LG 1 appropriate transfer suggestions

BuckoBeast

6 minutes ago, Oldben said:

They have almost zero resale value.

At their age, their unlikely to improve.

They don't need to improve nor retain resale value. They simply need to stabilise the club and hopefully enable us to return to the championship sooner rather later. We're not going to be going on a spending spree. We'll be looking at OOC players and loans and frankly, that's all we need do in the immediate term. Be lovely to secure a couple of gems for the future but that's more likely via the academy than the transfer market, this summer at least. The point I was making was that older players do have their purposes and Jags, Curtis and Gregory having all done well for us illustrates the point.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

5 hours ago, Oldben said:

Can't do that as could easily lead to relegation. 

Adding only frees and loans to a squad which would have ordinarily avoided relegation from the Championship, will be at risk of being relegated to League 2?

I do agree expectation can't be for absolute best players, but buying players as well as free agents is a must.

Paying fees is not a must. After all, we haven't paid a fee for any player since Summer 2020, yet would have avoided relegation from the Championship.

If we sign players older than 32, theres a season in them but then they could still be playing for us, thats senseless.

Who said we'd be giving multiple year contracts to players with only "a season in them"? Signing players younger than 32 on long contracts who won't be good enough for the Championship would also be senseless. Getting someone like Jagielka signed up for a year would be very good recruitment. It would mean we can sign a better and more long term player in when we return to the Championship.

A 35 year old striker will not score above 10 goals in a season, and we require a 20 goal a season strike if we are to compete in league 1.

Again, where do you get "35 year old striker" from?

35 year old winger McCleary scored 11 this season.
35 year old Cameron Jerome scored 13 in 20/21 (34 apps).
35 year old Joe Jacobsen scored 11 from LB in 19/20 (33 apps)
40 year old Akinfenwa score 10 in 19/20 (35 apps)

Can't be bothered to search further back than that.

Two years we've spent almost nothing on players, it's enough.

Frees vs fees in the past few years, I know which list I'd pick.

Frees: Plange, Baldock, Stearman, Allsop, Jagielka, Ravel, te Wierik, Ibe, Marshall, Kazim, Shinnie, Rooney, Cole, Ambrose, Ledley

Fees: Jozwiak, Byrne, Bielik, Waghorn, Marriott, Jozefzoon, Holmes, Malone, Evans, Lawrence, Wisdom, Huddlestone, Jerome, Davies, Vydra, Anya, Nugent

Give me many more frees please!!!

Efl are likely to place restrictions on signings until after the debt situation is sorted, but they are not saying transfers can't be made.

I'll be very surprised if we're allowed to pay a fee to sign players this summer.

L1 is physical fast moving, with some former Premier league teams already playing in it.

And they're still in League 1. That suggests they're no better than clubs who have never been in the Premier League

Edited by Ghost of Clough

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Adding only frees and loans to a squad which would have ordinarily avoided relegation from the Championship, will be at risk of being relegated to League 2?

Paying fees is not a must. After all, we haven't paid a fee for any player since Summer 2020, yet would have avoided relegation from the Championship.

Who said we'd be giving multiple year contracts to players with only "a season in them"? Signing players younger than 32 on long contracts who won't be good enough for the Championship would also be senseless. Getting someone like Jagielka signed up for a year would be very good recruitment. It would mean we can sign a better and more long term player in when we return to the Championship.

Again, where do you get "35 year old striker from"?

Frees: Plange, Baldock, Stearman, Allsop, Jagielka, Ravel, te Wierik, Ibe, Marshall, Kazim, Shinnie, Rooney, Cole, Ambrose, Ledley

Fees: Jozwiak, Byrne, Bielik, Waghorn, Marriott, Jozefzoon, Holmes, Malone, Evans, Lawrence, Wisdom, Huddlestone, Jerome, Davies, Vydra, Anya, Nugent

I'll be very surprised if we're allowed to pay a fee to sign players this summer.

And they're still in League 1. That suggests they're no better than clubs who have never been in the Premier League

GoC be like...

giphy.gif

Wycombe earned promotion in 19/20 and were close to doing so again this season.
They have only ever paid a fee for a player 20 times in their entire history, with the last time being just over £100k in 10/11. 

Rotherham are THE L1-Championship yo-yo team and even they rarely pay fees for players. Since we flogged Rowett off to Stoke, they've only paid for Crooks (£200k), Lindsay (£200k), Clarke (£100k), Ladapo (£500k) and Barlaser (£250k). They only paid that because they made almost £5m worth of player sales over that time.

Some decent League 1 players released, a couple we have been linked with previously like Niasse & Ladapo, both id take & think are Rooneys type of forwards. Tom Carroll who was with us last summer. Id take Sam Hutchinson from Sheff W, decent CB. Then there is McGeady & Will Grigg.

On 25/05/2022 at 10:55, Ghost of Clough said:

Again, where do you get "35 year old striker" from?

The way you just shot Oldben down with such precision and accuracy, makes me think you could be related the Ghost of Kyiv!

I think we also need to look at prolific goalscorers in the National and Conference leagues.

Every year it seems a couple are snapped up.

We are one of the best footballing teams outside the premier league but we lack a natural goal poacher.

Also, some of the crosses put in last year were crying out for a guy who can head the ball.

I reckon even an old pro like Jerome would have scored ten last season.

Combination of youth and experience to support (hopefully) Ebiowei.

Assuming Lawrence moves on due to being offered more money elsewhere, and both Stearman and Kazim being let go, I see our squad needing:
- a first choice CB (Davies dropping to the bench)
- a first choice CF (Stretton and Cybulski as backup)
- a backup/rotation option on the wing.
- maybe even a backup CF too, since Stretton will need to be managed carefully and Cybulski is still very unproven.

Signings beyond that would only be to replace sales and anyone else choosing not to stay.

Allsop, Roos, Byrne, McDonald, Bardell, Cashin, Davies, Buchanan, Forsyth, Bielik, Watson, Bird, Tommo, Ebiowei, Sibley, Ravel, Hutchinson, Knight, Stretton, Cybulski

Flint is the obvious choice at CB.
CF could any from be Paterson, Ladapo, McGoldrick if they want to stay local. Further afield, Cornick would be a very ambitious signing IMO, he must have a host of Championship suitors. James Norwood and Alfie May likely being cheaper options.
Barkhuizen appears to be an option for us on the wing. Scott Sinclair would be good, and was linked with us before he joined Preston.

I feel striker is a real position we have to strengthen with 2 maybe 3 signings this season.

Alfie May, Cole Stockton, Dominic Telford, Harry McKirdy all scored 20+ goals in L1 or L2 this season and are on Frees other than maybe Stockton.

I am just looking forward to us signing players. 

Edited by kingsy1884

39 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Will Grigg age 30 released by Sunderland not had a great time there but maybe worth taking a punt on.

32 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Struggled to make an impact at Rotherham last season too

Put a green away shirt on him and he may score us the goals to bring away wins.

Thinking outside the box, blue sky thinking, oh I am need back in the asylum. Coming matron.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Assuming Lawrence moves on due to being offered more money elsewhere, and both Stearman and Kazim being let go, I see our squad needing:
- a first choice CB (Davies dropping to the bench)
- a first choice CF (Stretton and Cybulski as backup)
- a backup/rotation option on the wing.
- maybe even a backup CF too, since Stretton will need to be managed carefully and Cybulski is still very unproven.

Signings beyond that would only be to replace sales and anyone else choosing not to stay.

Allsop, Roos, Byrne, McDonald, Bardell, Cashin, Davies, Buchanan, Forsyth, Bielik, Watson, Bird, Tommo, Ebiowei, Sibley, Ravel, Hutchinson, Knight, Stretton, Cybulski

Flint is the obvious choice at CB.
CF could any from be Paterson, Ladapo, McGoldrick if they want to stay local. Further afield, Cornick would be a very ambitious signing IMO, he must have a host of Championship suitors. James Norwood and Alfie May likely being cheaper options.
Barkhuizen appears to be an option for us on the wing. Scott Sinclair would be good, and was linked with us before he joined Preston.

Why would you drop Davies to the bench? Stears would be suitable backup.

Stretton & Cybulski aren't good enough striker back up. Need two strikers in. Spend the money there.

If we'd had better goal-scorers last season we might not even have been relegated. Nothing wrong with the defence.

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Stretton & Cybulski aren't good enough striker back up. Need two strikers in. Spend the money there.

If we'd had better goal-scorers last season we might not even have been relegated. Nothing wrong with the defence.

I think if Flint does sign and we can re-sign Stearman, Davies and Cashin that gives us a solid enough defence for next season. If there is a younger option out there to sign instead of/as well as Stearman I would want to see that just so there is a tiny bit of future proofing within the squad. I think Curtis will play on for one more year so having someone in the squad with a view beyond that would be sensible.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Davies would have been playing through the pain to do everything he could to keep us up (until we were down), and then to ensure he played every minute of every game. We can't rely on him at his age and injury record to play more than half a season. Stearman also isn't good enough. The time is right to get a replacement in. Someone like Flint would do a job for us if we return straight back to the Championship.

In my opinion, Stretton is good enough for L1, but can't stay fit long enough to get a run in the side. He actually had the best minutes per goal record in our side last season. If the budget is tight, we should only sign 1 CF. Stretton, Cybulski, Ravel to cover. Obviously, a 2nd CF would be a big boost to our promotion chances.

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I think if Flint does sign and we can re-sign Stearman, Davies and Cashin that gives us a solid enough defence for next season. If there is a younger option out there to sign instead of/as well as Stearman I would want to see that just so there is a tiny bit of future proofing within the squad. I think Curtis will play on for one more year so having someone in the squad with a view beyond that would be sensible.

I'd always go with 3 senior CBs and a youngerster coming through to play the odd game in an injury crisis. Similar to this last season, we started with Davies, Jagielka and Stearman as senior CBs, with Cashin as 4th choice.

Cashin, Flint and Davies as senior picks for this upcoming season. We then have Buchanan and Forsyth who could step in before we need to use Bardell.