d added those 4 to your list, didn’t look at names ?

Point still stands though. Imo you need a 25 man squad - 2 players for ever position, plus an extra goalkeeper, CDM and striker as those tend to be the spine of your team. It’s a long, gruelling season in League One, with three cup competitions to boot. We’ve seen how having too thin a squad can harm you. What you’ve just listed there would have the same problem as we’ve had this season - no competition for places, and no room for Rotation. Not conducive to success. 

Out of the bolded list, there’s only Hutchinson who we could maybe consider experienced enough to talk about in the first team squad. The rest can’t be considered as options to rely on.

Id see the squad looking like this, excluding players I expect to leave

GK : NEW, NEW, NEW

RB : NEW, NEW (Bardsley?)

CB : NEW (Flint?), Cashin, Stearman, NEW

LB: Buchanan, Forsyth

CDM: Bielik, Bird, Thompson

CM : Knight, Sibley, Ravel, Hutchinson (NEW?)

RW : NEW (Ebiowei back on loan?), NEW (Barkhuizen?)

LW : NEW, NEW

ST : Kazim, NEW (Plange loan extension?), NEW

That looks like a healthier squad, with genuine competition for places and rotation options that we can rely on. Think we have to expect quite a turnover of players given our relegation, I make that 13 signings that we need at first team level at least. Busy summer ahead.

5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Point still stands though. Imo you need a 25 man squad - 2 players for ever position, plus an extra goalkeeper, CDM and striker as those tend to be the spine of your team. It’s a long, gruelling season in League One, with three cup competitions to boot. We’ve seen how having too thin a squad can harm you. What you’ve just listed there would have the same problem as we’ve had this season - no competition for places, and no room for Rotation. Not conducive to success. 

Out of the bolded list, there’s only Hutchinson who we could maybe consider experienced enough to talk about in the first team squad. The rest can’t be considered as options to rely on.

That looks like a healthier squad, with genuine competition for places and rotation options that we can rely on. Think we have to expect quite a turnover of players given our relegation, I make that 13 signings that we need at first team level at least. Busy summer ahead.

Kazim is leaving isn’t he and why no Curtis?

25 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Can’t see Stearman staying unless he is assured of seriously more playing time than he got last season.

Hutchinson will be released.

Kazim has all but confirmed he’s been released.

Plange will not get the goals you hope he would in league 1. 

Just read that Conor McGrandles is leaving Lincoln. Don’t know a great deal about him having not seen much league one, but the Lincoln fans seem gutted, he’s a 26 year old midfielder who was their captain last year. 
Potentially the kind of profile player I’d want/expect us to sign, on a free, good experience at this level, well thought of at his former club and leadership credentials too. Though midfield is one of the areas we’ve actually got players, someone like this coming in might free up the sale or loan option for Bielik.

We've got to get a good mix of both experience and some potential. 

I think Flint(upgrade on Stearman) would be a great addition as would Bardsley.

I'd be looking at Notts County's front three of Rodriguez, Roberts and Wootton. Wootton is out of contract as well(plenty of clubs sniffing). Their manager has just left for FGR and they managed 56 goals between them last year, all a good age and probably worth a gamble. You'd imagine with them being local that we'd know about them, It's the front line that needs a revamp as well. 

Rooney seemed fairly confident in finding players whenever he's spoken about recruitment which is promising. The few deals he did last year were mostly successful and although frustrating it's good to hear he was looking at players such as Adebayo(previously of Walsall) at Luton, he's obviously looking in the rights areas. 

Lastly, would not he surprised to see Shinnie return. He barely got a kick at Wigan ? guess it all depends on who we managed to keep hold of. 

Edited by Cl_ram7

13 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

This NEW bloke is going to be kept busy. ?

Seriously tho, I think Davies will stay and we'll add an experienced but younger CB, I think McDonald is a good enough back-up and may even establish himself, I think Kaz will leave and be replaced by 2 experienced strikers supplemented by Stretton and Cybulski.