Finance thread 2022.

Rev

23 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Jeez, which state are you in?

I was paying about $250 per month averaged over the year in Florida before we moved back in October 2020.

Prior to that when we rented a bigger house with a pool it regularly hit $500 per month.

Mind you. Florida is effectively a monopoly (at least Central Florida) as we only had one supplier available to us.

Do you have AC?

I'm in Tennessee, I'm also in a one bed apartment but AC runs all the time i'm in the apartment at about 20C.

In winter it doesn't get cold enough for me to put the heat on so it'll be even cheaper then too.

Edited by GeneralRam

Anyone getting excited or just encourages by Liz Truss' proposal to lift the moritorium on fracking should bear in mind what the now Chancellor of the Exchequer, then Business and Environment Secretary, Kwasi Kwarteng, wrote in an article for the Mail on Sunday back in February :

Even if we lifted the fracking moratorium tomorrow, it would take up to a decade to extract sufficient volumes – and it would come at a high cost for communities and our precious countryside.

Second, no amount of shale gas from hundreds of wells dotted across rural England would be enough to lower the European price any time soon.

And with the best will in the world, private companies are not going to sell the shale gas they produce to UK consumers below the market price.

They are not charities, after all.

The risks to the environment are potentially serious, while the benefits, by the Government's own assessment, are negligible, as I've stated previously. So, really, what's the point, other than a profit-making opportunity for the frackers?

9 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Anyone getting excited or just encourages by Liz Truss' proposal to lift the moritorium on fracking should bear in mind what the now Chancellor of the Exchequer, then Business and Environment Secretary, Kwasi Kwarteng, wrote in an article for the Mail on Sunday back in February :

The risks to the environment are potentially serious, while the benefits, by the Government's own assessment, are negligible, as I've stated previously. So, really, what's the point, other than a profit-making opportunity for the frackers?

I'm I missing something here, is this a tory minister actually talking sense. Or could it just be that he and the rest of his colleagues have no financial interest in a fracking company, so isn't pushing for fracking sites to be opened.

6 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I'm I missing something here, is this a tory minister actually talking sense. Or could it just be that he and the rest of his colleagues have no financial interest in a fracking company, so isn't pushing for fracking sites to be opened.

Allot of potential fracking sites are in rural areas with Tory MPs whose constituents are opposed to fracking in their areas, so it will be interesting to see how many of those get the go ahead. 

Some pertinent info for the lovers of fracking from a Professor of GeoSciences

“An inconvenient fact – like it or not, the UK has not discovered any good shale for onshore gas production."  

There isn’t much gas: "The most important new evidence to emerge since Cuadrilla gave up on its Lancashire boreholes has been to analyse gas production from real rock samples. This shows that the measured gas is 15 times less than the original theoretical estimates"

The gas is hard to extract: "The total gas produced by Cuadrilla from Lancashire could be enough to provide heating and water to 508 3-bed semi-detached houses for 18 days. Not much to show after spending 8 years and tens of millions of pounds."

Quakes: "The reason fracking became public was because the residents living around the drill sites noticed earthquakes under their houses, and didn’t like it. 8 years of work showed...more expensive boreholes could be drilled & still caused earthquakes of increasing energy"

UK is not USA: "UK geology is complicated, full of pre-existing faults... In USA local landowners get paid a share of the produced gas value. In the UK, the local residents get nothing except worry, inconvenience, and the chance of contaminated air and groundwater"

Abandonment: govt proposals to give abandoned boreholes to the British Geological Survey "transfers the multiple millions of pounds of clean-up liability to a public-funded research organisation."

The UK has no drillers or drill rigs: "To have any impact at all on gas production, the UK would need to drill many hundreds of shale boreholes every year for the next 10 years. Complicated drilling equipment is needed...The UK no longer has this special kit or skills.”

I'll note this doesn't even touch on the _extreme_ unpopularity of fracking among the British public. BEIS, the department Jacob Rees Mogg just inherited, found last year that only 17% of people approve of fracking

2 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Nice to see JCB’s Antony Bamford allowing the Blond Chimp to use his Gloucestershire home for his wedding, as well as chucking him £24,000 worth of expenses into the bargain for the marquee and other niceties.

?

Can do what he wants with his own property/money can’t he? 

25 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Can do what he wants with his own property/money can’t he? 

In any other case this would be called fraud/bribery. Pi$$es me right off.

I guess it will pale into insignificance once his resignation honours list has been announced, (although the Chimp being the Chimp I don’t think he actually managed to utter those words)?

Edited by Grumpy Git

49 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

In any other case this would be called fraud/bribery. Pi$$es me right off.

I guess it will pale into insignificance once his resignation honours list has been announced, (although the Chimp being the Chimp I don’t think he actually managed to utter those words)?

Wouldn’t let it bother you, not much you can do about a bloke giving some of his cash to another bloke and letting him have a party round his house. 

7 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Ahem - that's The Right Honourable Lord Bamford to you

The absolute Lord of the Bamfords

Don’t you just hate people who do ok for themselves, arghhhh those Bamfords. 

1 minute ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'm sure if I could only just make enough money to begin to bribe, sorry lobby politicians that I could quickly climb that ladder too!

You can make money, you obviously aren’t as clever or talented as others so do to your fragility you pour scorn on them. Jealousy is a terrible trait 

On 08/09/2022 at 15:28, Crewton said:

There's a terrific echo in here ?

@Stive Pesley  @Crewton The British Geological Survey has calculated that there could be as much as 37.6 trillion cubic metres of shale gas under the ground. If 10% is recoverable, it argues this would be enough to help meet the UK’s energy needs for the next five decades.…the echo is being silenced, Its happening Gents. 

9 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Don’t you just hate people who do ok for themselves, arghhhh those Bamfords. 

Bamford inherited his vast wealth and the JCB empire from his father. What he's done is been very single minded in increasing that wealth, doing whats best for himself and his family.

Working people should emulate the traits that Bamford has shown and do the same for themselves. If that means fighting for better pay, better overtime rates, more sociable hours then they should be applauded for showing the same traits as the people who make fortunes out of their labour.

The balance has tipped too far in favour of the very rich. As billionaires increase their wealth and their numbers, working people find it tougher and tougher to make ends meet. The trickle down is reversed, years and years of austerity and public utility privatisations transfer money from the bottom to the top.

Its nowt to do with hating people who do ok for themselves, I don't hate people who organise and fight for a bigger share of the country's wealth, in fact I wish more of us did it.