Finance thread 2022.

Rev

Maybe strike later in the year when hopefully the economy will be recovering. Accept what's offered now and review later this year or early next year. Doing it now is only making things worse for everyone. That goes for all strikes. Do it if not happy with the situation but not at the moment.

Edited by TimRam

38 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Maybe strike later in the year when hopefully the economy will be recovering. Accept what's offered now and review later this year or early next year. Doing it now is only making things worse for everyone. That goes for all strikes. Do it if not happy with the situation but not at the moment.

That's Politics fella

200w.gif.cc2b283a6ba7399697105d09e3cbf109.gif

11 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

It’s time to call Sky again as they have increased my rate by stealth by £10 this month and looks like another £10 on top of that for Feb. I will call to badger for a better deal but what are the alternatives ? Don’t fancy Virgin as they still want to knock holes in the  walls. 
Are the fire stick things legal ? What is the best stand alone broadband without the telly ?

Thanks all in advance 

The normal 'better deal' route with Sky is ring them (ask to be put through to retentions) to give your 31 days notice of cancellation (tv only, if you have broadband you never cancel it, you go to the new provider for them to notify Sky).

They might offer you a deal when you ask to cancel but it is highly unlikely it will be as good a deal as you'll get closer to cancelling or if you go through with it, after you've left. If you get 'cold feet' after giving your cancellation notice you can change your mind at any time, indeed even after cancellation it's a near instantaneous switch back on - unless you've sent back a Sky Q box that is. Read some of the deals people have got on MSE forums. Where actually the current post says they got offered the same deal as they were on at first attempt at haggling...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5480644/sky-tv-retention-deals-post-your-haggling-successes#latest

Edited by RoyMac5

11 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

It’s time to call Sky again as they have increased my rate by stealth by £10 this month and looks like another £10 on top of that for Feb. I will call to badger for a better deal but what are the alternatives ? Don’t fancy Virgin as they still want to knock holes in the  walls. 
Are the fire stick things legal ? What is the best stand alone broadband without the telly ?

Thanks all in advance 

I binned my Sky Sports at the end of November...the football coverage and the football was not doing it for me ?, Coming to the end of my contract so they offered same deal for £13 less, My Son a few months earlier was paying £140 for the lot that Sky do, He rang them and said cancel, They sent him some boxes to send equipment back...then he gets the magic call, Got the same package for...wait for it...£85.

I now have the basic Sky but a Fire TV...what a piece of kit ?, I pick up football through Vebo, It's hit and miss but it's free ?

Ah @Reggie GreenwoodI've just read your post more closely and you ask for other options. If you look on the MSE forum there are other suggestions there for tv/BB and also threads on haggling with them.

If you go somewhere that is a comparison site then it will give you suggestions for deals that are available to you, as not all providers will necessarily be available in your area.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/compare-broadband-deals/tv-broadband/

I'd like to point out that I don't have a firestick that gets sky sports, bt sports, sky movies, all EFL games, 1000s of films and 1000s of tv series.

Just to be clear, I don't have one of these little marvels and cancelling Sky Sports  has left me heartbroken. 

7 minutes ago, sage said:

I'd like to point out that I don't have a firestick that gets sky sports, bt sports, sky movies, all EFL games, 1000s of films and 1000s of tv series.

Just to be clear, I don't have one of these little marvels and cancelling Sky Sports  has left me heartbroken. 

Eventually there will be no Sky Sports to rip off because there'll be no-one actually paying Sky. ?

58 minutes ago, sage said:

and players will have to cope with £5k a week, boo hoo

Nope, Worldwide the Premier League is a competition that their TV stations want, The Premier League will only get richer if and when Sky bail...but they wont tho will they, BT might as Now TV and Amazon are pulling in viewers as a daily/weekly or monthly subscription is what the punter wants.

We're not far away from the Premier League agreeing to play games in far off lands, Clubs will fall over themselves to get these deals as the foreign football fan wants to see these games...money for very little, The home fan will be the one that has to take the hit...the NFL are a good example  

7 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Nope, Worldwide the Premier League is a competition that their TV stations want, The Premier League will only get richer if and when Sky bail...but they wont tho will they, BT might as Now TV and Amazon are pulling in viewers as a daily/weekly or monthly subscription is what the punter wants.

We're not far away from the Premier League agreeing to play games in far off lands, Clubs will fall over themselves to get these deals as the foreign football fan wants to see these games...money for very little, The home fan will be the one that has to take the hit...the NFL are a good example  

it was a joke, but thanks for the effort put in

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Most of my expendable income has gone on increased interest rates and energy bills. Obviously, I'm one of the lucky ones as I can still pay bills and food shopping.

Still not heard any good reason why putting interests up won't just kill off businesses, or reduce inflation caused by war in Ukraine, expense to import from Europe and massive vacancies in certain industries.

Is the idea to drive up unenmployment, so wages can go lower?

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Most of my expendable income has gone on increased interest rates and energy bills. Obviously, I'm one of the lucky ones as I can still pay bills and food shopping.

Still not heard any good reason why putting interests up won't just kill off businesses, or reduce inflation caused by war in Ukraine, expense to import from Europe and massive vacancies in certain industries.

Is the idea to drive up unenmployment, so wages can go lower?

The age old premise is that it'll help control, or even reduce inflation. The question I would be asking is, at what cost? I'm lucky in that I don't need to worry too much but a lot of pals of mine are hurting badly already. It's pretty grim tbh as there seems no end in sight. While small businesses crumble, many global entities are recording record profits. Make of that what you will ?

• 2 weeks later...

So I just very nearly moved employers for the first time in many years and still wondering if I made the right decision, the new place have been a pay increase to $130k with a 10% bonus per year. I'm currently on $100k and my current employer just offered me this -

$115k, $20k bonus to stay, ability to fly home to the UK and work odd weeks here and there and a promotion in the next year.

This company has been good to me for years so I stayed. Also got 31 days holiday this year compared to the 10 I would have got at the new place. I think whatever decision I made would have been the wrong one but hey ho no point in worrying about it now

15 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

So I just very nearly moved employers for the first time in many years and still wondering if I made the right decision, the new place have been a pay increase to $130k with a 10% bonus per year. I'm currently on $100k and my current employer just offered me this -

$115k, $20k bonus to stay, ability to fly home to the UK and work odd weeks here and there and a promotion in the next year.

This company has been good to me for years so I stayed. Also got 31 days holiday this year compared to the 10 I would have got at the new place. I think whatever decision I made would have been the wrong one but hey ho no point in worrying about it now

10 days holiday! You made the right choice!