Finance thread 2022.

Rev

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Good post Uttox...just like to put my five Penarth in.

"Union Barron's" will always be at odds with their Bosses either public or private sector, Mick Lynch is beginning to slowly lose his workforce, I've a mate that's works for the RMT at Derby, The money lost through strikes at this time of year his words is close to £2k, There are already rumblings of dissatisfaction with their elected leaders, Our train system in the UK is shyte, Cancelled, Overcrowded, Pi$$ poor carriages, Why is this...privatisation, Those privatised train services hive off their profits to their money men, Privatisation has been a phucking disaster for the UK worker, And we sleepwalk to our paymaster whether home based owners or foreign. 

I use the term "Union Barons" as this is a war between the working man and the Government altho the Government will say we're doing our best...Bo***x to that, Union leaders are elected by the workforce, Not necessarily in a fare and balanced way...McClusky at unite with his longer term pay packet when he should have retired and his battle with Jerry Hicks ex Union leader of RR in Bristol shows what a rigged ballot can do, It's all about POWER! and influence...and who suffers...the working man...it's a game played with the working mans life/future.

We have a busted system in the UK and have had for Centauries, Where the rich get richer on the back of a worker, The worker who just wants a little more for those nice things in life, The owners want to keep their feet on our backs because if they release that foot we want more, How can a Government pay 10s of 1000s of £s to agencies for a Doctor instead of paying for a decent pay rise...17% asking is a non starter 10% yes, But this then starts a ball rolling for all other Government workers as a base settlement. 

The answer to all this strife is...lock all in a room and if they come to no agreement then a Cat o Nine Tails awaits...for all ? 

The wheel has been invented, But we're told we have to change with the times, At RR we were paid also double time on a Sunday, Time and a half on Saturday and time and a third in week, A vote was taken and delivered a win for RR to pay overtime across the board of time and a half, There was of course a money inducement to vote this way...as there always is at RR like a 2 week bonus every year if RR made a profit...JCB near you do the same and pay good money.

My last word for the minute...pay the working person a decent wedge and you'll get a good service, Take the pi$$ and you end up with a situation we have now...it's a battle and the winner takes all, Power to the Toll Puddle Martyr's ?     

Quick question Alf. What is a working person? Aren’t there 30 million of us in the Uk including me? 

Financially it's becoming tough to justify to stay in the UK for me and my partner. She's an NHS worker and I work for a global company. If we moved to let's say Canada, she'd be earning nearly 3 times what she earns here and I'd still be earning a fair amount if I moved internally within the company.

The amount they pay nurses in this country in comparison to Australia, Canada etc is abysmal. They're quite happy to pay middle management a fair wack, who contribute far less to the running of the service. No wonder 100s of front line health workers migrate elsewhere every year. She told me last night if she was single she'd pack her bags and live somewhere else for work. We've done the sums and it would make sense to leave. Which is embarrassing to be honest, considering I'm meant to live in one of the wealthiest nations on earth.

3 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

A person that is working.

I agree with this. So when Mr Lynch claims to be fighting for working class or the working man as you call it, I shall say working person inclusive and all that. Is lynch fighting for me? And for the 30 million other employed people? 

Edited by PistoldPete

7 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

I agree with this. So when Mr Lynch claims to be fighting for working class is he fighting for me? And for the 30 million other employed people? 

It's one of the great switcheroos of the right wing - they have managed to convince many that they belong in the middle class and so the fight of those pesky working classes will only serve to take money from you. Think Hyacinth Bouquet, if you're old enough. In a survey in the US only 10% of Americans considered themselves to be working class and only 1% upper class (I know, it's not the UK but still). It's why we have people who really get no benefit from it voting Tory, they convince themselves the tax cuts are for them because to admit the opposite is to somehow admit you're looking up rather than looking down.

And the second scam of all time is the percentage sign - "all employees are getting a 3% pay rise" means a very different thing if you are on £20k or £250k. Same with taxes, people vote Tory because they still believe a 1% tax cut saves them 1%. It doesn't, it just returns a little less to your pocket than anyone wealthier to you - so widening the gap further.

BTW - I'm not ranting at you, apologies if it sounds that way. Just replying to the thread with some thoughts.

Edited by BaaLocks

16 hours ago, Rev said:

My point was that raising interest rates doesn't attract inward investment, otherwise the market would be pouring into Argentina. 

We've got things arse about tit in this country, imo.

We've ended up in a situation where we pay state owned Foreign companies to run crucial parts of our infrastructure, so they can take the profits back home to subsidise their national services, how on earth did that happen? 

Yet we don't question it, because we've been brainwashed that the state knows best, and if there was an alternative we'd pursue it.

We've had a decade, maybe more of historically low inflation and interest rates, and yet have kept most public sector pay packets from even keeping pace with those lows, and now the Government have the nerve to deny those very same servants the chance to keep pace with the cost of living.

Ask Sid

People kept voting Tory in the 80s while they sold the things we all owned. The rest of Europe laughed at us. They are laughing even louder now

6 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

It's one of the great switcheroos of the right wing - they have managed to convince many that they belong in the middle class and so the fight of those pesky working classes will only serve to take money from you. Think Hyacinth Bouquet, if you're old enough. In a survey in the US only 10% of Americans considered themselves to be working class and only 1% upper class (I know, it's not the UK but still). It's why we have people who really get no benefit from it voting Tory, they convince themselves the tax cuts are for them because to admit the opposite is to somehow admit you're looking up rather than looking down.

And the second scam of all time is the percentage sign - "all employees are getting a 3% pay rise" means a very different thing if you are on £20k or £250k. Same with taxes, people vote Tory because they still believe a 1% tax cut saves them 1%. It doesn't, it just returns a little less to your pocket than anyone wealthier to you - so widening the gap further.

BTW - I'm not ranting at you, apologies if it sounds that way. Just replying to the thread with some thoughts.

Good to see politics rearing it’s ugly head and someone claiming to know why everyone that does votes Tory. 

16 hours ago, Rev said:

My point was that raising interest rates doesn't attract inward investment, otherwise the market would be pouring into Argentina. 

We've got things arse about tit in this country, imo.

We've ended up in a situation where we pay state owned Foreign companies to run crucial parts of our infrastructure, so they can take the profits back home to subsidise their national services, how on earth did that happen? 

Yet we don't question it, because we've been brainwashed that the state knows best, and if there was an alternative we'd pursue it.

We've had a decade, maybe more of historically low inflation and interest rates, and yet have kept most public sector pay packets from even keeping pace with those lows, and now the Government have the nerve to deny those very same servants the chance to keep pace with the cost of living.

Deleted my original reply because I think we should get back on theme and talk about tips and ideas to help people cope with the cost of living crisis.

Edited by Tamworthram

57 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

I agree with this. So when Mr Lynch claims to be fighting for working class or the working man as you call it, I shall say working person inclusive and all that. Is lynch fighting for me? And for the 30 million other employed people? 

That's a question you'll have to ask him, Mick Lynch is a good orator as you have to be in his position, Mick Lynch has an agenda, An agenda set by his fellow Union Reps, Meetings will have been had, Words will have been said and votes been taken, Once a ballot has been taken for strike action it is then out of the hands of the workforce(male and female)and in the hands of a committee of peoples.

If I have a criticism it's this...I was once told many years ago by an old hand in the Union(GMBMU)you hit em when the Union are strongest and when the companies are doing well, We're in a cost of living crisis that's affecting far far too many people, It's these people who will be taking the hit...public opinion will win the day...but who's going to win the public opinion? 

PS you can no longer get packs of 4 baked beans at Aldi, As they're not making a bigger profit margin so we have to buy single tins.

Edited by Unlucky Alf

40 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Deleted my original reply because I think we should get back on theme and talk about tips and ideas to help people cope with the cost of living crisis.

Tips, Don't watch TV at night with the lights on, Stagger the use of your Central Heating, Walk instead of using your car, Wrap up with more clothing, And take a sheep to bed to keep warm.

33 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

If you're about two thirds - three quarters of the way through a car PCP deal and you intend to keep the car after your contract ends, look to see if you would be able to reduce your monthly payments by taking out a loan to pay off the remaining finance over two or three more years.

End result; you have a 5 or 6 year old car fully paid for, which should still have higher residuals than any deposit you put down and you've saved a bit of interest.

8 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Tips, Don't watch TV at night with the lights on, Stagger the use of your Central Heating, Walk instead of using your car, Wrap up with more clothing, And take a sheep to bed to keep warm.

Very bad for your eyes though watching a bright screen in darkness. Should at least have a lamp (or a Christmas tree) as an alternative source of light.

Shut internal doors when you've got the heating on and yell at anyone who leaves them open is my tip on heating. Dogs and cats also make good alternatives to blankets and you're already paying for them.

If you're doing DIY, arts and crafts, have just moved out and need glasses/cutlery etc, plants, old video games or want to get rid of something big that the tip will charge you for, Freecycle is your friend.

Obviously there's a few Internet weirdo's out there who will advertise used mattresses (only a few stains) and the like but it's amazing what some people will give away for free.

Paving slabs, tools, tins of paint, furniture.

Worth a quick browse before spending any money for sure.

43 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Very bad for your eyes though watching a bright screen in darkness. Should at least have a lamp (or a Christmas tree) as an alternative source of light.

Shut internal doors when you've got the heating on and yell at anyone who leaves them open is my tip on heating. Dogs and cats also make good alternatives to blankets and you're already paying for them.

Nowt wrong with my i-sight yoof

giphy.gif

49 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

If you're about two thirds - three quarters of the way through a car PCP deal and you intend to keep the car after your contract ends, look to see if you would be able to reduce your monthly payments by taking out a loan to pay off the remaining finance over two or three more years.

End result; you have a 5 or 6 year old car fully paid for, which should still have higher residuals than any deposit you put down and you've saved a bit of interest.

Great advice, I can give an example. 

I was paying £400 a month on a PCP, with a year to go of 4.

Paying off the PCP a year early saved not only £4800 in future payments, but saved another £1200 quid over and above the balloon payment for early settlement, made up just by interest payments. 

When I looked at a personal loan to settle the total amount over a 3 years, the payments were only £50 a month more, and I'd actually own the car at the end, rather than the dealer.

In the end, I sold it to a car buying service, banked £7k cash, and the car is currently listed on Cazoo for £600 less than I received, having been serviced and sporting refurbished wheels.

2 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Yes.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Apologies for derailing a thread I started, specifically to avoid such debates and offer practical advice!

I'd make a fine transport minister, or head honcho of Railtrack.

4 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Mick Lynch is fighting for RMT members, thats his job. He's been elected by his fellow workers to represent them. If, by his leadership, the RMT workers get to keep their current working conditions and get a pay rise then he's done a good job for them.

I'm not sure what point you are making but I assume you mean you don't want Lynch to include you when he says he's fighting for working people, I get that. I would suggest that he means people who work at shop floor level in manufacturing, retail, warehousing, cleaning, catering etc.

Some working people are very happy with their jobs, conditions and wages so yes, Lynch probably isn't fighting for them as such. If you're in that group then fair play to you, count your blessings and perhaps offer a bit of support for those less well paid and struggling to pay the bills.