Finance thread 2022.

Rev

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Bamford inherited his vast wealth and the JCB empire from his father. What he's done is been very single minded in increasing that wealth, doing whats best for himself and his family.

Working people should emulate the traits that Bamford has shown and do the same for themselves. If that means fighting for better pay, better overtime rates, more sociable hours then they should be applauded for showing the same traits as the people who make fortunes out of their labour.

The balance has tipped too far in favour of the very rich. As billionaires increase their wealth and their numbers, working people find it tougher and tougher to make ends meet. The trickle down is reversed, years and years of austerity and public utility privatisations transfer money from the bottom to the top.

Its nowt to do with hating people who do ok for themselves, I don't hate people who organise and fight for a bigger share of the country's wealth, in fact I wish more of us did it.

He’s done more for the British economy than you and I, the bamford

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Bamford inherited his vast wealth and the JCB empire from his father. What he's done is been very single minded in increasing that wealth, doing whats best for himself and his family.

Working people should emulate the traits that Bamford has shown and do the same for themselves. If that means fighting for better pay, better overtime rates, more sociable hours then they should be applauded for showing the same traits as the people who make fortunes out of their labour.

The balance has tipped too far in favour of the very rich. As billionaires increase their wealth and their numbers, working people find it tougher and tougher to make ends meet. The trickle down is reversed, years and years of austerity and public utility privatisations transfer money from the bottom to the top.

Its nowt to do with hating people who do ok for themselves, I don't hate people who organise and fight for a bigger share of the country's wealth, in fact I wish more of us did it.

This is one of those "classy if you're rich, trashy if you're poor" examples. 

Receiving cash handouts. 

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Bamford also forefront for green technology and employs and trains a highly skilled workforce, we need more people with lots of money who can invest and produce goods people want and creative wealth, and invest in people.

£100 million was invested into this project.

https://www.jcb.com/en-gb/news/2022/06/worlds-first-hydrogen-digger-parades-for-the-queen

Edited by cstand

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Haha, not disputing that or calling him a bamford for that matter.

He has been prepared to use whatever methods he can to be successful, including tax dodging, making huge donations to the Conservative party locally and nationally, and lobbying government to keep the dice loaded his way. I'm not really moaning about it tbh, just stating how it works.

My point is that working people should be a bit more on the front foot as regards doing the same. We cant dodge tax, the vast majority are PAYE, but we could fight for better public services, working conditions etc. The unions should either force Labour to commit to this or cut the affiliation and start again.

Too much of the wealth created in this country is now sitting in tax havens instead of circulating amongst people who will spend it.

The balance is always fragile but the last 30 or 40 years has tilted it too far to the benefit of billionaires and away from working folk.

47 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

This Bamford "debate" is really pointless. The criticism is around Bamford paying for the wedding of the disgraced former PM, who was removed by his own party for putting a known sexual predator into a position of power, then lying about it.

Surely most of the debates on this, and other, forums are in reality pointless. We can talk about whether football should have been cancelled this weekend but it’s pointless as we’re not going to change anything. We can argue whether any of the goals in the Plymouth game were offside or not but that’s also pointless, the result still stands. We either accept that many of the topics are nothing more than an opportunity to express our views or we shut the forum down.

13 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Surely most of the debates on this, and other, forums are in reality pointless. We can talk about whether football should have been cancelled this weekend but it’s pointless as we’re not going to change anything. We can argue whether any of the goals in the Plymouth game were offside or not but that’s also pointless, the result still stands. We either accept that many of the topics are nothing more than an opportunity to express our views or we shut the forum down.

The 2nd goal was defiantly offside 

45 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe pointless was the wrong word. Highly confused might be better.

As it's a finance thread.

The other day on the radio, they were talking to pub bosses, who were talking about charging £20 a pint due to rising costs of everything.

Now, I don't drink, and haven't for nearly 30 years. I don't know what a pint costs now, and I can't remember how much it was when I bought my last one. I do remember though, that when I started , it was 16p. That was for M&B mild. I drank that partly because I liked it, but mainly because it was the cheapest. Bitter was 17p, and I think Lager was 19p. 

So if you drink, is there a cut off point , cost wise, which you wouldn't pay? £5, £10, £20?

5 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

The other day on the radio, they were talking to pub bosses, who were talking about charging £20 a pint due to rising costs of everything.

Now, I don't drink, and haven't for nearly 30 years. I don't know what a pint costs now, and I can't remember how much it was when I bought my last one. I do remember though, that when I started , it was 16p. That was for M&B mild. I drank that partly because I liked it, but mainly because it was the cheapest. Bitter was 17p, and I think Lager was 19p. 

So if you drink, is there a cut off point , cost wise, which you wouldn't pay? £5, £10, £20?

I've already reached the point of not paying pub prices. Supermarkets are getting up there too, and the quality ain't what it was. I'm tempted to start making my own again. 

27 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I refused to go in the Pink Coconut when they were charging 50p a pint when it was 22p in the local 

On 10/09/2022 at 13:43, Reggie Greenwood said:

I refused to go in the Pink Coconut when they were charging 50p a pint when it was 22p in the local 

Never mind the cost of a pint. What about the cost of the Babychams I had to buy the young lady, in the hope of a pleasurable end to the night. Paid out for three bottles of the stuff, cost an arm and leg.

Found out some years later the wife would have been happy with a couple of halves of cider.

On 10/09/2022 at 13:14, ketteringram said:

I'd have to be pi$$ed to pay £20 a pint, 1st pint was Double Diamond at 16p ?‍♀️, That went up so drank mixed...mild and bitter bloody awful, Then Skol and all the other lagers beer drinkers hate ?, Only drink on match days now ie Derby at home and Belper at home, When it becomes too expensive I'll give boozing a miss  

On 10/09/2022 at 13:14, ketteringram said:

That's cheap apparently:

"Octopus Energy chief executive Greg Jackson told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that if the price of beer had risen as much as gas prices, buying a pint would cost £25.

"People don't know what a therm is, but, underneath it, the price per therm has gone from 60p to around £5 at the moment and that's what's passing through to customers if we don't do something," he said."